VRS Direct Force Pro - first werk of use

Des Pearce

Premium
I had owned an Accuforce Pro (V1) for 7 months and liked much of what it did, sure there's a notchiness when turned off and the wheel/button box whilst functional wasn't as nice as some other wheels I've tried but overall it does a great job at communicating the important stuff. I found the software though frankly bewildering and was always wondering if tinkering in the software would improve things. Eventually I decided I wanted something (a) new and (b) simpler software. After much reading, watching videos and talking to people I decided on a new VRS direct force pro wheelbase with a used Turn R20/ SRC button plate combo from the classifieds.

I wasn't expecting a massive jump in quality of feedback compared to the Accuforce but I'm pleasantly surprised at how different the setup is. The feedback is more nuanced with better feeling around the limits of grip in all the sims I use, this is probably a combination of the lighter rim/button combo (half the weight almost exactly), the extra rigidity of the mounting method and the extra headroom the wheelbase has (along with potentially a smoother motor). Certainly the software fits the bill, simple and each adjustment is felt immediately so less messing and more driving! The out of the box settings are a good starting point in most sims and a few minutes tuning gets it 95% of the way there. The biggest difference is iRacing, my lap times are tumbling with each session and the cars I drive most now feel great and have their own custom presets.

Overall it's improved the sim racing experience for me, I drive more, I'm more consistent and get up to speed more quickly than before and enjoy using it more, the rim/button box combo might have made a bigger difference than the base, I'll never know and don't really care, the simpler, quicker and less fiddly way it works is worth the extra money. I'm glad I had the Accuforce and for the cost, secondhand, it is a great bit of kit, a quantum leap up from the Fanatec CSW2.5 et al and without owning it I'd never have believed spending what I did on the new kit could be worth it, boy was I wrong!

Any niggles? I wish there was a reasonably priced wireless wheel DD wheelbase/wheel setup or a wireless option for use with the MiGE motor but, for my requirements, that's about it.

I've really enjoyed my VRS DFP the past few months I've had it. Great consistent feedback, with smoothing applied from latest firmware there is no notchiness involved. Rock solid motor with shielded cables and a nice small controller box that is silent. Very good option for anyone wanting to stay in the $1200-1300usd range since you can determine which wheel you want. I also like the simplicity of the software myself. I don't have an excess of free racing time so when I get on, I'd rather just race than fiddle and tune. Some people do have the time and love to fine tune the software on other wheels which is cool too.

Upvote 0
Another concern with AccuForce, beyond fan noise,
is robustness of motor cable connections to its controller,
where VRS provides appreciably better strain relief...

The controller on my Accuforce Pro (v1) was silent, the push fit cables are less than ideal and may have been the reason for the flaky operation of the inbuilt usb hub.

Upvote 0
I have just finished my first week of testing VRS DFP. Upgrading from a 1st Gen CSL Elite + Formula rim. I am using Penguin r/c's Accurforce formula rim button box + AF formula rim with duramold handles (290 mm diameter). I have been using Fanatec Formula rim with magnetic shifter mod, and was a bit concerned getting the Penguin r/c box which uses springs. But it feels great. I totally love these paddles. The switch knob to change functions on this box feels like a good idea and is the main reason I bought it, but it turns out a bit clumsy to use. You can find Barry's review on a different but same functionality box in this link:

Interestingly, I bought the VRS DFP second hand from a gentleman who ordered both a VRS DFP and an AFv2 at the same time. VRS DFP arrived first, he played with it for 2 weeks, and then AFv2 arrived, he switched, said he could not tell a difference, and then decided to sell the VRS DFP. I have a friend who recently upgraded from AFv2 to VRS DFP and told me there definitely is a huge difference.

Anyways back to my experience. I was a little bit worried that the VRS DFP would turn out to be just an "iRacing machine", but it actually works pretty well with other titles I play. The FFB is much more "clean", and it is really much easier to save a slide. I now understand why I see some people say using a direct drive wheel is a bit cheating.

iRacing: good improvement. I don't use irFFB on either the CSL or the VRS DFP, and the VRS DFP offers a huge amount of improvement with almost no need to tweak. However, I find the directions at VRS website a bit confusing. Also they only listed recommended max torque settings for just a handful of cars. For a racing school service specialized for iRacing I expect they have recommended settings for all cars. But I can just ignore all that. iRacing does not need much fiddling for me.
AC: FFB is cleaner and slides are easier to handle. A bit improvement over the CSL but now as much as the jump I feel in iRacing. When driving high downforce cars, the FFB from the tires can overwhelm small details and effects so that is not nice. I heard that in Simucube software there is a filter that can tweak and help people feel these effects even with high load. Hopefully VRS can implement something like that in the future.
ACC: similar extent of FFB improvement over the CSL like with AC. Also losing some detailed effects with heavy load.
AMS and rF2: I don't feel these two give me significant improvement apart from that the slides are easier to catch. The wheel rotation angle settings does not work properly. You can check the guides on VRS website to see what kind of in-game out-game back and forth is needed to keep the steering wheel rotation angle correct. I find that I have to do the same with rF2. Also the new UI in rF2 to adjust steering angle is ridiculous. I have to hold down the left/right arrows and wait for it to go from, for example, 540 to 900, very slowly. The arrow button makes the angle go 1 degrees per click and I can't manually input a number. Oops sorry for being off-topic.
Race07: game unable to recognize the wheel. Unplayable.
LFS: FFB is broken. Turning to left and turning to right give totally different feedback. Unplayable.

The biggest surprise for me was Raceroom. Previously with the CSL I found the game very bland and boring. I feel either nothing from the wheel, or feel just crazy vibration for no good reason. Now I followed GamerMuscle's recommendation on R3E FFB settings on his Fanatec DD, and the game is so enjoyable to play right now that I can't stop driving. I have always heard that Raceroom is notoriously hard to set right on a DD wheelbase, but my experience is that I get the biggest FFB improvement swtiching to a DD in Raceroom among all the sim titles I tried.

Upvote 0
I don't play iRacing, my main games are AC, ACC, AM2, R3E. I am concerned about the poor feel in these games that has been described here. I am concerned if I will experience any improvement over Fantec v2.5. I hope to find out soon.
The only variable is the base, the wheel will remain the same Formula V2, so I think it will be an excellent test for the VRS DFP.
Despite so many opinions that other titles do not contribute anything, I decided to take a risk, I hope I will not regret it.

I tested with a colleague VRS DFP and unfortunately, but I could not say if it is better than Fanatec v2.5, too many variables.

Upvote 0
I don't play iRacing, my main games are AC, ACC, AM2, R3E. I am concerned about the poor feel in these games that has been described here. I am concerned if I will experience any improvement over Fantec v2.5. I hope to find out soon.
The only variable is the base, the wheel will remain the same Formula V2, so I think it will be an excellent test for the VRS DFP.
Despite so many opinions that other titles do not contribute anything, I decided to take a risk, I hope I will not regret it.

I tested with a colleague VRS DFP and unfortunately, but I could not say if it is better than Fanatec v2.5, too many variables.
I think I am the only one in this thread talking about the experience with VRS DFP per sim racing title, and I did not say the experience was poor on AC, ACC, AMS, or R3E. In fact I say VRS has given me so much improvement for R3E that the game changed from one of my least favorite to one of the best feeling games for me, coming from a CSL elite base. For AC, ACC, and AMS, the FFB also has huge improvement, but just not as night-and-day as felt with iRacing and R3E. I used Formula black on the CSL and the AF formula rim+button box with VRS, these two rims are similar in size and weight.

Recently a friend who spends more time practicing drifting in AC on his T300rs than any other forms of sim racing came over to my place and tested my VRS base with a 32cm wheel. He could almost immediately start drifting with no issues. So I don't think the wheelbase is just an iRacing circuit racing machine at all. It does other stuff just fine.

I have used CSW 2.0 before, and I don't think the CSW base is on the same level of a direct drive system.

Upvote 0
I think I am the only one in this thread talking about the experience with VRS DFP per sim racing title, and I did not say the experience was poor on AC, ACC, AMS, or R3E. In fact I say VRS has given me so much improvement for R3E that the game changed from one of my least favorite to one of the best feeling games for me, coming from a CSL elite base. For AC, ACC, and AMS, the FFB also has huge improvement, but just not as night-and-day as felt with iRacing and R3E. I used Formula black on the CSL and the AF formula rim+button box with VRS, these two rims are similar in size and weight.

Recently a friend who spends more time practicing drifting in AC on his T300rs than any other forms of sim racing came over to my place and tested my VRS base with a 32cm wheel. He could almost immediately start drifting with no issues. So I don't think the wheelbase is just an iRacing circuit racing machine at all. It does other stuff just fine.

I have used CSW 2.0 before, and I don't think the CSW base is on the same level of a direct drive system.

As a bit of a follow up....

I now mainly play RRE and ACC, both games feel much better than they did using the Accuforce I previously owned. RRE in particular is like a different game with a real feeling of weight transfer and on the limit feel. I totally agree that it feels excellent in all the games it supports....

Upvote 0
Thank you very much for these messages, I can't wait to see it all for themselves.
If that's not a problem, can I ask for pictures of the settings you use in your games and in the VRS driver?
Thank you.

Upvote 0
Just got vrs for couple days, upgrade from csw 2.5. Tested in AMS2 and ACC, I can tell its not even in the same level. FFB is crisp clear and dynamic range boost is real. Also no more clipping since I’m running 50% strength. Def worth buy at this price point.

Upvote 0
Have VRS implemented all the sliders for the various force feedback adjustments yet or are the options for adjustment still just smoothing and max torque? This is what stopped me before, well and the price of an appropriately capable wheel.

Upvote 0
They haven't updated the firmware for the other sliders yet. The last I saw on discord is they still had it on the map but had higher priorities like getting the pedal software out. Max force, smoothing, and dampening are the only options. Though I can safely say once they implement friction, inertia, and spring I won't be messing with them. I couldn't imagine a personal use for me on any of them as the FFB is already fantastic. The overall cost of adding a wheel makes sense to be hesitant on, but I wouldn't say software should be one.

Upvote 0
Have VRS implemented all the sliders for the various force feedback adjustments yet or are the options for adjustment still just smoothing and max torque? This is what stopped me before, well and the price of an appropriately capable wheel.
VRS has already had two versions of the software behind it, which introduces the possibility of better adapting the database to your requirements, I waited a lot for it, but as it turns out, the desire for this database made me lazy in searching, especially because most games work as I would expect.
The only problem I have is ACC, I can't get 100% satisfied with the FFB, it doesn't give me peace, no feeling of contact with the asphalt, I have the impression that I am floating above the road. It's hard for me to describe what I feel.
Until I bought VRS ACC was my favorite game, now I don't want to play it and I choose R3E, I would like to come back to ACC because all Leagues among my friends are organized in this game.

Upvote 0
Hey guys. I have been (happily) using an AccuForce v1 for a while, given reviews I decided to order the VRS Direct Force Pro arriving later this week.

I find their site confusing and hard to navigate. Does the link to the software download documentation arrive with the wheel base or is it "somewhere" on VRS's site? I can't find it, nor can I find the manual for it.

Thank you!

NVM I did a search and I found it

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi guys,
I got interested in buying a VRS DFP after watching lots of enthusiastic reviews.
I know that recently it became even better with the latest firmware and software updates (static force reduction etc...).
But there is one thing which I'm really concerned about, and that is: games compatibility.
I personally enjoy playing old and emulated games a lot.
Maybe someone can tell me if it's possible to play R-Factor 1, GTR 1 / 2, Power & Glory, Grand Prix Legends, S.C.A.R., Test Drive Unlimited 1 / 2, Indycar Racing 2 on DosBox, SCUD Race on the Sega Model 3 emulator, Gran Turismo 4 on PCSX2 and similar programs with the VRS DFP?
This would be valuable information for me. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

kind regards

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey guys. I have been (happily) using an AccuForce v1 for a while, given reviews I decided to order the VRS Direct Force Pro arriving later this week.

I find their site confusing and hard to navigate. Does the link to the software download documentation arrive with the wheel base or is it "somewhere" on VRS's site? I can't find it, nor can I find the manual for it.

Thank you!

NVM I did a search and I found it
Hi,
this should be the link providing everything you need:

https://vrs.racing/downloads

Basically, as far as I understood, "config" is the configuration tool, which is needed to set up all the filters and eventually save a configuration for each simulator. The latest version of it should be the "2022-05-12".
All the other files should be firmware updates for the controller board and the pedals (in fact they are all .fw files).
The first thing to do should be to download the file "VRS-DirectForcePro-WheelBase-v111-rc3.fw" and update the internal firmware of the controller board with it.
Afterwards you should be able to download the latest version of the configuration tool and just run it, no installation needed.
I don't know the procedure for updating the firmware right now, but it should be probably written on the user's manual and should be pretty straightforward.
Please answer at least some of the questions I posted above when you receive the base.

Thank you in advance.

Upvote 0
AMS and rF2: I don't feel these two give me significant improvement apart from that the slides are easier to catch. The wheel rotation angle settings does not work properly. You can check the guides on VRS website to see what kind of in-game out-game back and forth is needed to keep the steering wheel rotation angle correct. I find that I have to do the same with rF2. Also the new UI in rF2 to adjust steering angle is ridiculous. I have to hold down the left/right arrows and wait for it to go from, for example, 540 to 900, very slowly. The arrow button makes the angle go 1 degrees per click and I can't manually input a number.
I was using the VRS for a couple of months mainly in rF2 and AMS2 and never had an issue with the wheel-rotation. In AMS2 it's a matter of doing the calibration properly and the rotation adapts automatically. In rF2 there is an option to let rF2 set it per car and it just needs to know the max. rotation. I was using both titles with the same 900°-settings.

Great wheelbase and it was a close call between the VRS and SC2 Pro. The differences I've described here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,
this should be the link providing everything you need:

https://vrs.racing/downloads

Basically, as far as I understood, "config" is the configuration tool, which is needed to set up all the filters and eventually save a configuration for each simulator. The latest version of it should be the "2022-05-12".
All the other files should be firmware updates for the controller board and the pedals (in fact they are all .fw files).
The first thing to do should be to download the file "VRS-DirectForcePro-WheelBase-v111-rc3.fw" and update the internal firmware of the controller board with it.
Afterwards you should be able to download the latest version of the configuration tool and just run it, no installation needed.
I don't know the procedure for updating the firmware right now, but it should be probably written on the user's manual and should be pretty straightforward.
Please answer at least some of the questions I posted above when you receive the base.

Thank you in advance.
Thank you Wolit!

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline