VRS DirectForce Pro DD Wheel System - anyone planning to buy?

I was leaning toward AccuForce V2, but then came across this similarly priced DD system.

Pros: Price, 20 nm Mige Motor, front mount bracket, simple software, high quality components, encoder and cables

Cons: new product / new hardware company, limited tuning capabilities, no reviews in other games besides iracing

Neutral: Barry of SRG said not as smooth as his daily driver - Bodnar SS2/Kollmorgen 54G, but wouldn’t expect it to at 3-4x the cost.

EDIT: this was not compared to the SC2 in Barry’s video, but rather his Bodnar

Last edited:
not as smooth as SC2 (per SRG)

Where did Barry say that?
He didn't say it's not as smooth as SC2, he said it's not as smooth as "my wheel that I use everyday" (source), and that's not an SC2. His daily driver is Bodnar SS2/Kollmorgen 54G, which is $3200, or more than 3x (nearly 4x as much if you don't include the steering mount which the Bodnar also doesn't include) as much as the VRS DirectForce Pro. He also said, "and I wouldn't expect it to be" because of its price point. And actually Barry never compares competing products directly to each other. He's never made a comparison between the Accuforce V2, SC2 Pro or DD1/DD2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

It looks like old school OSW on unknown controller.

Upvote 0
Where did Barry say that?
He didn't say it's not as smooth as SC2, he said it's not as smooth as "my wheel that I use everyday" (source), and that's not an SC2. His daily driver is Bodnar SS2/Kollmorgen 54G, which is $3200, or more than 3x (nearly 4x as much if you don't include the steering mount which the Bodnar also doesn't include) as much as the VRS DirectForce Pro. He also said, "and I wouldn't expect it to be" because of its price point. And actually Barry never compares competing products directly to each other. He's never made a comparison between the Accuforce V2, SC2 Pro or DD1/DD2.

Yes, my mistake. Corrected it in my original post. Thanks

Upvote 0
I did pre order one . I ask some question , they reply quite fast .. hopefully they will have something like a pre setting guide ( in the Facebook or group user chat in the future ) example : safe setting profile . Aggressive driving profile etc when they release the it . So we can play the game more ..

Upvote 0
I was considering it, when the CSL DD was announced initially I wondered whether I would prefer to pay +200 and get a 20nm VRS instead. Out of that comparison came three things that if you are considering a SC2 wont impact you but did impact my decision

1. The price isn't the price, you need to spend $100 extra to make it possible to attach steering wheels to it and it to the rig.
  2. The software still over a year later contains nonfunctional sliders. It has just 3 sliders, maximum torque, dampening and smoothing and the rest is non functional. You either like the VRS FFB or you suffer with it because you can't change it in its settings.
  3. The problem with this solution compared to fanatec is the cost of wheels. When every wheel has to have a complete board with USB connectivity and wires you end up paying quite a bit more for the steering wheel than you would on a Fanatec solution.
Once I run down the actual comparison the VRS was only about $200 cheaper than a DD1 equivalent solution, that was far away from the solution that a CSL DD was likely to be. So I decided against it. I think if the software had evolved and at the very least implemented all its pieces at some point in the last year I might have done it anyway but that lack of progress is a big problem since it is just an OSW without the open source software and the standard controller. With no apparent improvements coming to adjust feel I didn't think it was a good long term product, it might survive decades but the software was clearly not invested in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was considering it, when the CSL DD was announced initially I wondered whether I would prefer to pay +200 and get a 20nm VRS instead. Out of that comparison came three things that if you are considering a SC2 wont impact you but did impact my decision

1. The price isn't the price, you need to spend $100 extra to make it possible to attach steering wheels to it and it to the rig.
  2. The software still over a year later contains nonfunctional sliders. It has just 3 sliders, maximum torque, dampening and smoothing and the rest is non functional. You either like the VRS FFB or you suffer with it because you can't change it in its settings.
  3. The problem with this solution compared to fanatec is the cost of wheels. When every wheel has to have a complete board with USB connectivity and wires you end up paying quite a bit more for the steering wheel than you would on a Fanatec solution.
Once I run down the actual comparison the VRS was only about $200 cheaper than a DD1 equivalent solution, that was far away from the solution that a CSL DD was likely to be. So I decided against it. I think if the software had evolved and at the very least implemented all its pieces at some point in the last year I might have done it anyway but that lack of progress is a big problem since it is just an OSW without the open source software and the standard controller. With no apparent improvements coming to adjust feel I didn't think it was a good long term product, it might survive decades but the software was clearly not invested in.
Check out Sim Racing Coach. They sell a Thrustmaster to OSW wheel conversion kit along with quick release for 150 Euro plus shipping (I'm guessing it would be less than $50 shipping but haven't inquired yet). Chris Haye has a great review of the conversion kit on his YouTube channel. I've been considering the Direct Force Pro as well and don't want to spend $1000 on a wheel, so I think I've found the cheapest, best option - for me at least - to find a good, affordable rim to go with the VRS base.

If you already own a Thrustmaster rim, it will only cost you around $200 to convert it for use with the VRS. So, $897 shipped for the VRS Direct Force Pro and Mounting Bracket if you live in the US (you won't need the Hub Adapter if you buy the quick release from Sim Racing Coach) + $200 to convert a Thrustmaster wheel if you already own one. If not, you can buy most of the Thrustmaster wheels for well under $200 and get it converted, then you have a very nice wheel to use with the VRS for well under $400. Very comparable to most Fanatec offerings.

If you don't like Thrustmaster rims, then you can get a Fanatec conversion kit from Sim Racing Coach as well for 110 Euro instead of 99 for the Thrustmaster conversion kit. I happen to be the oddball that prefers Thrustmaster's round rims to Fanatec's, and also think their Open Wheel rim is just as good as any of Fanatec's Formula rims except for the V2. And I have owned or used every Fanatec Formula rim.

So, TLDR: You can buy the Direct Force Pro with a mounting solution, quick release, and converted Thrustmaster rim for less than $1100 if you already own a Thrustmaster rim, or about $1250 if you need to buy a Thrustmaster rim. But the bottom line is that there is a very affordable option to convert both Thrustmaster and Fanatec rims for use with the VRS and other OSW style bases.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back