VR Tips and Tricks for a VR Noob

[Assetto Corsa]

Hi All,

I have been sim racing for many years, but have recently jumped over to the dark side of VR and really enjoying it overall, and have a solid set up and have found the VR sweet spot.

For the VR vets out there, can you suggest any apps or other tools that you use and why?

Also I have 2 points I am stuck on if someone can help:

1. Watching replays back - how is this done, as right now I just get a static camera and none of the F camera buttons do anything?

2. How do you record in VR, No matter what I try (Shadowplay etc) it is just a black screen?

TIA :)

Craig

Last edited:
What a coincidence! A few days ago I implemented a way to control replays with my button box.

You can display and use a control panel for the replays for use with your mouse, but it's a bit annoying because it only works with the cockpit camera.

Most of the times, all I want is to be able to rewind, play and fast forward or change my camera. Changing the camera is not a problem, because the same button I have for camera in my button box, also works in replays. Well, my camera button is a bit tweaked, because it cycles thorugh F1, F2, F3 etc, just to display all cameras with a single button.

As regards the other 3 functions, you can assign hotkeys to buttons (control d, control f and control space). Since I only have 6 buttons on my button box and I want to keep things simple, I have implemented the same code I use for the camera cycle to the hotkeys sent by a single button. Well, it's actually the same button I use for replays but hold for 0,5 secons (but that's another story).

Sumarizing, you can use several buttons or just one button to be able to rewind, fast forward and play, but you will need to write some code for that. In my case I use AutoHotkey.

I use mouse in Replays, and with those settings you see HUD no matter what camera you use:

Screenshot_138.jpg

Edit: And for recording as mentiond above OBS - best not only for streamers, for regular users to capture and record anything also. There are tons of tutorials in any language in YT, but OBS is very intuicial.

Last edited:
I use mouse in Replays, and with those settings you see HUD no matter what camera you use:

View attachment 508205

Edit: And for recording as mentiond above OBS - best not only for streamers, for regular users to capture and record anything also. There are tons of tutorials in any language in YT, but OBS is very intuicial.

Could you please indicate where that menu is located and which version of Content Manager are you using?

OK. I understand now why I cannot find it. My CPS/Sol are old. I no longer update them after the many problems I have found lately, such as the black sky, bad textures in cars, etc. And going back to older versions do not always fix the problem, so it's a pain in the ass.

OK. I understand now why I cannot find it. My CPS/Sol are old. I no longer update them after the many problems I have found lately, such as the black sky, bad textures in cars, etc. And going back to older versions do not always fix the problem, so it's a pain in the ass.
Black sky issues are almost certainly nothing to do with CSP, rather incompatible versions of Sol and CSP.

To be honest I started "racing" few months ago, but as VR player with big experience in JSGME,OVGME, Lua, moose scrypting and other modding related DCS World ;)
So as always there are gonna be two types of mods: Ones that are continously development, upgreaded, patched and over time, usualy years comming to be masterpiece, and from the other hand an forgotten mods for old builds of game, that rearly someone update.

So I have many cars with bugs causing sky too bright (Free low fidelity mods) or their sound drive me crazy (GUERILLA mods BMW M6 GT3 ACC) but there are dozen other cars that wors fine with custom configs/cars\tracks-vao downloaded automaticly if avalible from creators well known and helpful also on our Department ;)

P.s. To be honest with myself I love modding and getting deeper in game coding/tweaking that I spend about 3/4 time searching for something/reading manuals and digging forums/reddit and only 1/4 (in good case) playing/flying/driving.
P.s. 2. Over year ago I knew that I like burn some rubber!

Last edited:
Thats why I always advise for every starter in AC, stay to an “virgin” install without any mods or enhancement software. Try first to familiarize AC before driving into the deep. No need at this premature phase for any CM, SOL, CSP of PPfilter if you are still in a learning curve to get the car fast around the corner.

edit: and easier for other helpful RD members to detect the root cause.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 109 12.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 82 9.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 80 9.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 56 6.6%
  • < 5 years