VR: Is it Really the Future?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
VR Article.jpg

Virtual Reality is fast becoming a mainstream alternative to the traditional ways we view our gaming experiences, but is it a long term solution for sim racers? RaceDepartment has a think on the subject...

In the not too distant past Virtual Reality (or VR for short) was the lone possession of a select few arcade machines simulating anything from first person shooters to Battle of Britain style fighter pilot games, yours for a few minutes of gaming pleasure in exchange for a healthy handful of loose change and presented in a strictly controlled environment. In fact I can clearly recall my first VR experience back in the mid to late 1990's at a local arcade in the north of England, strapping on a bulky headset and piloting the guns of a 'Red Barron' style double winged aircraft as enemy planes (actually more like pixelated dots at the time) flew above me and I gasped in awe at the realism of it all. Of course with the steady march of technological progression over the years that game would be laughed out of the door nowadays, but at the time the experience felt simply mind blowing.

Step in to 2017 and Virtual Reality has progressed at such a rate that the first serious VR headsets are slowing beginning to feed into the general gaming population. Back in 2012 Oculus began a Kickstarter initiative to develop their own VR headset for PC gaming, very quickly exceeding their initial funding target and in the end raising a staggering $2,437,429 across 9,522 backers - putting the wheels in motion for what has turned into a technological arms race to establish a clear lead in the quest for mainstream VR access in modern gaming. As of February 2017 Oculus (now owned by Facebook) have been joined in the VR marketplace by such industry giants as Sony with their PlayStation VR headset for console users with the HTC Vive now a genuine alternative for PC players, albeit a little more expense at around £700 in comparison to the Rift which retails around the £500 mark and the PSVR which usually comes in at a reasonable £350.

Project CARS VR.jpg

Mainstream VR technology is still very much in it's infancy, with issues surrounding the pixel density one of the main concerns from members of the public perhaps looking to upgrade from their current viewing solutions. As of today, no current VR headset can hope to match the graphics quality one can achieve with a standard monitor setup, let alone come close to the Ultra HD / 4k screens some lucky gamers have access to within their own gaming rooms. Couple this with the need to pack some serious hardware into your gaming PC in order to run the vast majority of VR ready title's at a reasonable performance level, it quickly becomes clear that VR gaming has not quite reached the stage where everyone would be willing to take up the obvious advantages, despite the many remaining pitfalls of the technology.

No doubt as the technology matures further in the coming years and more companies join the VR bandwagon these obstacles will be overcome in time, leaving open the original question posed by this post - is VR the future for racing simulations?

In order to answer that question I feel we first need to ask ourselves a series of questions to determine exactly how VR might fit into our future gaming requirements. The first question many serious sim racing enthusiasts may ask is - does running VR increase the immersion of simulation racing? Or in other words, do I feel more like I am driving a real race car when viewing the action from a headset rather than on a monitor (or three). For me the simple answer is yes, considerably so.

Using VR in a sim racing title is simply one of the most incredible things I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing during my many years playing racing games. The purity of the feeling of being strapped into a car is quite simply incomprehensible until you try it for yourself. With VR you are quite simply sitting in the car yourself, you are at one with the machinery around you and suddenly you find yourself transported from one who is playing an approximation of the real thing to someone who is physically part of the experience itself. It really is that good. Prior to trying VR myself for the first time I, like many others, watched a series of videos of people playing racing games with the headset on. I've seen countless videos of people looking around the environment inside the car, leaning forward to check the dials and generally making the most of the ability to completely experience the virtual world in which they are participating. That's all really cool. So cool in fact I decided that would be a great reason for purchasing VR and trying it out myself. This is where my mind was simply blown the first time I took the humble KTM X-Bow out around Spa in Assetto Corsa pretty much as soon as the headset arrived. It's not just the ability to look where you want in game that makes VR, after all you can achieve something similar with trackIR, it's the 3D aspect that really takes away the breath, an experience that simply cannot be captured watching YouTube videos of people playing in VR.

HTC Vive.jpg

I can't make this point enough... wearing a VR headset you are quite literally inside the cockpit of your car. The feeling and visuals you experience are simply breath taking. It really is amazing how the mind can be tricked into convincing your body you are sat inside the machine, so much so that even though at the time I'm running a big Fanatec BMW rim on my rig my brain see's the in game car wheel and convinces my body that I'm holding that specific size and shaped wheel. It's a spooky experience...

So far so good. In order to try and remain objective and keep this piece balanced, let's turn our attention to some of the immediately obvious issues one encounters when first sampling a VR headset within a sim racing environment. Namely motion sickness.

Now I am not one who easily suffers from motion sickness and I appreciate that views on this topic are subjective to how each individual reacts to the experience of wearing a VR headset for prolonged periods of time. When my Oculus first arrived I found myself only able to really drive comfortably for around 15 minutes at a time without the need for a break. After the 15 minute mark I started to feel a little bit queasy and hot under the collar due to the visual sensations received from the headset. This was using Assetto Corsa. If playing something slightly more visually taxing like DiRT Rally, then trying to complete a stage without removing the headset was basically impossible for me. This quickly became a concern. However after reading some of the considerable amounts of information on the internet my concerns gradually faded away, it is commonly acknowledged that players new to VR have to establish their "VR legs" so to speak, giving the mind and body a chance to adapt to this new experience. For me personally after around a week or so spent with the Rift I quickly overcame the initial sickness feeling and can now use my headset without issues for as long as I wish, running multiple races in one session or completing endurance stints of several hours at a time. Just because I now feel comfortable is no guarantee that everyone will share the same experience however. This factor needs to be considered before making a purchase yourself. I've heard a few people simply couldn't get on with the experience and have sold off their headset because of it.

VR In Game.jpg

So, does using VR make you faster? This is a very difficult question to answer, and the response will be different for each individual person. Taking my own experience with the Oculus Rift I would argue that I'm a quicker driver with the headset than without, and for sure my positional awareness and ability to navigate traffic is greatly improved because of VR.

The advantage of Virtual Reality over traditional monitors is most prominent when considering depth awareness. Because you are now firmly planted within a 3D environment, the curbs and track immediately in front of you are infinitely more prominent and "alive" than what is experienced on a tradition 2D screen setup. I feel using the headset I can pick out an apex much easier than before, and hit the apex on a considerably more consistent basis than was possible without the headset. The reason for this can be attributed to several factors in my opinion. Firstly the 3D environment is much closer aligned to the real world one is used to, and therefore the brain doesn't have to compensate for the lack of 3D images when picking out details of the track on a 2D screen. In a standard screen setup you have to apply a little bit of estimation between real and virtual when entering a corner as your eyes and brain are seeing something presented to you differently (i.e. in 2D) than you would experience in the real world. With VR you are in the car yourself and everything is as it would be in real life, the element of estimation has been removed. The track / corner / apex is presented to your eyes in 3D, as it would be in real life. Added to this you can see the depth of the apex and track much easier, it is quite simply a much more accurate representation of that particular piece of tarmac that you would find outside of a VR situation. For me at least this makes hitting the apex a much simpler and more natural experience, which obviously has a positive effect on overall laptimes.

Conversely because of the current lack of high resolution graphic rendering capabilities using VR, one could find it more difficult to accurately judge far off braking points using the headset, in comparison to the standard one or three monitor setup. For example when playing Assetto Corsa in the rift, despite having high in game visual settings and making VR specific adjustments to the pixel density, far off objects still remain considerably less clear than they ideally could be. This impacts the ability of the player to look up the road and make an accurate judgement of a far off braking zone and can even cause the eye to miss potential track blockages that would otherwise have been obvious to a monitor user. Over time one develops the ability to shut out this issue and compensate subconsciously for the lack of long draw distance quality, but it must be taken into account when considering the laptime advantages offered by using the rift or not. Personally I find this distraction to be of secondary importance compared to the additional immersion offered by the headset and improvements in the ability to pick out an apex and better understand depth perception within a game. This may not be the same result for other users and should be taken into account when considering purchasing a virtual headset device.

If truth be told it's still very early days in the world of Virtual Reality gaming and current VR headsets such as the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive have quite a way to go until they are capable of matching the visual fidelity of mid to high range monitor setups. Even with that taken into consideration I firmly believe (aside from the invention of FFB wheels) Virtual Reality is the single most impressive enhancement to a sim racers experience in the last dozen years. If you can afford to spend a not inconsequential amount of money on a device, and you are willing to overlook the drawbacks of the lower resolution produced by current units, then Virtual Reality isn't really the future of sim racing - it's the present day, right here, right now.

Will the technology improve over time? Yes I expect it will get considerably better over the next five years or so, but to be perfectly honest what we have available right here today is an outstanding piece of kit that will help take many sim racers above and beyond the levels of immersion they ever thought possible. It's tomorrow's technology, available and working on today's simulations. I love it.

Current racing / driving sims that support VR headsets include: American Truck Simulator, European Truck Simulator 2, Assetto Corsa, iRacing.com, Project CARS, RaceRoom Racing Experience, Live for Speed and DiRT Rally.

If sim racing equipment is your thing or you just want some advice before making a purchase, head on over to our Sim Racing Hardware sub forum here at RaceDepartment and engage with the often knowledgeable, and always helpful community members on a wide range of sim racing related equipment.

Do you think Virtual Reality is mature enough to become a "must have" piece of tech in sim racing? Do you expect the technology to improve in time? Have you tried VR yourself and what do you think? If you don't have a VR set, what is the main think that keeps you away? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I disagree on that. I sim fly a lot, and although I actually tried the Rift (v1) 2 and a half years ago in a flight sim convention in Holland, and thought the immersion of it fantastic, I cann8t imagine using it fot flightsimming, because it blinds me. I use dozens of keypresses and combos while flying, ant it's not possible to move all those to my hardware. And even my panels, cannot be operated blindfolded. This is my main reason for not wanting a VR for my flight simming. I use TrackIR and that works perfectly for me. But I cannot use TrackIR for my driving games. I lose track of where the car is pointing at, opposed to where my eyesight points. Probably just not enough time put into it.
Allright, I get that. I'm not into flight sims, it was just a thought, a wrong one as it seems ;)
I see no point in VR for racing. Looking around does not bring much in a race car. You use peripheral vision and mirrors (on triples) and if you would turn your head, you'd see the head protection of the seat,
TrackIR for racing does not work for me either btw.

Upvote 0
considering the high cost of a machine capable to make the VR and the cost of a VR headset itself it is a big NO by my side...
When VR will be available on the same hardware you can run a full detail game at 1080p on monitors and the headset will cost the same as a decent monitor then it will be a good alternative...
Now IMHO it's just a toy for rich people...
A good monitor 27 inch asus rog $700 a cv1 $600 ?????????

Upvote 0
Allright, I get that. I'm not into flight sims, it was just a thought, a wrong one as it seems ;)
I see no point in VR for racing. Looking around does not bring much in a race car. You use peripheral vision and mirrors (on triples) and if you would turn your head, you'd see the head protection of the seat,
TrackIR for racing does not work for me either btw.
yes and when in VR i can see the head protection and can get out of the car and walk around it and see all the great detail of my car ..also can spectate from the side of the track..one thing i did try stopped the car on a corner got out looked at the ripple strips.. like 4 feet away from me that caused me to spin out to high for F1 ok gt3 you can not do that on a monitor he he

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Great write up Paul. My 3rd year using VR for sim racing and even though my PC is not quite up to spec it has no choice to run VR till further notice.

Feel VR is not ready for the mass market, seen loads sells theirs because the cant deal with the resolution and would rather use monitors which is fair ......Personally the CV1 isnt as good value compared to the DK2 and should be a DK3.

VR is a perfect fit for sim racing and is definitely good enough for now for us who choose immersion over resolution .

Upvote 0
The question was if NOW VR is a good thing?
The reply is NO...
In the future maybe but not now...
With the costs of a machine to play VR sim you could afford a real car...

And don't forget that these kind of visors are around since 20 years now and still most people like better to play on a flat screen...
True. Apparently I can't read. :roflmao:

Upvote 0
Personally I decided that I cannot race on a monitor anymore. Got my Rift end of december and the racing went from great to incredible because I’ve got this feeling of really being in the car and experiencing all of the things happening around me and it feels real. Yes, the resolution isn’t that great but for racing that doesn’t matter imo. Also sims like Elite Dangerous are a completely new experience in VR. Looking at other games where you are not cockpit based it becomes more difficult because there are not many which provide fun for a longer amount of time. If you are into survival games I can recommend Subnautica – it feels fantastic to experience this underwater world.

Upvote 0
A single monitor is bullshit for simracing and everybody knows it... so u have to compare the coast of vr with a triple setup and a triple setup coast much more and u need a strong pc too. Vr is 90 fps and u need about 90-120 fps min. on every system.

Upvote 0
A follow-up article on the sims/titles you mentioned would be excellent reading too. Basically how much of a pain in the backside is it to get VR up on running on such titles and what settings should be applied for each. I would really like to see a thread or article on this especially for Assetto Corsa if it is one of the better examples of VR working.

Outstanding idea :) I'll get something put together about this asap. Please keep in mind I'm certainly no expert on the subject but I'm sure plenty of people will chime in on the comments and point out where I'm wrong / could have said it better etc :)

I will give you a short direct answer to your question here first. Setting up the rift (CV1) was actually incredibly easy to be honest. Once it's plugged in it ran me through a very futuristic and cool tutorial thing where I put it on the floor to teach it height, look around as requested for motion, then it was done!

With AC I booted up the game via SteamVR, changed the resolution to VR Beta, then basically played with my settings in the graphics options until I got a nice FPS I was happy with. To be fair that didn't take long at all and final thing I did, that made a nice difference, was change a value in a file to 2.0 (forget the file name now, others have mentioned it earlier in the comments) and I'm done! I set up a button to re centre the view when on track and that was it. Easy!

PCARS was the same, fired it up and adjusted graphics, did 3 laps in the rain and remembered I don't like the game, turned it off and played AC again!

So if someone who's a tech donkey like me can do it then trust me, it's easy as pie :)

Upvote 0
In regards to resolution if you have a good gpu gtx1070 or 1080 you can increase the pixel per display to 2.0 which doubles the pixels and then resolution is very close to your 1080p monitor IMO.. also you will find that in time you will not see the resolution prob.. just my 2 cents:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Outstanding idea :) I'll get something put together about this asap. Please keep in mind I'm certainly no expert on the subject but I'm sure plenty of people will chime in on the comments and point out where I'm wrong / could have said it better etc :)

I will give you a short direct answer to your question here first. Setting up the rift (CV1) was actually incredibly easy to be honest. Once it's plugged in it ran me through a very futuristic and cool tutorial thing where I put it on the floor to teach it height, look around as requested for motion, then it was done!

With AC I booted up the game via SteamVR, changed the resolution to VR Beta, then basically played with my settings in the graphics options until I got a nice FPS I was happy with. To be fair that didn't take long at all and final thing I did, that made a nice difference, was change a value in a file to 2.0 (forget the file name now, others have mentioned it earlier in the comments) and I'm done! I set up a button to re centre the view when on track and that was it. Easy!

PCARS was the same, fired it up and adjusted graphics, did 3 laps in the rain and remembered I don't like the game, turned it off and played AC again!

So if someone who's a tech donkey like me can do it then trust me, it's easy as pie :)
my /pc /documents /ac/ cfg/ oculus .. does not work if you change in steam/ steam apps/ac /cfg/oculus

Upvote 0
only 4 words ..try now buy now
What for? There is enough early adopters without me already. By the way, I appreciate your help, guys :) The more people get interested in VR, the sooner something usable and affordable (for the lack of a better word) will hit the market.

Maybe for you swapping a gadget in this price range (including the PC innards to go with it) every year or so for the next generation of it doesn't seem like an inconvenience, well, it pretty much is for other people.
I had some experience with a DK2, albeit not in a sim, and that was enough for me to get the general idea of where the whole thing is heading at. Eventually we will have proper VR gear, I'm sure of that. Right now? No, thank you. I'll let more enthusiastic people handle it first :)

Upvote 0
yes and when in VR i can see the head protection and can get out of the car and walk around it and see all the great detail of my car ..also can spectate from the side of the track..one thing i did try stopped the car on a corner got out looked at the ripple strips.. like 4 feet away from me that caused me to spin out to high for F1 ok gt3 you can not do that on a monitor he he
I don't see many pilots do that in real life, but whatever makes you happy, each his opinion.

Mine: with VR you have totally no awareness of what is happening around you IRL, whatever the awareness in VR is.
Nausea, having that hot thing on your head, pixelated view...naah...I'll pass...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like the Rift, it gives so much more immersion, better laptimes also included.
Richard Burns Rally for example is a lot more driveable with VR than ever before.

Everybody who tried it suffered motion sickness the first time. But it really gets better every time you use it.
The Resolution sucks but in a few years of time they should have solved it.
Also eyetracking is very important to further reduce motion sickness.

Upvote 0
I like the Rift, it gives so much more immersion, better laptimes also included.
Richard Burns Rally for example is a lot more driveable with VR than ever before.

Everybody who tried it suffered motion sickness the first time. But it really gets better every time you use it.
The Resolution sucks but in a few years of time they should have solved it.
Also eyetracking is very important to further reduce motion sickness.
Would you mind elaborating on eye-tracking? I think it might be one of the most helpful emerging technologies so far, but I'm not sure how it is relevant to racing sims and VR.

Upvote 0
Really would appreciate a follow-up article some time Paul.
I don't expect the experience to be perfect having looked at what most issues are but do feel others like me who currently are on the fence could be blown away with the immersion benefits just like yourself. It just depends on the individual perhaps, how much the benefits impresses them over the current downsides or niggles.

Have a sneaking suspicion my Sony Z4 tablet/keyboard could be going to CEX as a part trade in towards a CV1.

i7 6700K owners with GTX 1070 or GTX 1080
What are your framerates in Assetto Corsa with VR at the recommended visual settings?

Upvote 0
i7 6700k gtx1080 here, you can run 90 fps pretty constant but with 24 cars it will drop to 45 at times on certain tracks.. nurb gp for example with 24 cars it drops a fair bit to 45 but on Paul Ricard with 36 cars it doesn't drop as much and holds 90 more constant.

My settings are ultra/max everything except reflection(medium) and reflection rendering(static) smoke(normal) and glare quality(normal)
With custom pp on for sun rays brake lights etc..

You can run with pp off and supersampling set at 1.5-1.8 if you like it that way too and get much the same 90 fps with drops to 45 when lots of cars are together..but with pp off you can't easily see brake lights and there's no glare off headlights or sun..it's personal preference for that really.

Personally I don't think the 1080 is powerful enough and would love to be able sli with the rift with 2 1080's..that would mean supersampling at 1.8 or maybe 2.0 and pp on and 90fps constant..

P.S. I've only had my system for a month so it's possible there's more performance to be had I'm still new to pc/rift gaming..

P.P.S! I'll never go back to using a screen/monitor again for sim racing, sitting in the car with the proper steering wheel and dash in front of you for me is absolutely fantastic ..driving the 919hybrid squeezed into that cockpit with the terrible visibility, driving an open wheel car like the tatuus and watching the front wheel hit the apex is just something to behold, the 3D effect and feeling of being inside the game for me is truly awesome.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Really would appreciate a follow-up article some time Paul.
I don't expect the experience to be perfect having looked at what most issues are but do feel others like me who currently are on the fence could be blown away with the immersion benefits just like yourself. It just depends on the individual perhaps, how much the benefits impresses them over the current downsides or niggles.

Have a sneaking suspicion my Sony Z4 tablet/keyboard could be going to CEX as a part trade in towards a CV1.

i7 6700K owners with GTX 1070 or GTX 1080
What are your framerates in Assetto Corsa with VR at the recommended visual settings?
hi latte i have gtx 1070 i7 6700k no o/c with every thing on max in settings and NO post processing with 20 cars 90 fps .sometimes it drops to 45 when oculus asw kicks in .. but on some tracks it may drop lower but only for a VERY SHORT time .. if i have only 12 to 15 cars on track always 90 fps .also pixel per display set to 2.0 in oculus ini...a friend of mine has a 1080 and he is ok with pp turned on...PS you could get the new gtx titan x .but very expensive and the new gtx 1080ti may be available soon

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 103 12.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 52 6.4%