Cars VRC Formula NA 2012 and 2018

FxPHY56.jpg

Very soon™

I figure this is the place to ask this as I found nothing searching the forums. Has anyone been able to setup a championship with this car and have it use the right kit for oval and road? Played around with Content Manager but couldn't find a way to do this.

I figure this is the place to ask this as I found nothing searching the forums. Has anyone been able to setup a championship with this car and have it use the right kit for oval and road? Played around with Content Manager but couldn't find a way to do this.
I have the same question.

It is possible - setup the championship with, say road configuration, race, but... before the superspeedway race, go in Documents\Assetto Corsa\champs folder and find .champ file for that championship (names are long - with letters and numbers), open with notepad - and use replace option for (example):
"vrc_formula_na_1999_road","skin":"26_team_kool_green","ballast":45,"restrictor":20
look - this is typical entry (for NA1999 in this case), replace all "road" to "oval"!
so all drivers will have "vrc_formula_na_1999_oval"
So starting AC again, all entrants should have oval kit. Be careful - you must have all skins with the same, appropriate names, I had 2-3 of them missing at first...
P.S. You can also edit points for all positions as well(!), at least down to 22nd it works.
BEWARE - if you have road america it will be named oval america after such automatic batch replacing, so rename it back.

Wow, thanks for that info, however that seems a bit much every time you switch track type. I guess I'll just leave the ovals out sadly.
It is not taking too much time... even in notepad there is automatic replace thing:
In Edit-> Replace... "Find What - Replace With" dialogue, so it is just 10 secs. Fast. That is why I wrote "beware", because "road_america" will be "oval_america", but it' s just additional 10 secs.

It is not taking too much time... even in notepad there is automatic replace thing:
In Edit-> Replace... "Find What - Replace With" dialogue, so it is just 10 secs. Fast. That is why I wrote "beware", because "road_america" will be "oval_america", but it' s just additional 10 secs.
Understood. Does it still keep the points correctly? Or is that why you mentioned editing them manually?

Yes, points are kept correctly, as I have observed so far. I mentioned it, because in in-game championship editor, it allows you to assign points only for top ten 10 positions, but in that CHAMP file, it is possible to add them further down. More over, if something else (schedule, etc.) is edited in in-game editor, points are not changed, or reset.
The only downside - it seems that AC assigns wrong points for DNF drivers. Say, only 9 cars finish, so for these top9 positions points will be awarded correctly, but... if DNF driver finished (or more precisely to say - was classified), for example, in 11th place, there is a probability he will not receive 2 points, someone who retired much earlier, and was classified in, for example,18th position will get them. I am talking about CART point system in this case.
In old F1 it is not a problem, only TOP6 were getting points then and there should be always at least 6 finishers. But current Indycar system can cause some randomness. I have
"points":[50,40,35,32,30,28,26,24,22,20,19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8],
in my Indycar 2018 CHAMP file.

Good information. Wish somehow with Content Manager they could streamline it, but at least you can run a typical Indycar season with a mix of track types using your editor trick. Thank you.

It is possible - setup the championship with, say road configuration, race, but... before the superspeedway race, go in Documents\Assetto Corsa\champs folder and find .champ file for that championship (names are long - with letters and numbers), open with notepad - and use replace option for (example):
"vrc_formula_na_1999_road","skin":"26_team_kool_green","ballast":45,"restrictor":20
look - this is typical entry (for NA1999 in this case), replace all "road" to "oval"!
so all drivers will have "vrc_formula_na_1999_oval"
So starting AC again, all entrants should have oval kit. Be careful - you must have all skins with the same, appropriate names, I had 2-3 of them missing at first...
P.S. You can also edit points for all positions as well(!), at least down to 22nd it works.
BEWARE - if you have road america it will be named oval america after such automatic batch replacing, so rename it back.
Thank you Marg I will try this tomorrow.

By the way - what oval tracks are there... I see there is a quite short supply of CART1999 tracks. From superspeedways I got only Fontana (Indianapolis as well, but that was not part of schedule in CART1999). Some other typical CART ovals - Milwaukee, Homestead, Michigan are missing.
Funny that it was said AC is not suitable for US oval racing, but - such typical NASCAR track like Bristol has been released, but not more "natural", longer CART ovals - no.
Also - Toronto Exhibition Place street circuit - used since 1986, strange not to have... I remember Houston1998 for Rfactor was very well made.
After all I ended up using Fontana for season opener as well - palmtrees on the backstretch are similar :)
And in the middle of season - cause shape is the same as Michigan's.

To be honest, I think RF2 is much better suited to Indycar than AC. There are a ton more oval tracks over there and the rules are more accurate. One of the things that bugs me about RF2 is that there is no tire strategy on the part of the AI, they all mindlessly use the same default primary tires no matter what.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back