VR-sensor on or off the motion rig ?

The last couple of days i have been experimenting with the 2 different camera placements on my SFX100 motion rig.

Yesterday when running my notirous DTM profile in R3E i could swear having the camera on the rig was the best option, but today i tried Assetto Corsa and Iracing with a moving and starionary camera.

With both these sims i absolutely preferred the fixed camera.

Pros and Cons for having the camera on the rig

+ The image is more stable and less intense
+ No shifting vieuws with high pitch / surg movements
- Sometimes the camera looses tracking during very very fast movements
- The experience becomes less intense
- You feel the moving, but you are not seeing it

Pros and Cosn having the camera off the rig

+ What you feel is what you see
+ The experience becomes more intense
+ No loss of tracking
- Camera movement during pitch / surge
- Possible blurry image during heavy motion

How do you have your VR-sensor place?

Just curious: did you experiment with 'lock to horizon' (or RHM) on and off in both cases?

In general mods like RHM don't work for me with motion combined. In Iracing i turned of all headmotion, but still i was getting a weird backwards motion during braking.

Could be that the camera on the rig is too close to the rift and it might benefit from being a bit further away.

I did make sure that the sensor on the rig is 100% fixed and can not move other than with the rig.

Upvote 0
The last couple of days i have been experimenting with the 2 different camera placements on my SFX100 motion rig.

Yesterday when running my notirous DTM profile in R3E i could swear having the camera on the rig was the best option, but today i tried Assetto Corsa and Iracing with a moving and starionary camera.

With both these sims i absolutely preferred the fixed camera.

Pros and Cons for having the camera on the rig

+ The image is more stable and less intense
+ No shifting vieuws with high pitch / surg movements
- Sometimes the camera looses tracking during very very fast movements
- The experience becomes less intense
- You feel the moving, but you are not seeing it

Pros and Cosn having the camera off the rig

+ What you feel is what you see
+ The experience becomes more intense
+ No loss of tracking
- Camera movement during pitch / surge
- Possible blurry image during heavy motion

How do you have your VR-sensor place?
Thats something I want to know because I have a Samsung Odyssey
That has inside out tracking but is not so good as rift or vive
So wat quality I get with motion, I dont know
I must wait because the parts are delayed ( Chinees new year )
But has somebody test it with Windows mixed reality system headset?

Upvote 0
I couldn't handle it off the rig.. for me it didn't make sense for it remain static.. I am only interested in the motion relative to my head movements... not my rig movements!

Upvote 0
I couldn't handle it off the rig.. for me it didn't make sense for it remain static.. I am only interested in the motion relative to my head movements... not my rig movements!

Simotn, are you not experiencing any tracking loss or shifting views when running the more violent SFX100 profiles? My rift camera does not seem to be able to keep up with the SFX100

Upvote 0
My CV1 Rift sensor is static off the rig, in front and to the side and this works flawlessly with my NLMv3 seat mover, even with high motion settings. I use RHM but not the Next Level compensation software.

ij1x4YP.jpg

My big fear is that I'll have to mount the sensor to the rig when I add the SFX100 actuators, because there's no obvious place to mount it securely without obstructing the wall-mounted screen. The last thing I want to do is have to demount it every time I want to use the screen for 2D gaming.

Upvote 0
I've run it on both. Like Mascot I had mine static with no compensation software for the V3 and never once felt the need to change it. It was perfect. I ran the SFX at the beginning with it static, in the same position and found no need to shift it. The only reasons I ended up mounting it on the rig was a) to see if I could actually find a suitable place for it, which I did, b) because of the recommendation of other users, Henk in particular, that reports issues with incline and decline on tracks with heavy elevation changes, which I had not driven yet and c) to see if I could eliminate it as an option should I experience what I was almost certain I would, that is a shaking camera with the motion, thus an ever wobbly VR view. This didn't happen either.

SO, I've left the sensor mounted as there are no ill effects as far as I can see or feel. I am still in testing phase for a few things as I have such a huge gap between sessions of just being able to play with settings and config rather than driving or busy IRL. I do have to now plug and unplug the sensor each time I drive as the new position doesn't allow a fixed cable connection and as some of us no, extension cables are a big no no for the Rift, in my experience. It's not too much of an issue but something I wish I didn't have to do. Moving the sensor itself would be a far worse experience especially with how strapped down I have it to eliminate any shake.

Everything feels normal to me. The view moves as expected, I don't feel like I need the HMD bouncing around to let me know there are bumps on track, that's why we have a motion platform. Elevation changes feel natural. When I first tested the platform on the flat screen, moving with the motion, it felt VERY weird for me as I've never experienced that before. I felt like I wanted it to stay static while the rig moved around it. Of course that's how I am used to it with the V3 on times where the screen is actually used.

I have had one issue with rF2 where my camera changes its position randomly (I think) and I am lower or higher in the cockpit, meaning I have to hit the recenter VR button to reset the view which is HIGHLY aggravating and immersion shattering, but I cannot blame the sensor on the rig for this, yet. Other's have reported this issue although I only remember experiencing it when I moved the sensor, hence the correlation. I'm sure that over the years it's happened here and there but this setup might be causing it to be more apparent.

For now, I'll leave it where it is. Other than that shifting view I am happy with the result. Which will be pointless in like 2 weeks when I am using Pimax with NO base station......

Upvote 0
Update to the sensor tracking and such. Just did a massive amount of driving today, lots of curbs and bouncing around (Adelaide, street circuit) and the Rift did not move a mm in its tracking or positioning.

Not sure if it was an rF2 thing I was experiencing or just a 'bad day' for maintaining correct position tracking but I can safely say that the sensor on the moving platform is not the cause of this.

Upvote 0
Update to the sensor tracking and such. Just did a massive amount of driving today, lots of curbs and bouncing around (Adelaide, street circuit) and the Rift did not move a mm in its tracking or positioning.

Not sure if it was an rF2 thing I was experiencing or just a 'bad day' for maintaining correct position tracking but I can safely say that the sensor on the moving platform is not the cause of this.

Funnily enough I spent Sunday morning experimenting with the sensor position, (rig-mounted), as I was experiencing the same 'centre-view reset issue' on very rare occasions, where I'd suddenly find myself much lower in the cockpit. This nearly always happened in rFactor2 and where a notable elevation change occurred, e.g. at Bridghampton, just before the main straight. However I also had it happen in AC at Nords, when I was messing around in the dark with the wonderful SOL, resulting in an almighty off! :D

So I moved the sensor back by another 20 cm but also added a dot of superglue to fix it to the shaft as I noticed that a little up/down movement is possible, especially when actuator movement is at it's most intense.

Tested it rigorously for a couple of hours yesterday afternoon and did not have a repeat so hopefully I'm sorted. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Hmm had issues tonight with this on the same Bathurst track in my first league race for Monday nights. Apart from the DNF that caused an almighty rage, the re centering view wasn't helping things either. It's an epedemic for me now and absolutely needs attention.

First thing to try is getting it off the rig completely and re test.

Upvote 0
If you watch my picture in the first post Steve, you might see i made a 3d printed bracket that holds the top part of the sensor in place. Still with large (mostly) pitch movements Anton, i get shifted views to.

Usually though the view comes back to it's original position afer a couple of seconds, but it's far from ideal.

Upvote 0
Is it just me or is the 'Stabilise Horizon' option for rFactor 2 completely removed? I can't for the life of me find it anywhere. I used to see it when adjusting the FFB strength of individual cars in the controls section when the car is on track but in the garage. Right down the bottom as the last option. Was Off, Low, Medium, High options.

I have searched all night for something saying it's been removed but I can't find anything anywhere. I don't see any reason for them to take it out but I can't find it at all.

Yeah I get it on elevation changes all the time now. The rF2 Pitch setting uses the entire range of the actuators by default so maybe that's causing issues especially at Bathurst. Need to fix it though, as other tracks will do similar things eventually.

Upvote 0
It's there mate. Options / Display (At the bottom)

I had mine set on High but put it back to Medium just in case it was somehow contributing to the display-shift issue. Didn't notice any difference in terms what it's supposed to do so not sure how effective it is in VR, if at all.

Upvote 0
I like the AMS way of having a slider. You get to have a scale of how much or little movement you see. I only like a tiny bit of horizon lock just to smooth out the rough tracks like the rF2 Bathurst one. It's brutal and not very enjoyable. I will screenshot my menu, I am 99% certain I don't have it. ANYMORE, that is. I used to have it set to low. Now all of a sudden, vanished.

Upvote 0
Here I was thinking we should create a thread for this problem and here it was all along. Sorry for clogging up the main motion thread with this question. I have since moved my sensor off of the rig for now until I can find a better solution. I had mine mounted on the side of the rig with a clear view of the HMD but i was getting 4-5 vertical shifts per lap on Highlands on Assetto Corsa. Are you going through the Oculus room setup at all or just mounting the sensor and correcting the view with the hotkey? I didn't do any room setup on mine so maybe that has something to do with the issue? I ordered an EMI filter just to eliminate any errors on the electronics side of things. Are there any pictures of the position that you are all mounting your Oculus sensors?

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 143 13.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 105 10.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 97 9.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 75 7.1%
  • < 5 years