VR Sickness

I am subject to see sickness, I suspect I might have the same problem if I go VR. I would like though...

Does the problem occur often in simracimg? Are there solutions to solve the issue that works with everyone or are there some of you that had to give up VR forever?

Thanks!

Take it slow, stop as soon as you feel nauseous, drive slow open-topped cars at first, chew ginger or drink ginger ale, build up your tolerance over several weeks. Never try to power through the sickness, just stop and return when 100% OK.
VR is the best thing to happen to sim racing so it's well worth the time and effort.

• Deleted member 197115

In cockpit view with lock to horizon it's very highly unlikely.
External cameras on the other hand . . .

I also suffer from sea sickness occasionally, and car sickness if I can't look out a window. I've only had one nauseous incident in VR with simracing and that's because I looked in a weird direction.

My tips:
- Don't look in weird directions (ie: don't try to peer over the edge of the cockpit to look at the side of you car) while moving. Keep looking forward or briefly to the sides for some spacial awareness
- Stop as soon as you start to feel sick. Do not power through it. I've heard of some guys being sick for a couple days afterwards when trying to push it. Even further to the point, always look in the direction you are traveling/want to be traveling, unless you're quickly checking for cars around you. Had a friend who was doing fine, then looked to the side as the car started to oversteer and he was done for the night.
- It's a tolerance, you'll build up if you need to.
- Don't look to the sides when stopping the car or when launching. It's pretty disorienting sometimes.
- Make sure you've got a decent framerate. I've found, personally, that I'm fine if the FPS dips into the 30s on occasion (usually sitting at 45 in ASW) but a lot of people can't handle it if it's less than 90 FPS. If you don't have a good PC, don't bother. VR is very resource intensive.

VR is amazing, I can't go back.

I am subject to see sickness, I suspect I might have the same problem if I go VR. I would like though...

Does the problem occur often in simracimg? Are there solutions to solve the issue that works with everyone or are there some of you that had to give up VR forever?

Thanks!
If I do read something in a car I get sick, but using VR in AC or rF2 not. The only thing I feel not fine, is at an huge FPS drop. So one aspect in not getting sick you need a decent PC or lower the settings to minimal. Also try select & unselect fixed horizon, for some it seems to be very helpful.

I took to VR quite easily (thankfully) and can race in VR all day with no ill effects, but there's a free demo on the Oculus store that has you flying a little hovership around a Bladerunner-esque city. I nearly lost my lunch in a few seconds, for some reason.

I get sick in the very beginning of my VR usage: There are few things and then you don't get sick at all:
  1. G-Force effects and any kind of head movements off
  2. Lock to horizon (most important)
  3. IPD set correctly (although this did not make me sick, it made me feel uncomfortable)
  4. Re-center VR to match your seating position (although this did not make sick, it feels very strange when not in sync)
4: assign this function to a wheel-button, find your seating position and look straight ahead, press the button, lift your VR glasses, check your real position, focus on the real center, don't move, put your VR glasses on, press the button again...

For correct seating height, focus on your hands vs. VR hands on the wheel and adjust ingame with driver eye position, then save your settings.

I can race all day.

Believe it or not....setting your computer to allow a fixed frequency will reduce motion sickness.
You absolutely do not need to be at 90 fps...what you do need, is not to be switching between 45 and 90 fps.
That is where it gets tricky for some.
If your system cannot maintain it's rated fps in VR, the moment you get that switch to the lower value will increase your problems.
The perception of visuals lagging motion is the number one reason for motion sickness.
We teach our clients to find a fixed point of reference and focus there for a few seconds, if they're remotely starting to feel ill.

Last edited:
I suffered a bit from motion sickness when I first got VR on release date of the CV1. I found that I had to work my way up to being able use VR for extended periods.

I have all G force effects turned off in game. I don’t have lock to horizon switched on, but I use Real Head Motion with Pitch Filter and Role Filter to 50%. All others set to 0%. This works well for me.

I can work away for a whole month without any VR gaming. Then do hours in Assetto Corsa in VR without feeling any sickness now.

As others have said, the first couple weeks are usually a bit of a struggle and you can only play for short periods of time before getting woozy but that all goes away with more headset time. My second week I pushed it a bit too far and it took me over a day to feel right again, it is not pleasant. But once I got past that initial brain calibration phase it was all good, now I can play as long as I want to and the only time I get the woozies is when I look out the window at a weird angle for more than a couple seconds when the car is moving, but even that disappears as soon as I look forward again. It's worth it, I love it.

As said take it easy I had the fuzzy head feeling after use for about two weeks. I can't look down at a phone in a moving car, sit backwards on a train, or travel in the rear car seats. I can ride roller coaster as I can see where I am going and moving forward. VR is a more like this than the horrible pitch and roll of a boat. I can now race 4 plus hours in VR at a time and feel no ill affects. Go for it you wont regret, just do as has been said short stints to start and make sure and lock view to the horizon.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 375 16.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 256 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 304 13.1%