VR?

Well, I'm considering about buying Oculus rift S. The price will be good, but I'm not sure about the specifications. I have no VR experience, do you recommend this new Oculus, or any other brand? I watched some videos and the reviews of Raceroom in VR are great.

Well, the S isn't due out until next Spring so you have plenty of time to read up on it's intended specs. :O_o:

In short, it's supposed to be slightly higher image quality than the current Rift, better lenses, a bit more comfortable, and a bunch of cameras all over the thing for tracking and so that you can "see" while wearing the headset itself. I can't really recommend it since nobody has ever used it yet, but I can say that I am perfectly happy with my current Rift.

As for VR in R3E, it most certainly adds a huge amount to the immersion and driving experience. You won't want to go back to flat monitors afterwards... unless you're unfortunate and suffer from motion sickness. The image quality of R3E in VR is somewhat below par compared to it's newer rivals, but this is due to VR not supporting DX9 anymore. The devs have made it work anyway, which is all credit to them in my opinion.

Well, the S isn't due out until next Spring so you have plenty of time to read up on it's intended specs. :O_o:

In short, it's supposed to be slightly higher image quality than the current Rift, better lenses, a bit more comfortable, and a bunch of cameras all over the thing for tracking and so that you can "see" while wearing the headset itself. I can't really recommend it since nobody has ever used it yet, but I can say that I am perfectly happy with my current Rift.

As for VR in R3E, it most certainly adds a huge amount to the immersion and driving experience. You won't want to go back to flat monitors afterwards... unless you're unfortunate and suffer from motion sickness. The image quality of R3E in VR is somewhat below par compared to it's newer rivals, but this is due to VR not supporting DX9 anymore. The devs have made it work anyway, which is all credit to them in my opinion.

It’s released this month, the 21st.

I have been sitting on the sideline conserning VR.
Wanting a kit (mainly for the 3D immersion) - but have aborted any buy because of
1. The visual quality
2. The spectacles issue

But now I have seen this comming gen 1.5 kit.
Looks pretty exciting - hehe and a bit pricey :sneaky:
Valve Index.png

I wouldnt buy index if you plan to use vr only in sims, not to mention if you didnt order it yet, you gonna wait super long time

if only rift S had hardware idp adjustment and audio like in rift, it would be perfect imo :rolleyes:

Rift S specs are:
  • Display resolution: 1280 x 1440 per eye (2560 x 1440 in total)
  • Display refresh rate: 80Hz
Is this well for Raceroom? Price will be about 400 euro, so its quite good I think. Valve Index cca. 1000 euro. Different is noticeable :D and its question about that huge difference in quality.

Rift S specs are:
  • Display resolution: 1280 x 1440 per eye (2560 x 1440 in total)
  • Display refresh rate: 80Hz
Is this well for Raceroom? Price will be about 400 euro, so its quite good I think. Valve Index cca. 1000 euro. Different is noticeable :D and its question about that huge difference in quality.
its 450euro for rift S. To be honest even current rift is fine for me in raceroom, so S should be great, just check your ipd and keep in mind its audio system i guess
If its your first vr then imo it should be as comfortable and simple as possible, rift S with its inside out tracking and halo strap would do great. High comfort helps a lot in long stints :thumbsup:;)

Last edited:
its 450euro for rift S. To be honest even current rift is fine for me in raceroom, so S should be great, just check your ipd and keep in mind its audio system i guess
If its your first vr then imo it should be as comfortable and simple as possible, rift S with its inside out tracking and halo strap would do great. High comfort helps a lot in long stints :thumbsup:;)

Thanks for your recommendation. So I am going to wait for rift S. Only question - which means audio system? Audio output will be part of the VR system? Now I am using flat 4k 43 inch TV audio.

Thanks for your recommendation. So I am going to wait for rift S. Only question - which means audio system? Audio output will be part of the VR system? Now I am using flat 4k 43 inch TV audio.
if you have multiple audio devices hooked up to pc, you can select which one gonna play the sound, with vr its no different :p btw going from 4k tv to vr may be a shock in terms of visual quality. Keep in mind there are more headsets than index and rift S, for example HP Reverb with 4k screen. I use vr outside sims so i wasnt interested in it myslef thanks to its tracking but you may want to check it out. Whats your gpu?

Last edited:
if you have multiple audio devices hooked up to pc, you can select which one gonna play the sound, with vr its no different :p btw going from 4k tv to vr may be a shock in terms of visual quality. Keep in mind there are more headsets than index and rift S, for example HP Reverb with 4k screen. I use vr outside sims so i wasnt interested in it myslef thanks to its tracking but you may want to check it out. Whats your gpu?

Intel Core i7 6700 3.4GHz, Intel B150, RAM 8GB DDR4 SDRAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX1060

I heard a lot about a huge step forward in immersion with VR, so its my motivation. But maybe its time to upgrade my system first and than go to vr. Thanks.

Intel Core i7 6700 3.4GHz, Intel B150, RAM 8GB DDR4 SDRAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX1060

I heard a lot about a huge step forward in immersion with VR, so its my motivation. But maybe its time to upgrade my system first and than go to vr. Thanks.
If i remember correctly Ross also has gtx 1060 and its ok with his oculus- and oculus has great ASW (no idea about smoothing systems from other companies). What i would do- get non super high res vr (so rift S i guess) and wait till next gen with eye tracking and foveated rendering :D Then invest in pc, next gen gpus and next gen vr.
If your tv has decent audio then its one concern less, only ipd left. Also id like to encourage you to do some research (you probably did already), check out different headsets, opinions etc. Dont focus like most folks (atleast vocal ones) about resolution- most of them dont even have required gpu. Things like idp adjustment, tracking, proper software (mentioned earlier ASW for example), comfort, audio is the stuff

It’s released this month, the 21st.
Oops, my bad! :redface:

If i remember correctly Ross also has gtx 1060 and its ok with his oculus
Yep, I actually have the same CPU and GPU as you @dene11, the difference being that I have 16GB RAM. R3E runs perfectly fine on my rig with no noticeable performance issues, and it looks fine too. As do the vast majority of other VR games to date. :thumbsup:

Well, I'm considering about buying Oculus rift S. The price will be good, but I'm not sure about the specifications. I have no VR experience, do you recommend this new Oculus, or any other brand? I watched some videos and the reviews of Raceroom in VR are great.

If you go with the Oculus make sure you have support in your country before buying, othewise you can get in to trouble. I bought mine in Portugal a year ago, started to have serious problems with the headphones (they don't work anymore btw, I'm using a PS4 wireless hedphones now), contacted support to activate warranty, but they can't help as they say I'm in a country where they don't have support. Basically they can't ship here (it seems more like an excuse). Think twice going with the Oculus or other brand that don't have support in your country.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 248 15.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 166 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 165 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 122 7.4%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 229 13.9%