Warning: Use of Illegal Software on our Servers

Bram

Founder & Administrator
Staff
Premium
In public servers there is a growing group of drivers racing with illegal pirated Skidmark software (don't click the download link). As a result of these growing numbers we have been checking our server logs thoroughly last night and the result is that some of our drivers are using the pirated games as well.

Thankfully those members can be counted on the fingers of two hands and out of the thousands that have signed up for a license membership that is pretty positive. So kudos to all who do support a developer by purchasing a legitimate copy of the game via www.steampowered.com and keep sim racing on PC alive :)

To the people with pirated software here is your first and final warning. Those of you who log in to race on our servers with games that you don't legally own will have their licensed membership revoked permanently. This means no more online racing at RD and back to the public servers.

We are not interested in the excuses that you may have to justify your illegal copy so don't bother starting a discussion to explain the reasons. We don't allow it.

What an utterly nonsense. I left a reply there:

Almost pathetic that this is still not solved after a year. All skidmarks have the same steamuser ID so how hard can it be to patch the game so all users with this ID get kicked or banned automatically.

Please don't start again that Steam is at fault here as that is really not important. Its important that it gets fixed by the developer of the game as they are the only one that can make changes.

Been almost a year since the first post was made about these Skidrows.

I have also had my real name used by other drivers in-game, impersonating me, and wrecking everyone in the game. It was not nice to join a public server and immediately someone tries to vote kick me, thinking I am the wrecker, and start hurling insults about how I was wrecking in another server earlier.

One of my friends is currently being impersonated by a SKIDROW at this moment too.

Sure wrecking on public servers is bad and we don't like it, but it was still driveable (to an extent). Now that they have some way to make you crash to desktop when you try to go to Race Monitor or chat, that is an incredibly serious fault or hack they have managed to implement on the game, and makes it literally unplayable.

I really think SimBin have given up on this issue now, and its a shame - some people don't have the time to race in leagues that I know and just go on publics to get a race, now that this is happened, the game is practically broken for them. A real shame....

If you read the RaceRoom thread I linked to, there is only a couple of SimBin developer posts. A forum volunteer is left to answer the 'what the hell is going on' questions which is pathetic.

One of my friends is currently being impersonated by a SKIDROW at this moment too.

Hmm... I recognize that guy :confused:

The sad thing is that one poeple get a SKIDROW copy to try it out. Now sure, I can understand the logic, but isn't this what demos are for? Also, I have seen numerous SKIDROWs on the 100Mbit servers who aren't actually bad or slow racers (airtonsenna 007 for instance), but I still kick them as they haven't supported SimBin whatsoever and don't deserve the privilege of being onlnie.

That's true. The trouble is that in my local log file many people's SteamID and number are listed as 'unknown'. This seems to happen less often on the server side log. (Though it does still happen sometimes)

Edit: Jamie appears to have explained the 'unknowns' below. :)

Yes, if an event finishes (let's say a one race event), as soon as it goes to event results, (or the session after that race), and minimise or quit the game and go to the log, often you can find all the driver's Steamusernames in the last session you were in.

However, you can only see those usernames if they were still in the server when the session advanced. If they quit mid-way through that session, their Steam username will not appear there. This is all available from the clientside.

Occasionally, in the times I can be bothered to look at this, from a 25 grid public server race, nearly 50% of them are SKIDROWs. However, some good servers who all SKIDROWs if there is an admin on at the time, but often they are not.

That's a possibility, yes. Result files are saved on the computers of everyone that takes part, so they can see your in-game name, Steam username, and SteamID number.
[Slot012]
Driver=Ross Garland
SteamUser=XXXX
SteamId=XXXX
Vehicle=Mini Challenge
Team=Maximum Torque Motorsports
Laps=48
LapDistanceTravelled=1290.516113
BestLap=1:35.425
RaceTime=DNF
Reason=0

Latest News