Want to upgrade GPU...

...but should I?

Currently using a GTX1070 on a 40 inch HDTV at 1080p
I really want to upgrade as recently went from i7 3770k to r5 3600x
Question is, should I upgrade the GPU to;
  1. RTX 2070 Super
  2. RX 5700 XT
  3. No point unless I go to triples... (potentially at some point)
  4. Wait for next batch of cards to be released.

Last edited:
Are there any gaming titles you use that you're ever getting < 60 fps with full detail? Are you planning on getting a 4k TV or an ultra-wide monitor soon?
Well ACC for a start... but that's a few people I think.
Most titles are full whack except perhaps Crysis 2 and 3 and titles like that, Star Wars Battlefront II is maxed I think but will need to check.
Trouble is I dont have that much time for any hobbies so if I get a moment I put rF2 for practice, between 240 and 300+ fps on my own practising or 170 to 200+ fps with 29 AI. I do have some settings dialed back I think.
But I'm seriously considering triple 1080p monitors or a 144hz ultrawide at some point, possibly in the new year.

1070 should be enough for 1x1080p 60fps for almost anything right now and you can slightly reduce settings where it can't hit 60 fps with almost imperceptible overall picture quality decrease

Pick 4. Unless your primary game is one of those needing to be dialed back. You have good fps in rF2... how are they at night & in the rain?

Triples are a mixed bag. I love having the side monitors filling the peripheral vision and being able to take a look over there. The downside is that your GPU has to be at least a 1080ti (or 2070) to avoid turning down settings as sims get more graphic details and not all sims (ACC) properly support triples. Increase monitor resolution (1440p), desired refresh rate, or graphic details as new games come on the market... well, then you want a stronger GPU, so it becomes a never-ending upgrade cycle. Sometimes I consider just getting a 4k TV.

I am at the same point asking myself if I should replace my 1070. But I am running the Index with higher resolution.

R3E and rfactor 2 are fine, but ACC is not. But I am not convinced buying a 500 € GPU for one game (thats still not finished and I cant get hooked with). So maybe next gen of GPUS or current on good sale. Or AMD 5800/5900 if they are going to have a good price tag.

Unless you're targeting high resolution, there's little point in upgrading. Even on 1070, if you're using a reasonable resolution, you will be limited by the CPU, not by the GPU. Even in ACC, if your graphics settings are reasonable.

Pick 4. Unless your primary game is one of those needing to be dialed back. You have good fps in rF2... how are they at night & in the rain?

Triples are a mixed bag. I love having the side monitors filling the peripheral vision and being able to take a look over there. The downside is that your GPU has to be at least a 1080ti (or 2070) to avoid turning down settings as sims get more graphic details and not all sims (ACC) properly support triples. Increase monitor resolution (1440p), desired refresh rate, or graphic details as new games come on the market... well, then you want a stronger GPU, so it becomes a never-ending upgrade cycle. Sometimes I consider just getting a 4k TV.
Haven't tested in night and rain yet. Expecting a pretty severe drop but will check and get back on that.
I'm really considering triples or a 144hz ultra at some point. Although with the need for a proper 8020 rig and racing seat it's just a black hole of money for the wife but an absolute necessity for me... :roflmao:

Unless you're targeting high resolution, there's little point in upgrading. Even on 1070, if you're using a reasonable resolution, you will be limited by the CPU, not by the GPU. Even in ACC, if your graphics settings are reasonable.
Yeah, I won't be able to afford higher resolution for a while yet. I'd be happy for faster response and refresh right now. I know ACC doesn't properly support triples so considering ultrawide but it will probably not be a hike in resolution unless the prices drop considerably.
ACC runs pretty decently for me at the moment. Guess I'll wait for now. Thanks to all for your help with staving off my constant desire to upgrade with hard facts. Appreciate it. :thumbsup:

4 is always a safe bet. The real question is: When should we expect a next generation video card to reach market at a reasonable cost?
I wonder if Intel will shake it up a bit?
If they can deliver something on par to AMD and/or nVidia for less then it may force the other two to bring their prices down... I'm dreaming obviously. Why would any of them bring the prices down when they can charge what they want and people will still buy?

The option 4 people are interesting.

Nvidia just launched a mid cycle refresh.
AMD just launched a new architecture.

What is it that you’re waiting for?

Gonna stick with the 1070 and build myself a basic 8020 with used bucket seat with the savings. I'll return to a possible upgrade if I struggle with triples.
Will only be used Dell 23 inch 1080p monitors so hopefully not too taxing on the system.

Gonna stick with the 1070 and build myself a basic 8020 with used bucket seat with the savings. I'll return to a possible upgrade if I struggle with triples.
Will only be used Dell 23 inch 1080p monitors so hopefully not too taxing on the system.
Triple 1080p is are fewer pixels than my 3440x1440. About 1/4.
I'm fine in all sims with 60-100 fps depending on the Sim and the settings so I guess you'll be fine too :)

Are the monitors already a fixed decision? You won't be able to run 144 fps and Dell isn't really famous for gsync compatible 23" monitors afaik.
So you'll have to choose between non-sync stuttering or maybe setting the monitors to 80 hz or whatever they have available.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 318 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 447 39.2%