VW Motorsport Boss to Present F1 Plan to Board

It will be Mercedes, they have already said they had no issues with Mercedes having their own team.

Just like Renault had no problems supplying Red Bull despite them having their own works team.

I doubt McLaren will want to be the only top 4 team that has to pay for their engines.
As Luke said, Red Bull don't pay for their engines now that they're branding them as 'Infiniti'.

Not sure i would call it a works team as they only get the engine but i get what you mean and i agree, mclaren should get them for free.

How many championships have they got with a merc powered car?

Edit: Crhis managed to sneak in one post,

I think if you are receiving a service - you should be paying for it.

F1 engines are not cheap, so to expect them for free, regardless of the team is just plain cheeky.

It depends. If you look at it from the other side.
Engine suppliers aren't allowed to charge more than $8m per year to supply a team.

For all we know, the Infiniti side of the business could've been spending $10-15m per year on the same level of advertising and exposure.
So by the holding company agreeing to supply Red Bull with engines for free, in exchange for massive exposure of the Infiniti brand (on the World Championship winning cars), they could actually save $2-7m per year.

It depends. If you look at it from the other side.
Engine suppliers aren't allowed to charge more than $8m per year to supply a team.

For all we know, the Infiniti side of the business could've been spending $10-15m per year on the same level of advertising and exposure.
So by the holding company agreeing to supply Red Bull with engines for free, in exchange for massive exposure of the Infiniti brand (on the World Championship winning cars), they could actually save $2-7m per year.

Very well put Chris.

I like!

I doubt McLaren will want to be the only top 4 team that has to pay for their engines.
As Luke said, Red Bull don't pay for their engines now that they're branding them as 'Infiniti'.

McLaren dismisses rumours about F1 engine link-up with PURE

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97227

Last November, McLaren's managing director Jonathan Neale had to dismiss reports that the outfit was trying to lure Honda back into F1.
"That is all wide of the mark," said Neale about the Honda speculation. "We are very happy with and enjoying our partnership with Mercedes-Benz. We are not quite sure where that story came from in truth.
"But I can stop the rumour and say that we are entirely focused on our Mercedes-Benz relationship. It is a long one spanning many wins and championships and long may it continue."
McLaren's current engine deal is understood to run until the end of 2015.

Correct. They stop getting them free at the end of 2012 and they stop getting supplied by Mercedes altogether in 2015.
No the contract just goes to 2015, it does say they will quit with Mercedes engines after 2015.

"But I can stop the rumour and say that we are entirely focused on our Mercedes-Benz relationship. It is a long one spanning many wins and championships and long may it continue."

Sure, maybe I should've phrased it differently.
What I meant to say was they will stop being supplied by Mercedes in 2015, unless another deal is signed.
My mistake :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back