VR: Real head motion or NLRV3 VR headway?

I have been using neither and just running the Rift at it's default setup with Assetto Corsa set to 'lock to horizon' in the settings. Everything else is just graphical settings.

It would seem that it's better to use RHM with VR. However, every time I launch my Platform Manager it's always asking me to install it's VR motion compensation software which I assume does something similar?

For those with VR and a NLR V3, what software are you using and what are some best practices for tuning it?

I don't use it Rob. Have never felt the need in any sim. Like you I use RHM with AC in vr anyway but without lock to horizon.

With the NLR V3, install the motion compensation anyway but you can then choose whether to enable it or not. Not sure if it's ticked by default upon installation so best to check.

Upvote 0
I don't use it Rob. Have never felt the need in any sim. Like you I use RHM with AC in vr anyway but without lock to horizon.

With the NLR V3, install the motion compensation anyway but you can then choose whether to enable it or not. Not sure if it's ticked by default upon installation so best to check.

I don't use RHM either. So I should try out RHM and see how that goes?

Upvote 0
Personally I think RHM makes things a little smoother in vr. (I'm running it at the the default settings).

Once installed you can also set it to launch automatically in Content Manager.

Upvote 0
I don't even install the VR stuff for the V3 platform. I leave it always asking me to install it. I just ignore it. To me the Rift is a fussy enough bastard to not need anything else getting in its way. As Steve said, everything you experience in VR while using motion is totally believable and I've never felt the need to add another software layer to the mix. I have my sensor mounted on a portable stand that's about as tall as I am and as long as that is not moving when you're using the Rift, everything should be as in real life.

RHM is basically a refinement of the lock to horizon feature. On screens it gives subtle head movements but in VR it's probably not as noticeable. As in AMS and rFactor, they have settings for various degrees of horizon lock, AC does not. RHM in VR basically adds that feature so you can have a little horizon lock, but not have to use the all or nothing alternative we're currently given. Personally I like the AMS way to do it. A slider that gives you a 0 - 100% value of horizon lock. I use 70%. Seems perfect to me. Although AMS obviously is not a VR title.

Upvote 0
I don't even install the VR stuff for the V3 platform. I leave it always asking me to install it. I just ignore it. To me the Rift is a fussy enough bastard to not need anything else getting in its way. As Steve said, everything you experience in VR while using motion is totally believable and I've never felt the need to add another software layer to the mix. I have my sensor mounted on a portable stand that's about as tall as I am and as long as that is not moving when you're using the Rift, everything should be as in real life.

RHM is basically a refinement of the lock to horizon feature. On screens it gives subtle head movements but in VR it's probably not as noticeable. As in AMS and rFactor, they have settings for various degrees of horizon lock, AC does not. RHM in VR basically adds that feature so you can have a little horizon lock, but not have to use the all or nothing alternative we're currently given. Personally I like the AMS way to do it. A slider that gives you a 0 - 100% value of horizon lock. I use 70%. Seems perfect to me. Although AMS obviously is not a VR title.

Yeah, I have my sensors off rig so they remain static no matter what.

If the "lock to horizon" does the job well enough, i rather not keep adding things to the game that could create conflict or require tuning in other areas.

I saw, in videos, that RMH help people look through the corner based on how much the wheel has turned. I assume that would be a bit jarring using VR? or do you use that feature?

Upvote 0
I saw, in videos, that RMH help people look through the corner based on how much the wheel has turned. I assume that would be a bit jarring using VR? or do you use that feature?

No. Tried it once and was reaching for the bucket. Not needed or suitable in vr mate as you would / should look to the apex yourself anyway.

Hence I've never felt the need to use anything but default settings in RHM.

Upvote 0
No. Tried it once and was reaching for the bucket. Not needed or suitable in vr mate as you would / should look to the apex yourself anyway.

Hence I've never felt the need to use anything but default settings in RHM.

haha figured as much! I look through the corner already so was a bit cautious how it'd mess with my equilibrium if was trying to do the same. I'll just stick to Lock to Horizon. I have enough issues trying to get mods to work with my AC as is.

Upvote 0
I echo the comments here - I've never installed the NLRv3 motion compensation software but I do use RHM, primarily to tune the visual balance between cockpit shake and environmental shake so that the effect matches what I think I should be experiencing in real life. I spent a little while tuning RHM when I first installed it but then had to reinstall it and have been using the defaults ever since... but then again maybe my previous settings were saved in an external file somewhere, so I'm still using them. Whichever it is, I like RHM. I think it adds realism and immersion to VR simming.

Ilja has also added a RHM-type app to Content Manager but I've not tried it yet (and am unlikely to do so).

Upvote 0
The default settings are all I used as well. Just installed it an left it. It provides a great balance between no horizon lock and full horizon lock.

I think the RHM integration in CM still needs the actual RHM files to be installed as normal @Mascot? I think I tired enabling it and it didn't seem to work as I had not installed anything else.

Upvote 0
The default settings are all I used as well. Just installed it an left it. It provides a great balance between no horizon lock and full horizon lock.

I think the RHM integration in CM still needs the actual RHM files to be installed as normal @Mascot? I think I tired enabling it and it didn't seem to work as I had not installed anything else.

Yes, you're right, if you use CM to launch RHM then you still need to point it towards the RHM executable. However I believe our good buddy was probably referring to the recent 'Neck' menu within Settings / Custom Shaders Patch. There's a ton of stuff in there, a vertitable 'tweakers paridise' but I've left well alone (and de-activated) as I am completely happy with what default RHM gives me.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 99 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 177 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing