VW ID.R Sets New Nordschleife Lap Record

Great to watch...(hope they do a full in-car only lap video)...

But what is interesting is that the car is "limited" to about 250+- . It would do a sub 6 minute lap if they could get the top speed to 280-300. Maybe in a year or so they will. So fast!!

Somehow I'm not as hyped as when it was done with the 919.
Same. I'm actually wondering if they put a ICE with proper hosepower how much faster they'd go (and how lighter the car would be), you can see the car top speed is on a GT3 level so most of this lap time is coming from aero alone
That Nissan ZEOD engine was only 40kg and could push the car to 300kph (400hp), of course that crazy aero helped, but makes you wonder if they get a F1 engine with no fuel restrictions in this car...

Last edited:
Same. I'm actually wondering if they put a ICE with proper hosepower how much faster they'd go (and how lighter the car would be), you can see the car top speed is on a GT3 level so most of this lap time is coming from aero alone

First of all, they'd have to re-engineer the the chassis to fit an engine and gearbox. Secondly, the speed is limited because they were fighting diminishing returns at higher speeds since I suspect the batteries were the same as it was when it went up Pikes Peak last year.

This is a issue with EV (battery), the ZEOD was the same thing, could do a lap of LM with 3l of fuel but needed energy from 150kg of batteries to do the same due to the high speeds.
Yeah they'd need to redesign it to use a ICE, everyone knows that. Still curious how fast it would go because this is a pure time attack car. The 919 despite the adaptations was still from a regulated car.

A bit boring to watch yes - but probably not to drive.:laugh:
The reason they have capped this "thing" to max 240-250 km/H is because the drag is increasing more or less "exponential" above that speed.:geek:
Imagine a car with a topspeed of 160 km/h (100 mph), the engine produces 70 hp.
If you want that exact same car without modifications to aerodynamics to go twice as fast, you need 560 hp, eight times as much.
That's due to wind resistance, which does not increase squared but cubed.
https://www.quora.com/Does-horsepower-have-diminishing-return!

Surely they will get to the point when it'll require inhuman reflexes and a level of control that only.... AI can produce?

Stonking lap though.

It was the first formula E i have looked at.
Maybe monaco was not the best place for that.

Most tracks are tight, there is much contact between cars. The recent Belgian race has a wide corner which was interesting to see, wish more tracks had that.

I still struggle with the sound point of view, love attack mode, adds an interesting element. I thought at first it was a gimmick.... but turns out it really adds to it. Interesting that ex F1 drivers are not at the top of the field.

Anyway, back on topic.

These news electric cars, whilst they don't have the sound element that we love and enjoy outside of the cockpit. Boy I reckon they are fun to drive!

These fast electric hypercars (and racecars) are utterly pointless: Range limitations are the issue, they haven't been solved in over a century and aren't solved now. A prewar car would beat this over any reasonable distance - like 2 laps.
This is nothing but PR to get us to buy into a uncompetitive and environmentally questionable technology.

Adding fuel to the tank or changing batteries.... I cannot see the difference. I think it was great to see the VW blast around the track - blowing away the previous record.

Just because we are used to the combustion engine, does not make an electric engine bad - IN MY OWN HUMBLE OPINION, mind you...;););)

OK, he drives in the "Fuchsröhre" 272km / h, but on the "Döttinger" only 248km / h. Why?
and why are we allowed to drive only 240km / h? he does not fully drive the "Mutkurve" and he drives the carousel on the outside.
Interesting.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back