Warning: Memory Usage Critical

I sometimes get this warning, especially with the V_10 cars, the game runs smoothly though. Is this just a mistake of the game engine or am I doing something wrong?

Try running Windows Task Manager in a separate window at the same time as you are running AMS. This will show how much system RAM you are using.

If you are maxing out on available memory consider what else you having running.

I sometimes get this warning, especially with the V_10 cars, the game runs smoothly though. Is this just a mistake of the game engine or am I doing something wrong?

What is happening here is due to a 4Gb memory limit for 32 bit programs. When AMS was in development the sim would crash because too many cars were being loaded, exceeding the memory limit.
This was eventually solved by optimizing the cars and also setting a limit on the number of cars AMS would load depending on the car type. Some cars that are graphics heavy have a limit of 20 or so, other lighter cars can be up to 32.
The message was introduced early in the dev period to let users know that they were getting close to crashing the application and reduce the car number accordingly.
This allowable car limit is also track dependent too... very heavy tracks take more memory so that leaves less for the cars to use.
Another consideration is replays saved to memory, or motec telemetry that is saved to memory. The message can be helpful just in case you get close to running out of memory and prevent you from crashing the sim.

If you see this message and all is well then you should be ok, but you are very close to the 4Gb limit.

Cheers

Last edited:
What is happening here is due to a 4Gb memory limit for 32 bit programs. When AMS was in development the sim would crash because too many cars were being loaded, exceeding the memory limit.
This was eventually solved by optimizing the cars and also setting a limit on the number of cars AMS would load depending on the car type. Some cars that are graphics heavy have a limit of 20 or so, other lighter cars can be up to 32.
The message was introduced early in the dev period to let users know that they were getting close to crashing the application and reduce the car number accordingly.
This allowable car limit is also track dependent too... very heavy tracks take more memory so that leaves less for the cars to use.
Another consideration is replays saved to memory, or motec telemetry that is saved to memory. The message can be helpful just in case you get close to running out of memory and prevent you from crashing the sim.

If you see this message and all is well then you should be ok, but you are very close to the 4Gb limit.

Cheers
thanks. my game runs smoothly also in that case, never crashes. so, i will just ignore this message. ;)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 304 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 203 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 154 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 270 13.6%