Watkins Glen 1948 Track???

Hello, does anyone know if the 1948 Watkins Glen track was ever converted for use in GTL? This is the original road course that went through the main street in the town and then out through the countryside when the first races were held there in 1948 before the permanent course that most are familiar with was built. I have this track working in RFactor (with some issues that still need fixed), but have always felt that it would be a better fit in GTL. Does anyone know if this was ever made for GTL or does anyone know how to convert from RFactor to GTL? Thanks in advance for any help.

As far as I know "Watkin48" was created for Grand Prix Legends and never ported to any other Sim. I had it at one time but I have been unable to locate it as of yet; the only file that I have found is an old BPOM map (see attached). I have John Bradley's original pdf if you need it.

If you send either the GPL or rFactor version to me I will probably be able to convert it to GT Legends and/or GTR2 without much trouble; just leave me a PM...

Watkin48 BPOM.jpg

Last edited:
The files for the Watkins Glen 48 track have been sent to Gary and he is working on getting them working in game. Thanks once again, Gary for doing this.
Many thanks for the files Bradd. I am happy to do, it but there are a few issues (as you know) that I am working on with the rFactor version. I should have a beta version for GT Legends ready for testing in a few days; a GTR2 version will follow after we finish beta testing.

No rush at all, Gary. I'm just very grateful that you are willing to try to get this into GTL and GTR2. It's one of my favorite tracks to drive in Rfactor. I would do it myself, but I simply lack the modding ability to do something like this.

very cool!!

I remember this track in GPL.

was in Watkins Glen for the historic event the past couple years & drove around the old course.

they replaced the old bridge last year though. unfortunately it looks new & modern now, vs the original which was stone

I agree 100%. I too have been to Watkins Glen for the Historic Grand Prix and many other times to visit all the wineries in the area. It's one of my favorite locations on Earth to visit. Have also driven the old course MANY times and even raced on the "new track" back in the early 1990's. I can't wait to be able to drive the old track in GTL as I also have fond memories of the track from the GPL days!!

Thanks Braddw25! The Sim community can see a preview video of my nearly "straight" conversion :

This from an old rFactor track that was converted from one of the coolest Grand Prix Legends circuits ever created by some of the best authors of their day.

The rFactor version simply does not do the original GPL track justice, so I have done my own conversion and I am in the process of completely reworking the original graphics to GTL / GTR2 quality (with original, unaltered Grand Prix Legends track geometry and objects) and I will upload my new version(s) to this site when I am finished with them (much later).

Last edited:
Scroll down for all hi-res updates and you can do Spring would be nice

Thanks again Durge.

I have expanded the "dat" files, examined the 3do objects and converted the mips. I do not see much of a difference, so it is possible that the rFactor version was converted from an updated GPL track.

It does not matter because, in addition to restoring all of the original track geometry/elevations, I am creating all new (3D) trees, road surfaces and farmland textures.

I realize it's several years later at this point, but does this exist for download? I'd be very interested in it, I've waited for someone to make this track since GTL came out. lol

4loom,
many years ago i converted and updated this track for GTR2.Your post sent me searching in old hard drives and i found it.Not having GTR2 installed anymore i converted it to RF2 yesterday and it runs well for a GPL conversion. My readme says:
philrob july 2015

removed miles of GPL treewalls(purged vertices,faces and textures)
attempted to fixed alpha on remaining treewalls
replaced road tex
replaced speccy tex
changed GDB/TRK file
renamed many materials
corrected normals
removed replaced and added many buildings with better 3d models IE smalleys GARAGE, whitehouse, senneca HOTEL,stone bridge
redrawn many building textures ie Schuyler County Courthouse, US Post Office-Watkins Glen, shops, offices, houses, farms etc
AIW now gtr2 type, fixed broken racing line
changed loading screen
rescaled UV on trees
new tree tex
if you would like this GTR2 version i will upload it for you.

@philrob Thank you! I've been waiting for someone to make this track since I started sim racing. Runs great!

If you or anyone you know in the modding scene ever want to take on the challenge of recreating it for any other sims, I'd be happy to help. I can be boots on the ground (literally) and get photos, videos, and measurements as needed. The town of Watkins Glen also has a great resource in the International Motor Racing Research Center that can provide photo/video of the track in period. https://www.racingarchives.org/

Thank you again! :thumbsup:

4loom,
i am glad that you like it and it runs ok, been a long time since i saw it in GTr2, i converted it from an RF1 version back in 2015 i think.
As i said i converted it to RF2 on the day i refound it in the loft and have been updating it.Its looking good but needs a lot of further work to bring it up to RF2 standards.
I will continue to work on it when time allows.The IMRRC seems an interesting site for further work. The 48 track does not seem to have a great deal of info around the Web, so i may have to take you up on the offer of photos, videos, info.
regards
phil

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 350 28.2%