VR settings

hey guys, i play alot of r3e lately but cant seem to get rid of jitters in VR, i literally have everything on low graphics wise, and on -vr 2.0. i even went down to vr 1.8 last night and it was exactly the same.

pc spec.

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 7600K @ 3.80GHz OC'd to 4.8ghz
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1499MHz
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z170X-Gaming 3
Graphics
ASUS VA326 (1920x1080@144Hz)
VR-DESKTOP (3840x2160@60Hz)
2369M (1920x1080@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 630 (Gigabyte)
3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (Gigabyte)
ForceWare version: 417.35
SLI Disabled
Storage
238GB SAMSUNG MZVPW256HEGL
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-21WN4A0 (SATA)
3726GB Seagate ST4000DM004-2CV104 (SATA) game is on here <------------ (but going to try and make room on ssd tonight)

surely with this spec pc i should be getting better performance?

R3E can be a bit finicky when it comes to VR performance. Remember that it's still DX9 which has not been officially supported by VR for some time now. I've had good performance for nearly two years but this changed quite recently. Now I get occasional stutters too, and I'm pretty much convinced it's down to SteamVR and the idiotic updates it has received over the last couple of months. (I wont bore you with details, you can Google it if interested.)

I'd definitely recommend trying the option explained in the first link FeltHat posted as it allows you to bypass SVR completely. It doesn't work for me, but seems to work for 99% of other people.

If that fails then try the SVR roll-back. I'll be doing that myself before playing R3E again so will report back if it sorts out my stutters.

So I stuck r3e on my sad (before I got the chance to see your msg) surely it won't hurt for it to be on there.

I also did the bypass steamvr option. But didn't get the chance to test it properly. I was on mostly medium video settings. And was hitting 90fps one time then next time i looked it was on 45fps.

What SS rate should I be using in the txt file in your opinion?
And should I be aiming for constant 90?

Hard to look at fps whilst driving in vr lol.

And was hitting 90fps one time then next time i looked it was on 45fps.
That's the Oculus ASW kicking in when it is unable to maintain 90fps. To be perfectly honest, I would not expect to run R3E at a constant 90fps even with a 1080ti, unless you run on low settings with minimal SS. The performance just isn't there in this sim because it's technically unsupported. As for SS, it's very much system dependent so I'd do some testing with 20+ AI, and see what setting gives you smooth performance with zero stuttering. I'm only able to run the default 1.5 myself, on a 1060.

have you tried this one Ross? its the one i used as a friend advised me: (might be the same one) its for RF2 but works perfectly for me.

https://gitlab.com/TheIronWolfModding/OpenOVR/blob/master/README.md

change SS rate in "opencomposite"

then extract files to: Steam\steamapps\common\raceroom racing experience\Game\x64 (make a copy of your existing openvr_api.dll for back up.

-------------------------

as for fps/stutters, do you think the stutters happens when ASW kicks in/off? if so should i just settle for 45 fps and up the graphics?

have you tried this one Ross?
Yep, that's the one I've tried. I've posted in the thread on the S3 forums as Goffik. I still don't know why it doesn't work for me as others don't seem to have any problems.

s for fps/stutters, do you think the stutters happens when ASW kicks in/off?
I'm not sure, as I doubt my 1060 is capable of reaching a level of performance where it would be switching on and off so I can't test that myself. Perhaps you could try setting the graphics to a level that keeps it on (or force it on using something like Oculus Tray Tools) and see if that helps with the jitters?

hmm, so many options to try, just need to find the best. will try these setting tonight:
high ss2.0.
low ss2.0,
high ss1.7,
low 1.7.
all on full grid, ill let you know which comes out trumps.

I also struggle to find best performance for my i9900K/2080/Odyssey+ and R3E. SS in Steam must be around 150%, othewise it is unbearable to see graphics when compared to rF2, not mentioning AC or iR.

its all abit confusing because you can do the SS in so many different ways, if you do it with launch parameter through steam 1.5 is default (-vr 1.5), so not sure if you go into the "steam vr settings" and set super sampling to 150% there its default...? :/

I also struggle to find best performance for my i9900K/2080/Odyssey+ and R3E. SS in Steam must be around 150%, othewise it is unbearable to see graphics when compared to rF2, not mentioning AC or iR.

its all abit confusing because you can do the SS in so many different ways, if you do it with launch parameter through steam 1.5 is default (-vr 1.5), so not sure if you go into the "steam vr settings" and set super sampling to 150% there its default...? :/

I just have SS set to 150% in SteamVR Video tab. No launch -vr 1.5 etc. No SS in applications tab.

so, ive not actually tried all of the above setting s i was meant to but went with,

put r3e on SSD,
bypass Steam VR
2.0 SS,
medium to low graphics setting

the stutters has changed dramaticly, not completely gone,would get one every night now say, which is to be expected on this engine/dx9 i suppose.

not sure which has sorted it.

also to add, bypassing steamvr means the game actually shuts down properly for me now. had issues closing the game down fully, and it would get on my tits.

so, ive not actually tried all of the above setting s i was meant to but went with,

put r3e on SSD,
bypass Steam VR
2.0 SS,
medium to low graphics setting

the stutters has changed dramaticly, not completely gone,would get one every night now say, which is to be expected on this engine/dx9 i suppose.

not sure which has sorted it.

also to add, bypassing steamvr means the game actually shuts down properly for me now. had issues closing the game down fully, and it would get on my tits.
How to bypass steamVR?

Thats what i suspected and mentioned few posts back Felt, to be honest ive not looked at my fps, ive just gone with how the game runs. is it worth bumping graphics up and settling for 45 asw? or go low and get constant 90?

I have Odyssey+. When I got CV1 I got so called homeless Oculus, which saved 10% of CPU with i3770K OCed to 4.5GHz and 1070GTX. It improved stutters in iR and rF2, but if I switched to homeless Oculus and wanted to get back I needed to reinstall Oculus from the very begining. Now I have i9900K with RTX 2080 and am a bit reluctant to fiddle around SteamVr

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 230 14.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 157 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 156 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 223 14.3%