VR versus triple-screen for Assetto Corsa

I have a triple-screen setup. It's great.

I've never tried VR. I'd like to read opinions from those who have experienced both to understand how the two options compare.

The downside of VR, I understand, is the screendoor effect. That's about the extent of my knowledge. I'm thinking fps may be better in VR.

Further to this, I very occasionally get double-image ghosting in the Rift if I've been chopping and changing between lots of cars and tracks, and have to restart Oculus Home (or reset my PC) to get rid of it. I wonder if some of the blurry-image complainers are experiencing this?

I have not observed this.

I do not have general bluriness in the Rift. I am not satisfied with how sharp far objects are displayed. Near objects like the steering wheel are fine. Dashboard is less fine.

I am not able to reach my LCD times on most tracks, and I believe the reason is that I screw up brake points because the visibility toward the track edges on the next turn is less sharp.

To be most specific, I think the lack of clear definition in the red+white curb paint stripes is the predominant problem here.

Further to this, I very occasionally get double-image ghosting in the Rift if I've been chopping and changing between lots of cars and tracks, and have to restart Oculus Home (or reset my PC) to get rid of it. I wonder if some of the blurry-image complainers are experiencing this?
Is post processing turned off?
I had that double image issue a while back in Assetto Corsa only and turning PP off cured it completely.
As to any blurriness, I have none of that in my CV1.
HMD fitment/adjustment along with good lens-spacing is your friend here.
It can make the world of difference to clarity.

@Brandon Wright can you share you asseto corsa VR settings?
The main thing I "hate" about VR on AC is the difficult to see the brake lights if you turn off post precessing..

Possibly, I've been having problems getting AC to load lately but might be able to at least get to the options menu (later, I'm at work now). My settings are not set it stone though, I've not played AC a whole lot since I got VR and have not settled on any decisive settings but for the most part it seems like I could run run most things at about 3/4 and still rock a solid 90fps. You have to turn PP on to see brake lights, in the early days PP was a bit of a no-no in VR but that's not really the case anymore and you can run PP fine as long as your system isn't already struggling with it off.

I'm working on a track at the moment, so I'm back to looking at AC on a monitor (had triples also), and while it's really a welcome back to resolution and sharp image, once I go back in the VR-rig in the basement it's just a whole nother league. Going back and forth between VR and monitor, but having no issues any longer with getting adjusted to VR, I can appreciate both worlds. Certainly, I fire up AC on my monitor to test trackwork etc, but It's a complete letdown to drive compared to in VR.
After that ACC is announced VR-ready and watching the recent Kunos interview, while VR is on the verge of next-gen again, I'm really excited for leveling up my favorite sim experience once again!

Just going to throw this out there, you can get a crazy good deal on a used CV1 rift off of craigslist/kijiji.
Seems like people buy them, use them once or twice before selling them, I have seen a few listings for $250 for the model without the touch controllers. I'm picking myself up one that was 60% off the price of new..

My Rift is currently borked in this out-of-date Oculus security certificate flustercluck, probably like a lot of the rest of you. I've got a bunch of new tracks and cars to try tonight, but I refuse to go back to my 2D display to play them. Yes folks, I'd rather not race at all than endure 2D flat-o-vision using twentieth century display tech.
:p

Finally got my AC working again and did another through the lens video with it so you can see what it looks like in VR. After testing iRacing, PCars2, and AC recently I have to say AC probably looks the worst of the bunch in VR, screen door was fairly noticeable and that made parts of the track in the distance slightly hard to see but nothing terrible and after a few laps I didn't really notice any of that much. All my graphics settings got reset due to an error with AC that popped up on my system so I might be able to tweak them a bit more to get better image quality, I don't recall my specific settings but most things were at High or above, with low smoke generation, high quality mirrors, and static reflections.

Did one with PCars2 also, for comparison. Road onboard with someone for this one so you can see actual driving at speed. With the new sharpening feature it looks better in VR than it used to.

@Brandon Wright , it is probably your settings in AC that you will need to set up again. In my case even though PCars 2 has improved considerably with the new setting possibility implemented recently, AC is still much sharper. I can”t comment on IRacing.

I have all my settings back to pretty much where I remember them being but the picture quality wasn't quite there. I haven't tinkered in AC enough with VR to know what to change to improve things though, SS was at 1.5 but I don't remember what AA, etc. was set to. It wasn't bad or anything, but coming from iRacing where I've been doing most of my racing lately and which has near monitor quality picture in VR, AC was a bit of a downgrade but nothing I didn't adapt to after a few laps.

I have all my settings back to pretty much where I remember them being but the picture quality wasn't quite there. I haven't tinkered in AC enough with VR to know what to change to improve things though, SS was at 1.5 but I don't remember what AA, etc. was set to. It wasn't bad or anything, but coming from iRacing where I've been doing most of my racing lately and which has near monitor quality picture in VR, AC was a bit of a downgrade but nothing I didn't adapt to after a few laps.
I misunderstood then, I don’t know how sharp it is in IRacing, i will have to try it some time. One setting that has been helping me in VR with AC is adjusting minus lod bias in CM.

I misunderstood then, I don’t know how sharp it is in IRacing, i will have to try it some time. One setting that has been helping me in VR with AC is adjusting minus lod bias in CM.

All my settings did get reset when I fixed that error I was getting. I'm sure I can do some more tweaking to get it looking a little better but I did turn things up before I tested it. At first it was kinda bad but then I realized I'd forgotten to turn super-sampling on, put that at 1.3 and it looked better, tried it at 1.5 and it looked better still and pretty good overall. Probably just need to crank up the AA more and give my brain a little more time to re-adjust to it.

At first it was kinda bad but then I realized I'd forgotten to turn super-sampling on, put that at 1.3 and it looked better, tried it at 1.5 and it looked better still and pretty good overall. Probably just need to crank up the AA more and give my brain a little more time to re-adjust to it.

Do you need much AA in VR if you are running decent SS? I thought it's better to crank up the SS at the expense of AA? Might be wrong, VR is a tweaker's paradise.

One setting that has been helping me in VR with AC is adjusting minus lod bias in CM.

What does this do?

By the way, not that I have performance issues in VR but I was curious, I tried disabling shadows.
Nope. Hated it. Immersion was much lower and my cockpit looked like it was lit from within. Cars appeared to float and even having no shadows under bridges was just weird.

What does this do?
Texture Filtering - Negative LOD Bias: LOD is short for Level of Detail, and adjusting the LOD Bias is a method of sharpening details on textures. The LOD Bias controls texture detail by determining when different Mipmaps are used. Mipmaps are a precomputed series of textures each of a certain resolution used to improve performance. When you look at a surface close to you, a higher resolution mipmap is loaded; as you move further away from that surface, progressively lower resolution mipmaps of it are displayed instead. The default LOD Bias in a game is typically 0.0, but by using a negative value for LOD Bias (e.g. -1.5), you can force mipmap levels to be moved further away, which can improve texture sharpness at the cost of introducing shimmering when textures are in motion. In general, it is better to just use Anisotropic Filtering to improve texture detail, rather than lowering LOD Bias, as there is no shimmering and the performance impact is minor.

The available options for this setting are Allow and Clamp. Modern games automatically set the LOD Bias, which is why this setting exists, so that you can either select Clamp to lock out and thus forcibly prevent any negative LOD Bias values from being used, or Allow it.

adjust the LOD Bias value in some games, is particularly useful in counteracting certain forms of Antialiasing which introduce blurriness to the image

Do you need much AA in VR if you are running decent SS? I thought it's better to crank up the SS at the expense of AA? Might be wrong, VR is a tweaker's paradise.

This is something I've not figured out yet. I seem to recall my AA was at 2X last night though so I'll try cranking it up a bit to see if that helps. Your paradise is my nightmare, I hate having to tinker with crap just to get it to work the way I want. :roflmao: Luckily I haven't had to do a whole lot of tinkering with VR, at least nothing I'd consider to be a pain.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back