VR - Low frame rate after quitting race and restarting

This is a very odd issue, here is what happens. It is happening to 2 other people I know on intel processors (8700k and my 9900k)

On a fresh re boot I hold 90 FPS with 24 cars on track no problem
If I start a second race or 3rd, or 4th....I experience all sorts of AWFUL frame drops, i start at 65 FPS at race start and have drops throughout the race. A restart of my PC, and its fine again.

I have tried to trouble shoot as follows with 0 change:
rolled back windows update
rolled back nvidia drivers
un installed CSP and SOL
Steam integrity check

No luck with any of this. Given there are 3 of us with this issue all in VR, and 1 VR user on AMD who does not have this issue I think it *might* be intel related. does anyone here have this issue? Any ideas. It is very odd to say the least.

It is also worth noting that it takes longer to load the race as well after quitting the 1st race and starting a second, or 3rd or 4th...

The issue is entirely controllable by restarting, but I don't want to restart my PC for every race I do in single player...

Last edited:
Just a heads up if anyone missed it,
For your convenience and with the contribution of LeBluem, on the #faq-known-bugs sections of the csp discord, a script was posted to automate a recommended procedure to solve this issue: verify current status, add acs.exe to exclusion list + reset fth to clean list of shimmed apps + reboot. See the readme.txt, and ensure you reboot by the end before running acs.exe again :thumbsup: . link

PS: Sorry scottiedawg66, I completely missed this thread. Fortunately it took less for your original message on discord to be seen :) Again, thanks for your help to iron things out, and all the extra testing on your group

Last edited:
update video with a bit more clarification of the symptoms

Hi scottiedawg66,
I can't express enough how much I appreciate you posting the link to the video with a solution to this problem. Yesterday I was happily playing AC and I tested a couple of apps. Soon after I noticed it was taking a long time to load each race and then in my races I noticed a massive frame rate drop. I have my FPS capped at 75 and it usually sits at that number even with quite a few A.I. opponents. I knew something was wrong when FPS was dropping below 40! I tried uninstalling the new apps because I had experienced this problem before with apps that caused FPS drop. It didn’t help. Strangely I did receive a notification when loading Content Manager about slow load times that I did not understand at the time which I now realise was about this 'fault heap' registration setting. I have just now run the fix and each race loads much faster and my FPS is stable on 75 even with 20 A.I.
Hope Content Manager can be altered to stop this from happening in the future.
JoshOz.

For me my tracks load fast but now a lot of modded cars take much longer to load... like 4 to 5 seconds per car when it used to be about 2 per second. Anyone else seeing this? I did follow the advice in this thread but my PC's registry showed no sign of acs.exe in the FTH part.

Later csp versions do more stuff when loading cars, no only baking shadows but now calculating rain fx related stuff. You can check a cache for that under assettocorsa\cache with new files being created there, so it could be happening when launching those uncached cars for the first time.

Last edited:
Anybody found out any other reason this can happen? I have exactly the same symptoms as above. First race of a fresh boot is silky smooth but any subsequent race my frame rate is halved compared to the first race and very choppy with lots of stuttering. I don't the line in the FTH registery that this fix resolves. Any one know of any thing else that can cause this issue?

Anybody found out any other reason this can happen? I have exactly the same symptoms as above. First race of a fresh boot is silky smooth but any subsequent race my frame rate is halved compared to the first race and very choppy with lots of stuttering. I don't the line in the FTH registery that this fix resolves. Any one know of any thing else that can cause this issue?
Hi Neil. I don't have a solution for you but before I had the registry problem/fix I had an issue where SimHub was taking up 100% CPU in the background. AC was running really poorly. It's worth checking in task manager while AC is running to see if any rogue processes are hogging your CPU.

Hi Neil. I don't have a solution for you but before I had the registry problem/fix I had an issue where SimHub was taking up 100% CPU in the background. AC was running really poorly. It's worth checking in task manager while AC is running to see if any rogue processes are hogging your CPU.
Thanks. I'm not running Simhub. I've found that when I start a second race my CPU core 0 & 1 utilisation is pegged at 100% constantly whilst other cores appear to be idle and my GPU utilisation doesn't go above 65% whereas in the first race of a fresh boot I'm getting CPU utilisation spread across more cores and GPU utilisation is in the 90 %s. So it seems like all CPU cores are not being effectively used on a second race.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 293 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 203 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 260 13.5%