VWSR S1: Virtual World Series by Renault

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember a while back you saying not to update before the last race. A shame that the posts are not read by those taking part. I suggest in future there is an 'Alert' thread that is a mandatory read.

I cannot imagine the work and effort you have put into this Marco but, for sure, you have been dragged through the lessons the hard way. May future events be a lot smoother for you.

I wish the rF2 Pit Menu was like the Race series, along with the Preset function. Having to mess with it to attend a S&G is a pain.

When did you make staff status Ole? :) And is this the reason why 'no racing' you know where, I was asking about?

Ok.. Have a hard decision to make here... Updating is not possible at this moment. Need to know if I will prospone, or cancel saturdays race. It's a lot of work, for 1 last round, and I expect that a lot already updated.

Will let you know very soon.

I wouldnt worry buddy either way its Monaco F1 always a must watch. ;) For me its been a steep learning curve into sim racing, but i have loved it. I think your hard work has payed off for a complete Megan League series.

Cheers mate loved it.

ps Let me know if I can update

Stu

Well, let me put my arguments on first. The options we have are:

- Continue with the race tomorrow, on build 69.
- Update to buil 89, update the mod, and do it on 89.
- Cancel the race.

One by one.

This is what we originaly agreed on. IF an update would arrive, nobody would update, so we could test it first. I expect that a few already updated, and what I do NOT want is to have either my whole saturday afternoon spend behind the computer helping everyone to get it up and running, or race in the evening with only 15 guys as the rest hasn't got the mod working. It's a super nice day tomorrow in terms of weather here in Holland, and i have plans to go out with the family. That means I can not help out duriung the day, with the risk of a limited field of drivers.

- Update to build 89, update the mod, and do it on 89.
I have looked into this option, and there are 2 major concerns I have here. First one is I have to redo the whole skinpack again. That means that everyone has to do another download of 160+ MB, and with the download speeds of Mediafire and gamefront, that can cause issues on such a late notice.
Second concern is the fact that I have to make a total new mod, which will be seperate from the RDWSR mof we already had. This due to the fact that Searspoint is not updateable to version 1.3, which was needed for the original mod.

- Cancel the race.
Obviously the most easy choice, but also the one with the least fun ;). For those that still want to do the Megane @ Fuji race, there is the upcoming 2.5 hrs of Fuji event, so a simular race is planned already. That would eliminate the fact that I need to redo skinpack and mod again.

So, 3 options, and none of them are anything I like. Then there is 1 more thing that comes to mind in terms of making a choice.
We where supposed to do a night finish. There have already been some comments on the ammount of light available in the middle of the night. This combined with the super narrow lights from the Meganes in build 69, makes it practicaly undoable to push to the max during the night. IF we would continue the race, I have to replan the time schedule of day and night, to make sure we end in nightFALL instead of the night.

Last but not least, the update it self. The update seems to have a positive effect on a lot of things. Lights have improved, shadows are better, FPS is up, and more things have improved. To do a race in the older build, with all it's problems, somehow doesn't seem right to me.

So, the conclusion. I think it's a wise thing to NOT have the race tomorrow. Although I will leave the server up in the previous build until sunday, the championship officially stops. This means everyone can start updating their rfactor, and enjoy the improvements and new car. Those driving here, are the backbone of the rfactor club, so keeping you all to the previous build, is keeping progress down, and I do not want to do that.

I will start doing the prework for a new league in rfactor2. Not sure what it would be yet, but I can say that it will cover open wheelers. Probably the Classic Formula World Championship or something. Have to see what I will do.

I am sorry that we have to cancel the last and final race for this championship. Although I am very glad we did this championship to test rfactor2 and it's league capabilities. All in all I am very happy with the results, and hereby, I would really like to express my gratitude to you guys for your level of support and understanding in this league! I know we had some issues, and there where some problems, but all in all, I have heard less complaining then in a "regular" league. So, in short, I am proud of the rfactor2 driver group we have now, and I am glad you helped me prove a lot of people wrong, when they said that having a pre-league for testing purposes would not work as people would expect everything to go smoothly.

So, my appologies for canceling the race for tomorrow, and my thanks for all your understandings. Ik hope to see you all again soon in the new rfactor2 league.

FINAL ROUND CANCELLED!!!!

Well, let me put my arguments on first. The options we have are:

- Update to buil 89, update the mod, and do it on 89.
- Cancel the race.

One by one.

This is what we originaly agreed on. IF an update would arrive, nobody would update, so we could test it first. I expect that a few already updated, and what I do NOT want is to have either my whole saturday afternoon spend behind the computer helping everyone to get it up and running, or race in the evening with only 15 guys as the rest hasn't got the mod working. It's a super nice day tomorrow in terms of weather here in Holland, and i have plans to go out with the family. That means I can not help out duriung the day, with the risk of a limited field of drivers.

- Update to build 89, update the mod, and do it on 89.
I have looked into this option, and there are 2 major concerns I have here. First one is I have to redo the whole skinpack again. That means that everyone has to do another download of 160+ MB, and with the download speeds of Mediafire and gamefront, that can cause issues on such a late notice.
Second concern is the fact that I have to make a total new mod, which will be seperate from the RDWSR mof we already had. This due to the fact that Searspoint is not updateable to version 1.3, which was needed for the original mod.

- Cancel the race.
Obviously the most easy choice, but also the one with the least fun ;). For those that still want to do the Megane @ Fuji race, there is the upcoming 2.5 hrs of Fuji event, so a simular race is planned already. That would eliminate the fact that I need to redo skinpack and mod again.

So, 3 options, and none of them are anything I like. Then there is 1 more thing that comes to mind in terms of making a choice.
We where supposed to do a night finish. There have already been some comments on the ammount of light available in the middle of the night. This combined with the super narrow lights from the Meganes in build 69, makes it practicaly undoable to push to the max during the night. IF we would continue the race, I have to replan the time schedule of day and night, to make sure we end in nightFALL instead of the night.

Last but not least, the update it self. The update seems to have a positive effect on a lot of things. Lights have improved, shadows are better, FPS is up, and more things have improved. To do a race in the older build, with all it's problems, somehow doesn't seem right to me.

So, the conclusion. I think it's a wise thing to NOT have the race tomorrow. Although I will leave the server up in the previous build until sunday, the championship officially stops. This means everyone can start updating their rfactor, and enjoy the improvements and new car. Those driving here, are the backbone of the rfactor club, so keeping you all to the previous build, is keeping progress down, and I do not want to do that.

I will start doing the prework for a new league in rfactor2. Not sure what it would be yet, but I can say that it will cover open wheelers. Probably the Classic Formula World Championship or something. Have to see what I will do.

I am sorry that we have to cancel the last and final race for this championship. Although I am very glad we did this championship to test rfactor2 and it's league capabilities. All in all I am very happy with the results, and hereby, I would really like to express my gratitude to you guys for your level of support and understanding in this league! I know we had some issues, and there where some problems, but all in all, I have heard less complaining then in a "regular" league. So, in short, I am proud of the rfactor2 driver group we have now, and I am glad you helped me prove a lot of people wrong, when they said that having a pre-league for testing purposes would not work as people would expect everything to go smoothly.

So, my appologies for canceling the race for tomorrow, and my thanks for all your understandings. Ik hope to see you all again soon in the new rfactor2 league.

I really can't understand why you are cancelling, but if thats the way it's got to be then I respect your decision Marco. I would however just like to add my bit (sorry).

It was clearly stated that build 69 would be used for the entire season, and that we were all locked into this build until the end, regardless of any new builds being released. I could have quite easily updated yesterday, but decided to wait until after saturday night to do it. It's hardly gonna kill me to wait a couple of days.

If people haven't read all the info about the league then really that's their own fault, and if they miss an event because they haven't read the rules and regulations, then they have no reason to complain IMO.

The only reason that I think this event should be cancelled is if the mod nolonger works, but if we are all still on 69 there is no reason it shouldn't. We have put up with the current build for the rest of the races this season, so why should it be so painfull to do 1 more.

As far as your Saturday afternoon goes Marco, you should go out and enjoy yourself. You really shouldn't have to be playing nurse maid to people, surely we're far enough into this league for everyone to have an understanding of how to use the RF2 system and if they don't change anything everything should work Saturday night.

I think it's a real shame that we don't complete what we all committed to when we signed up, not forgetting the time people have put in practicing for this event :(

Well, my biggest concern if I would have said to continue, is the fact that combined with me not being present saturday to help get (re) installs worked out again, the total grid would be round 15 guys. I really do not want to put all that effort in, just for a grid of 15 out of 30.

Further, I need to re-plan the server settings, because it simply get's to dark during the night. If we start with 15, we probably have around 12 left when night falls, and maybe we will have 5 finishers as the rest wrecks his car during the night.

All in all, I really think this is the smartest thing to do. We can still race with the ones that have the build 69 installed. Thats no problem, as the server will be up, and in the same build. I just do not want to take results from half a grid into the end results.

I would have rather went on and finished it as well. It's just a very unlucky timing of ISI to release this update.

I also think it's sad (and there goes the chance for my first - and most likely only league win ever :p).
But that was the risk with this "Season 0" with a beta-game. It's been great great fun though!

Oh, and this means that I only have a 12hrs race tomorrow. Should make practicing a bit easier as well.

Real life GT series are interesting. Normally the races are 1 hour long and there are two drivers sharing a car. One day when rF2 matures enough it would be interesting to drive a league with similar or slightly altered concept.

So, is this race going ahead or not? I do think it gets dark, but I also think with practice you can learn to drive it. As for the build issues, people can always reinstall and only update to build 69.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 291 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 203 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 144 7.5%