VRC Mod Performance

So I have a weird issue with some VRC mods, namely the older Formula NA (2012 and 2018), that kill my performance. I don't have some monster PC but I tried running an Indy 500 with the RSS IndyCar and 33 cars and it worked just fine. Try to do it with VRC and it drops to like 30 FPS. Is there a reason for this?

The VRC 2012 and 2018 cars are horribly setup and badly optimized. With a full grid they will murder a lower end system. Their other models are decent but those two in particular will give you issues.

Check out the size of the sound file, I noticed on some of their free cars I can eke out more AI by swapping sounds. Their sound files were a bit larger than the usual sound files, not great for a lower end system.

I got the Formula NA pack a few days ago and noticed this problem. Thought is was with my install so reinstalled them multiple times but could not fix. I have a good pc and can easily handle 40 cars usually but I could not get up to 15 of those indycars on those tracks. It really depends on the track. With using 20 of the indycars some tracks were unplayable with lag while I could run other tracks fine. The thing that I find weird is that the game did not show the CPU warning like it usually does when you push the game too hard so I guess its on the GPU end. I hope VRC updates them or someone finds a fix so we can race these cars where we want. I was really excited to race the 2012 indycar but the tracks I wanted to race on could not handle more than a few. Quite sad as the car looks amazing and is super fun to drive.

There is actually a CSP bug out there that when a car has nothing in the lights.ini file that the performance tanks. Considering indycars have no lights at all there is a chance that file is empty and causing this issue. So maybe try running without CSP and see if performance returns. Granted these cars are badly optimized but they shouldn't be THAT bad.

Hi Gents,

is there any news about a solution to this performance problem? I just wanted to give the cars a try and landed with a 24 cars grid @ 8 fps :D
Normally (with all other grids) should be 60-90fps
Honestly, this may be absolutely nothing. But I used CM's compress feature and it seemed to improve my FPS. I can now run 30 or more of them. Could be something else I accidentally changed, but try the compression.

I've noticed this problem with the Formula NA 1999, 2012, and 2018 (Not 2021, that one, as well as VRC's newer cars, work fine) on aa_ims and various other tracks (I am also having this problem with URD's Formula Lights). I usually race with 19 AI on 82+-1.5 strength and these cars grant me about 19FPS on aa_ims. I am running on a fairly decent rig (GTX 1660, i7-9700F clocked at 3GHz). I did see other people racing with the NA 1999 on IMS with no problems. Not sure why this is happening.

I tried disabling all apps, using only default apps, lowering graphics settings, disabling CSP (Which did work, but it removed the skybox), removing the extension folder from the track, no dice.

Last edited:
i've been experiencing big cpu usage when using the vrc formula na 1999 oval on bankings: if u have this or any other problem about cpu overloading, uncompressing data.acd file to the data folder helped a lot.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 103 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 188 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 366 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 510 39.1%