VR question - which focus pane is sharp for you?

I need to check with you folks. My visual cortex is known to be non-standard.

When I use VR (I have a Rift), then I get good sharpness on object very close, like looking to the left and the door trim in sharp.

However, objects as little distant as the dashboard are noticeably less sharp. In fact this is a bigger problem in DCS where I cannot read the flight instruments.

Is that normal?

Doesn't make much sense I'm afraid. The only thing that gives VR depth is the stereo separation. There isn't any near/far in terms of focus, the lenses mean you're effectively looking at a screen approximately 1-1.2m away.

If this non-standard visual cortex means you need glasses for distance vision you'll need them for VR depsite the physical closeness of the screens, for the reason described above.

Upvote 0
......If this non-standard visual cortex means you need glasses for distance vision you'll need them for VR depsite the physical closeness of the screens, for the reason described above.
And, if that's the case, you might be interested in this. Not sure whether they support the Rift though.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Could be IPD adjustment. Try to close one eye and move headset around until you find sweet spot where distant objects are clearer. Or if you have physical IPD adjustment just dial that one in.

Upvote 0
2 things spring to mind here.

1. This is probably obvious, but still. The VR display panels are fixed resolution, so there are only so many pixels available. The further something is away from the smaller it appears and therefore less pixels are used to render it - hence that something looks blurrier and less detailed than if it was close.

2. Some peoples visual system can't separate eye convergence from focus, meaning that as the eyes converge to look at something close up the eyes will automatically focus to a closer distance. In VR the focal distance is fixed "at around 8 metres or so", so everything goes out of focus when that occurs.

Upvote 0
Hmmm, ok, Slapped.

So to cover case 2 I could check by closing one eye. That should make this effect not appear, no?

Sorry I didn't really get to finish what I was saying this morning as I was in a rush heading out to that hobby deprivation location called work.

What I was going to say at the end is that I don't think case two applies in your instance as you are not short sighted. If you were, then even close up would be blurry due to the fixed focal point of VR headsets. Also this tends to affect people trying to look close up rather than far away as the eyes converge for nearer objects.

I honestly think it's case one, as I get the same or similar to you - especially given your comment about instruments in DCS - the info on the flight instruments is small, and there are just not enough pixels to render them clearly - it's a limitation of VR tech as it stands. I can look past it, in fact I expected it. For some people though it can be a complete immersion breaker.

Upvote 0
Hmmm, I think I should run a "simulation" on a LCD monitor, with the same amount of pixels on the dashboard instruments.

Makes me wonder whether a Rift S will help. Or another headset, I hate the Oculus software.

Thank you again, all.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 104 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 146 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 278 27.5%