VW ID.R Sets New Nordschleife Lap Record

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Electric Record on Nordschleife.jpg

The mightily impressive Volkswagen ID. R Electric prototype has set a blisteringly fast new recording at the Nürburgring Nordschleife... 6:05,336....

Yup, you read that correctly. A lap of the 'Green Hell' in almost 6 minutes flat... now that is some crazy fast speed from the incredibly impressive new electric prototype car from VW - the ID. R.

Driver by Le Mans racer of note Romain Dumas, himself a double winner of the endurance classic and one of the most accomplished and successful long distance drivers in modern motorsport, the 41-year-old Frenchman has added yet another impressive achievement to his growing CV of successes as VW simply smashed the electric lap record at what is regularly described as the toughest motorsport venue in the world - Nordschleife.

Having a target of 6:45.9 to beat - an already astonishing record set by the monstrously powerful NextEV NIO EP9 back in 2017 - Dumas took almost a full 40 seconds off the electric lap record in the brand new ID. R today, becoming the second fastest car to ever record a lap at the German venue. Despite the impressive performance, VW still need to find more laptime if they plan to dethrone the mighty Porsche 919 special edition - the car built as a tribute to the retired LMP1 racer holding on to top spot with an eye watering 5:19.6s lap record pace.

With the Nords electric lap record added to both the EV records scored at Pikes Peak and the Goodwood Hillclimb, what next for this mightily impressive piece of racing technology?

Roman Dumas Nords lap record.jpg

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
This record will be interesting to watch over the next few years & they have the Porsche 919 record to aim for.Once that record is gone it could be electric all the way on road & track......

This car@ Le Mans. When?
They will have to fix then the max speed of 250 km/h :D

It is quick, but without much emotion.
I looked at egrand prix at monaco the other day, and it wad soooo boring.
The pilots have to break as soon as the have 1%less battery as the other cars.

How many laps can do thid prototype around the nordshleife ?
Probably only one.
Endurance race with battery swap every lap ?

Probably only one.
I think it's possible. Removable battery cartridge+ some sort of crane in pits.

Cool. It had dropped 25km/h on the last straight and it didnt have the top speed i thought initially. Going fast in corners makes up for it tho. :)

Probably only one.

Got to say, that Formula E is growing on me.... I am seeking help!

They'll sure have to fix the topspeed issue for later tries, or gear it differently, it has plenty of acceleration and power, so I dont know why they capped it at 260'ish.
Oh and forget LeMans, as someone else pointed out, changing battery or recharging in a short time is very far off in the distance.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 315 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 447 39.3%