VR performance in Racesims (including "next" gen VR)

I have been a VR enthusiast from the beginning.

I bought a Oculus Rift CV1 at launch day and it has served me well over the last 3 years, but.... the image quality and performance compared to a monitor is terrible.

So in those 3 years i upgraded from an Intel I7-4770K to an Intel I7-7700K, sold the GTX1080 and bought a 1080Ti.

For upcoming new HMD's i did another couple of hardware upgrades:

-The 1080Ti has been replaces by a 2080Ti
-The I7-7700K is overclocked to 4,7Ghz
-DDR4 memory runs now on 3200Mhz

My system gets a 11.000 score in VR benchmarks

Still i'm struggling with every single race sim between having a decent performance and good image quality. Even though my PC is "better than 92% of all results"

Most race sims are running most of the time locked at 45PFS with ASW enabled. Mainly because i run them with higher multisampling settings to compensate for the low image quality in the rift.

Yesterday i tried ACC.:(

The 1.0 release of Assetto Corsa Competizione is the worst of them all. I did a fresh install yesterday and set the game at the lowest settings, Steam VR settings are at 100% and i'm still not getting 90fps at the start in Spa with 20AI.

At those low settings the game looks worse than Grandprix 4 on a 1024x768 monitor more than 20 years ago.

The strange thing is that even with ASW disabled, i'm still getting not more that 65-70% load on both my GPU and CPU.

On my 34" widescreen monitor ACC runs like a dream and looks drop dead gorgeous.

I'm all in on the whole VR and simracing combo, but having suffered the low image quality of VR for the last 3 years i'm kind of growing tired of it.

Because i love VR, i invested in both a HP Reverb and a Valve Index and will decide which one is best. However my latest experience in ACC lets me to believe that with 2080Ti, both headsets will struggle to maintain a steady fps.

The main selling point of the Reverb is the number of pixels, but i doubt that a 2080Ti will be fast enough to run any simrace game with 20 cars on track at 90fps.

The main selling point of the Index is it's refresh rate, but again i don't think that a single 2080Ti will be able to deliver a 120fps frame rate in most of the current race sims with other cars on track.

Now we are starting to see all these reviews of the new gen HMD, but most of them are for normal games, not the high-end demanding racesims we use.

With my current hardware spec, i don't see any useful upgrade that would really boost my performance even more.

So my conclusion is: VR performance in race sims sucks, even if you have a high-end PC.

How's your performance in VR and what's your VR benchmark score?

Now i have the HP reverb, the whole VR performance thing becomes more and more clear.

I have to start from scratch to find the sweet spot, but i sometimes don't really understand how things work.
There's no real general frame counter like fraps in VR and then there things like frame times ect ect.

In raceroom with 31 AI i was getting CPU limited, in PCARS2 i'm getting 65% GPU and CPU, but still 12ms frame time:O_o:

The HP reverb has the ability to have the clarity of a monitor, but in order to reach that it can be quite demanding on your system. I'm not talking about single player hot laps, but full grids starting at the back.

Upvote 0
I'm still totally in the dark what to do with my I7 7700K @4700. Is it the cause of my low performance.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-9900K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-7700K/4028vs3647

If you look at this, it might shed some light.

Without OC for either the i9-9900K compared to the i7-7700K
7% faster single thread speed.
21% faster quad-core speed ( not quite 4x7, but 3x7 is still respectable)
+5% int
+3% float

However if you OC your i7-7700K that gap closes a lot since the i9-9900K doesn't OC quite as well.
OC to OC the results are
4% faster single thread speed
12% faster quad core.

There are other variables like the MB and RAM.
I saw a solid 10% increase in performance with 4 sticks of DDR4 RAM at 3200 MHz vs. stock 2166MHz. Also this CPU/motherboard will read/write to the memory across two pairs of sticks and that gives it some additional throughput.

So you should see an improvement, the question is how much.

At this point I'm curious what the benchmarks will be on the 2080Ti Super with DDR6 memory, and more cores, BUT I suspect my i9-9900K will be CPU limited even with my 1080Ti. Time will tell, but it appears that my system is CPU limited typically before it is GPU limited.

We should start to find out what the 2080Ti Super can do in about a week. If my Index arrives and I find that I am GPU limited, I'll order up a 2080Ti Super to try to fix that issue. However I think if I want to run 120fps I'll hit the CPU single thread limit hard.

I should mention that in AC Andrew has said that the i9-9900K does a great job of handling a full field of AI's and the extra cores may help with that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 380 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 258 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 250 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 182 7.8%