VR-sensor on or off the motion rig ?

The last couple of days i have been experimenting with the 2 different camera placements on my SFX100 motion rig.

Yesterday when running my notirous DTM profile in R3E i could swear having the camera on the rig was the best option, but today i tried Assetto Corsa and Iracing with a moving and starionary camera.

With both these sims i absolutely preferred the fixed camera.

Pros and Cons for having the camera on the rig

+ The image is more stable and less intense
+ No shifting vieuws with high pitch / surg movements
- Sometimes the camera looses tracking during very very fast movements
- The experience becomes less intense
- You feel the moving, but you are not seeing it

Pros and Cosn having the camera off the rig

+ What you feel is what you see
+ The experience becomes more intense
+ No loss of tracking
- Camera movement during pitch / surge
- Possible blurry image during heavy motion

How do you have your VR-sensor place?

There is a pic of mine floating around I'm pretty sure. Just mounted the sensor on a vertical piece of profile, connected to the monitor mount of the Simlab GT1 chassis. I've since removed the vertical piece and mounted the sensor pretty much on the monitor stand itself using a couple of angle brackets. Brings the sensor more in line with my head instead of hovering over the top of it and pointing down. Had many laps last night with it and not a single recenter. Not sure what helped it, maybe the height being around a foot lower and more head on made a difference.

Upvote 0
Thats something I want to know because I have a Samsung Odyssey
That has inside out tracking but is not so good as rift or vive
So wat quality I get with motion, I dont know
I must wait because the parts are delayed ( Chinees new year )
But has somebody test it with Windows mixed reality system headset?
I found the tracking as good as the rift/vive. But you need to make sure the camara has enough light to work with.
In dimjmed or darkened rooms it works a lot worse.

Upvote 0
So far no issues with this setup on the rig. I tried to make the mount as small as possible and as close to me as practical. The camera still has a FOV that allows me to move in the seat and it captures all of that but I also figure the closer I am the easier time it will have seeing those big dots and seeing less vibration.

Its just a pipe clamp that I straigtened and lined with felt. Then used tnuts/bolt to pull the sensor down on to the 4040 and clamp it tights. No resetting of HMD needed yet.. by the sounds of it, if I was going to have a problem I would have had it by now.
IMG_1525.JPG

Upvote 0
You'd think that but mine pops up at very seldom and random occasions. I've got my sensor pretty much exactly where you have it, held down tight as well.

You should get a good experience with it there. I can't confirm whether the auto recentering is down to the rig mounted sensor or just odd conditions on the race track.

Upvote 0
and then I started to get view shifts. only three so far. once out of the blue and then twice in about 4 seconds..

Really not sure why this might happen as surely the relationship bewteen the camera and the headset should be more stable than the camera on the wall. I can imagine that if the camera was moving/vibrating it would have a hard time but I cannot see this happening.

So I have a couple thoughts that there may be some shiny objects behind us that capture its attention as the software would assume that the sensor is fixed and that other bright objects would generally be fixed. This could be right as the only time it has happened I was doing some video and had bright lights on that might be reflecting behind.

The only other difference is that the sensor is a much higher throughput device and is now very close to other noisy cables that it was never near before so perhaps there is some interference that gives it a throughput issue for a fraction of a second.. by the time it resolves and we have moved out head a little that perhaps that is putting it out?

Possibly a test for that is to mount two sensors on the rig as the chances of both stalling at the same time is less.

Upvote 0
Yeah I get them very rarely and randomly as well. It's hard to nail down what exactly is causing it. For all we know it could be coincidence that we built the actuators and all of a sudden everyone is getting view shifts.

Upvote 0
I haven't had an issue with things resetting for a while, it just went away although it only happened a few times..

There is a con to it though and that seems to be with the sway. I will unplug it and try the one on the wall to see if it is better but with the wall mount I dont remember the sway moving me so much in the cocpit to the point that it is uncomfortable in VR.

So there is a noticable shift in position. I think because the camera moves and my head stays in position. Wall mounted if my head stays in position it wont pick it up.

Upvote 0
So guys?
I really havre big issues with my sensor tracking. I firstly tried to mount the sensor on the rig then of the rig ( one meter front of the rig) and it’s the same thing. Do you use any auto recenter software or something? Motion and VR is really perfect but I find my self using the recenter button 3-5 times every lap and it really ruins the immersion.
Thanks

Upvote 0
1. Try reducing Profile intensity levels both 'overall' and within the individual effects, especially Pitch and Sway if you use them.
2. Ensure your sensor cable is as far away from the servo nearest to it, as possible.
3. Try a different USB port (Balancing USB devices across your various USB controllers, including any powered hubs is important)

Good luck.

Upvote 0
1. Try reducing Profile intensity levels both 'overall' and within the individual effects, especially Pitch and Sway if you use them.
2. Ensure your sensor cable is as far away from the servo nearest to it, as possible.
3. Try a different USB port (Balancing USB devices across your various USB controllers, including any powered hubs is important)

Good luck.
Thanks.
I really use a different motion system but do you have your sensor on the rig?
Thanks

Upvote 0
What motion system are you using?

My sensor is rig mounted centrally, about 80cm away from my eyes and 30cm above my eye line and pointing down in to my cockpit.

Are you using a Rift? If so, there is a free app called Sensor Bounds available on the Oculus Store which allows you to see what the sensor sees. Might help you to ensure you are nicely within the sweet spot although if your motion effects are fast and aggressive you might still have issues.

Upvote 0
Ok
Today I thought about this solution
upload_2019-4-7_17-20-31.jpg

It seems that having the sensor in fronte of your head and very close help a lot. Now I have it about 50cm from my head.
I had 15 laps at Virginia Park in rfactor2 and I had to use the recenter button only 2 times.
I have pt actuators motion system( very powerful). And I’m going to add their TL system soon

upload_2019-4-7_17-25-2.jpg

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 155 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 293 27.5%