VR: Is it Really the Future?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
VR Article.jpg

Virtual Reality is fast becoming a mainstream alternative to the traditional ways we view our gaming experiences, but is it a long term solution for sim racers? RaceDepartment has a think on the subject...

In the not too distant past Virtual Reality (or VR for short) was the lone possession of a select few arcade machines simulating anything from first person shooters to Battle of Britain style fighter pilot games, yours for a few minutes of gaming pleasure in exchange for a healthy handful of loose change and presented in a strictly controlled environment. In fact I can clearly recall my first VR experience back in the mid to late 1990's at a local arcade in the north of England, strapping on a bulky headset and piloting the guns of a 'Red Barron' style double winged aircraft as enemy planes (actually more like pixelated dots at the time) flew above me and I gasped in awe at the realism of it all. Of course with the steady march of technological progression over the years that game would be laughed out of the door nowadays, but at the time the experience felt simply mind blowing.

Step in to 2017 and Virtual Reality has progressed at such a rate that the first serious VR headsets are slowing beginning to feed into the general gaming population. Back in 2012 Oculus began a Kickstarter initiative to develop their own VR headset for PC gaming, very quickly exceeding their initial funding target and in the end raising a staggering $2,437,429 across 9,522 backers - putting the wheels in motion for what has turned into a technological arms race to establish a clear lead in the quest for mainstream VR access in modern gaming. As of February 2017 Oculus (now owned by Facebook) have been joined in the VR marketplace by such industry giants as Sony with their PlayStation VR headset for console users with the HTC Vive now a genuine alternative for PC players, albeit a little more expense at around £700 in comparison to the Rift which retails around the £500 mark and the PSVR which usually comes in at a reasonable £350.

Project CARS VR.jpg

Mainstream VR technology is still very much in it's infancy, with issues surrounding the pixel density one of the main concerns from members of the public perhaps looking to upgrade from their current viewing solutions. As of today, no current VR headset can hope to match the graphics quality one can achieve with a standard monitor setup, let alone come close to the Ultra HD / 4k screens some lucky gamers have access to within their own gaming rooms. Couple this with the need to pack some serious hardware into your gaming PC in order to run the vast majority of VR ready title's at a reasonable performance level, it quickly becomes clear that VR gaming has not quite reached the stage where everyone would be willing to take up the obvious advantages, despite the many remaining pitfalls of the technology.

No doubt as the technology matures further in the coming years and more companies join the VR bandwagon these obstacles will be overcome in time, leaving open the original question posed by this post - is VR the future for racing simulations?

In order to answer that question I feel we first need to ask ourselves a series of questions to determine exactly how VR might fit into our future gaming requirements. The first question many serious sim racing enthusiasts may ask is - does running VR increase the immersion of simulation racing? Or in other words, do I feel more like I am driving a real race car when viewing the action from a headset rather than on a monitor (or three). For me the simple answer is yes, considerably so.

Using VR in a sim racing title is simply one of the most incredible things I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing during my many years playing racing games. The purity of the feeling of being strapped into a car is quite simply incomprehensible until you try it for yourself. With VR you are quite simply sitting in the car yourself, you are at one with the machinery around you and suddenly you find yourself transported from one who is playing an approximation of the real thing to someone who is physically part of the experience itself. It really is that good. Prior to trying VR myself for the first time I, like many others, watched a series of videos of people playing racing games with the headset on. I've seen countless videos of people looking around the environment inside the car, leaning forward to check the dials and generally making the most of the ability to completely experience the virtual world in which they are participating. That's all really cool. So cool in fact I decided that would be a great reason for purchasing VR and trying it out myself. This is where my mind was simply blown the first time I took the humble KTM X-Bow out around Spa in Assetto Corsa pretty much as soon as the headset arrived. It's not just the ability to look where you want in game that makes VR, after all you can achieve something similar with trackIR, it's the 3D aspect that really takes away the breath, an experience that simply cannot be captured watching YouTube videos of people playing in VR.

HTC Vive.jpg

I can't make this point enough... wearing a VR headset you are quite literally inside the cockpit of your car. The feeling and visuals you experience are simply breath taking. It really is amazing how the mind can be tricked into convincing your body you are sat inside the machine, so much so that even though at the time I'm running a big Fanatec BMW rim on my rig my brain see's the in game car wheel and convinces my body that I'm holding that specific size and shaped wheel. It's a spooky experience...

So far so good. In order to try and remain objective and keep this piece balanced, let's turn our attention to some of the immediately obvious issues one encounters when first sampling a VR headset within a sim racing environment. Namely motion sickness.

Now I am not one who easily suffers from motion sickness and I appreciate that views on this topic are subjective to how each individual reacts to the experience of wearing a VR headset for prolonged periods of time. When my Oculus first arrived I found myself only able to really drive comfortably for around 15 minutes at a time without the need for a break. After the 15 minute mark I started to feel a little bit queasy and hot under the collar due to the visual sensations received from the headset. This was using Assetto Corsa. If playing something slightly more visually taxing like DiRT Rally, then trying to complete a stage without removing the headset was basically impossible for me. This quickly became a concern. However after reading some of the considerable amounts of information on the internet my concerns gradually faded away, it is commonly acknowledged that players new to VR have to establish their "VR legs" so to speak, giving the mind and body a chance to adapt to this new experience. For me personally after around a week or so spent with the Rift I quickly overcame the initial sickness feeling and can now use my headset without issues for as long as I wish, running multiple races in one session or completing endurance stints of several hours at a time. Just because I now feel comfortable is no guarantee that everyone will share the same experience however. This factor needs to be considered before making a purchase yourself. I've heard a few people simply couldn't get on with the experience and have sold off their headset because of it.

VR In Game.jpg

So, does using VR make you faster? This is a very difficult question to answer, and the response will be different for each individual person. Taking my own experience with the Oculus Rift I would argue that I'm a quicker driver with the headset than without, and for sure my positional awareness and ability to navigate traffic is greatly improved because of VR.

The advantage of Virtual Reality over traditional monitors is most prominent when considering depth awareness. Because you are now firmly planted within a 3D environment, the curbs and track immediately in front of you are infinitely more prominent and "alive" than what is experienced on a tradition 2D screen setup. I feel using the headset I can pick out an apex much easier than before, and hit the apex on a considerably more consistent basis than was possible without the headset. The reason for this can be attributed to several factors in my opinion. Firstly the 3D environment is much closer aligned to the real world one is used to, and therefore the brain doesn't have to compensate for the lack of 3D images when picking out details of the track on a 2D screen. In a standard screen setup you have to apply a little bit of estimation between real and virtual when entering a corner as your eyes and brain are seeing something presented to you differently (i.e. in 2D) than you would experience in the real world. With VR you are in the car yourself and everything is as it would be in real life, the element of estimation has been removed. The track / corner / apex is presented to your eyes in 3D, as it would be in real life. Added to this you can see the depth of the apex and track much easier, it is quite simply a much more accurate representation of that particular piece of tarmac that you would find outside of a VR situation. For me at least this makes hitting the apex a much simpler and more natural experience, which obviously has a positive effect on overall laptimes.

Conversely because of the current lack of high resolution graphic rendering capabilities using VR, one could find it more difficult to accurately judge far off braking points using the headset, in comparison to the standard one or three monitor setup. For example when playing Assetto Corsa in the rift, despite having high in game visual settings and making VR specific adjustments to the pixel density, far off objects still remain considerably less clear than they ideally could be. This impacts the ability of the player to look up the road and make an accurate judgement of a far off braking zone and can even cause the eye to miss potential track blockages that would otherwise have been obvious to a monitor user. Over time one develops the ability to shut out this issue and compensate subconsciously for the lack of long draw distance quality, but it must be taken into account when considering the laptime advantages offered by using the rift or not. Personally I find this distraction to be of secondary importance compared to the additional immersion offered by the headset and improvements in the ability to pick out an apex and better understand depth perception within a game. This may not be the same result for other users and should be taken into account when considering purchasing a virtual headset device.

If truth be told it's still very early days in the world of Virtual Reality gaming and current VR headsets such as the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive have quite a way to go until they are capable of matching the visual fidelity of mid to high range monitor setups. Even with that taken into consideration I firmly believe (aside from the invention of FFB wheels) Virtual Reality is the single most impressive enhancement to a sim racers experience in the last dozen years. If you can afford to spend a not inconsequential amount of money on a device, and you are willing to overlook the drawbacks of the lower resolution produced by current units, then Virtual Reality isn't really the future of sim racing - it's the present day, right here, right now.

Will the technology improve over time? Yes I expect it will get considerably better over the next five years or so, but to be perfectly honest what we have available right here today is an outstanding piece of kit that will help take many sim racers above and beyond the levels of immersion they ever thought possible. It's tomorrow's technology, available and working on today's simulations. I love it.

Current racing / driving sims that support VR headsets include: American Truck Simulator, European Truck Simulator 2, Assetto Corsa, iRacing.com, Project CARS, RaceRoom Racing Experience, Live for Speed and DiRT Rally.

If sim racing equipment is your thing or you just want some advice before making a purchase, head on over to our Sim Racing Hardware sub forum here at RaceDepartment and engage with the often knowledgeable, and always helpful community members on a wide range of sim racing related equipment.

Do you think Virtual Reality is mature enough to become a "must have" piece of tech in sim racing? Do you expect the technology to improve in time? Have you tried VR yourself and what do you think? If you don't have a VR set, what is the main think that keeps you away? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Hey a 80% sitting 20% standing ratio isnt that bad. :)
Looking forward to the mods Robo has coming. 2017 could be a good year for VR.

Seems that Oculus are living up to good service from your experience and fast turnaround.
I will get my first taste of VR next week and see how it agrees with me.

Upvote 0
So for me, VR isn't the future, I tell you why...

Cos it's now, the present.... :)

Will install later today and see how things go but have been curious for quite a while and stood on the fence, mainly because it's an expensive "unknown". I am sure their are others like me, that such upgrades take time with little current free cash so the decision wasn't a light one.

Going to do as people suggest here and give it a couple of weeks once I get it all up and running but be quite critical and aware of its downsides. Thanks to those that contributed to this thread, it certainly helped me make the decision.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've written a brief guide for VR and sim racing, sharing setup tips and settings in game etc. I've got it all done, just need to do a screen print of my settings and add it to the article. Should be up on the site tomorrow I suspect.

I wrote it ages ago and I've been too lazy to put the pictures on! Hopefully it might help those of us who are new to it to get a decent initial base setting for some of the games :)

Upvote 0
You will enjoy VR. I had to sell my Oculus Rift because it hurt my head to wear it for extended periods of time, but that is not necessarily a problem with the design of the headset, I have a rather large cranium (literally and figuratively). I now have a Playstation VR headset, which has a different design and fits my head better, and it is great fun, including in racing games.

Upvote 0
So my early impressions, while the whole family is blown away with the VR immersion aspects and enjoying others reactions is quite fun too, NO denying how well 3D and scale of things works within these headsets. I was rather surprised by how light yet still solid build the Oculus Rift is.

Focusing on racing titles (I only tried AC), its true, that the sense of 3D spacial awareness and representation of scale it presents can only be appreciated when you experience it for yourself. Not that I doubted what others said and likewise someone reading my own views will read. This must be the closest visual WOW experience since colour was invented. It certainly opens a new world and perspective, hence why so many rave about it.

What has pleasantly surprised me, even with reading about this for almost a year, since it was released and watching many youtube videos by people is how well it represents the dips and climbs of tracks. A brilliant early example I found of this is the first corner to the F1 RedBull Ring. The incline towards this first corner, okay its not a big hill but gees man that road detail isn't seen on a flat screen and how turning and parking at the runoff at the top of this. Here you can get superb vista of the mountains, the track and see right down to the last corner and all the way up to the 2nd corner.

Literally just enjoying the (its like being there) aspect of it in a video game perspective, seeing the track in a new way. Immense fun watching other cars coming down the start/finish straight,tracking them sitting their idle peering out of the main windscreen then as they blast around the first corner, to continue watch them racing away out of the passenger window. So I'm having plenty of fun with these types of experiences and enjoying overtaking or passing cars, watching them as they go by before even concentrating on serious racing or fast lap times.

My criticism so far is not so much with the resolution which with above 1.5 starts to help make it more acceptable but actually the glare/lens flare effect, especially noticeable from whites on a black background. I find myself squinting at white text on black buttons for some of the cars/dash etc. Saturation of colours, especially red also seem to be very vivid, is their any ways to adjust the display, or only via in-game options?

So far Im finding forcing 45FPS with the Oculus tray tool is okay for me without having motion sickness issues.
Still much more things to try and do though. Yet I think I can live with 45 via Spacewarp and boost the visual quality to higher levels. I guess I will find out more as I spend more time trying other options.

Thanks to several members, helping out and special shout out to @bluey for the help he has given to me over PM.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mr Latte, have you ever tried NVIDIA 3d vision 2 prior to the OR, or any one else for that matter? I would love to hear from anyone who went from 3d vision to the OR. Thoughts etc...
I went from triples in 2d to single 3d, and can't go back...Ever, I've tried but flat 2d gaming is over for me. Can't wait to get an OR.

Upvote 0

Hey Andrew, yes I seen this a while back and considered it but as yet I've not bothered with any mods for the game.
Partly due to having bad experiences in the past with other titles and mods causing issues in some way or other.
I would like if possible to be able to run an unmodded (normal) version of the title and then be able to launch a modded versions, is this possible, either with two installs or some form of launch tool?

Mr Latte, have you ever tried NVIDIA 3d vision 2 prior to the OR, or any one else for that matter? I would love to hear from anyone who went from 3d vision to the OR. Thoughts etc...
I went from triples in 2d to single 3d, and can't go back...Ever, I've tried but flat 2d gaming is over for me. Can't wait to get an OR.

I did try a single screen experience of it at a friends and yes I have to say I enjoy 3D. I also had played around with GT5 using triple projectors (nice with no screen borders) but found the 3D in that to be very mixed, some things were good others were rather flat.

I seem to be fine and happy with 60Hz even on a 2D display and would be keener on aspects of increased resolution or image quality over say wanting a 120Hz or higher refresh. I did trial on one of my old projectors, years ago 120Hz via 720p resolution but while the smoothness was welcomed and noticeable given the choice I'd rather of had 1080p and 60Hz. I have a friend that is very skeptical to screen tearing and also motion judder, yet others are not, so do feel much of peoples opinions will depend on how the experience feels for them.

VR is another example perhaps of how different people's preference may vary when it comes to image/quality and refresh rates and how tolerable they are to lower refresh being annoying or indeed how super high refresh is appealing. I think it will also swing the other way in that for some the resolution factor even with set to 2.0 may annoy some, while it is more than acceptable from1.5 increased pixel density applied above for the majority it seems.

With Oculus, compared to normal 3D options. I would say that you avoid in general image flicker factor and the dimness factor with passive/active glasses. I owned/experienced both. I don't know what the nits/specs are or how accurate it covers the RGB spectrum but for the very most part, the presentation and delivery from the screen manages to create a vivid and enjoyable experience.

Fans of 3D, especially those that do not get nausea sensations, shouldn't have any trouble enjoying VR. The Cmoar cinema app delivers a rather impressive experience of a cinema with excellent 3D and authentic BIG screen impression with decent enough quality. You do get immersed into it as I've several times been sitting with keyboard on my lap only to look down in VR wondering where my keyboard is as I try to type.

Glare Example
What I would ask is other owners to try the Titanic experience and with the text/titles used with bold white characters on a black background these on my unit produce a high level of glare (jokingly called Michael Bay God Rays).

Perhaps see UKRifter (YouTube Channel) for his videos on comparing to Vive and he does some easy going reviews on various titles.

Hope its some help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just ordered mine. I just recieved my class C in iRacing and have the Porsche GT3 and Sebring. Looking forward to running that series in VR. My only hesitation was that I really like rFactor2 and AMS for offline AI racing and may not come back to it until they get VR support. I guess thats a good problem? Guess AC will become my offline sim of choice for the time being.

Upvote 0
Wow this thread is still going :) Awesome! Didn't realise at the time how much love VR gets in sim racing.

As a side note I did my first club event last night with the rift. I've been avoiding club racing for ages because I cant go back to screens and didn't realise the rift had a built in mic :D

Anyway doing "proper" online racing in a club using VR was simply exceptional! I would highly recommend it to you guys if you haven't already tried it..

I've done plenty of public lobby races with it, but this guy and me had a full 30 minute side by side / nose to tail tussle in the Abarth 500's in Assetto Corsa and with the headset on it was my best sim racing experience so far. It was that good.

You just cant underestimate the awesomeness of a decent field of clean drivers when you use VR, it's out of this world... plus I found it much easier to race with him because I could see everything properly and really knew where he was when we ran side by side. Big advantage I think, help with a number of switch back passing moves :)

Upvote 0
Have fiddled with 3D Tridef, 3d Vision and Iz3D. And that is also real great when you get it right.
The advantages with VR vs 'Normal' 3D is harder to explain. The in the car experience is something you have to try for your self.
But I agree if you like 3D you will really love VR!
Not a big fan of the 'Big Screen' Vr you get with unsupported games. A real 3D projector is much better.
If you like Ac and or Pcars you will like them even better in VR. If you do not care much for them VR will not improve on that!
If you would like to play unsupported games make sure the VR headset support extended mode. Or other way to support 'in cockpit' experience.
My favorite games are Gtr2 and Il-2 Cod and with Reshade and VR they are even better!

Upvote 0
Just got my Oculus Rift!!! Amazing!!! Resolution is plenty good and the immersion is unequaled. I will never go back to a monitor unless VR breaks. I get motion sick on boats and riding in the back seat of cars but with this only get brief vertigo like feelings with switchbacks and hitting a wall (thats an interesting experiance) makes me not want to hit walls anymore. I am sure those little issues will go away as i get used to driving with VR. It is a no brainer for me. Cost is cheaper than 3 quality screens and the performance will only get better and more supported.

Upvote 0
I use reading glasses, so was wondering if anyone using VR and wearing glasses at the same time could comment on how it feels. Do you get any eye strain or indeed any issues with your glasses catching or touching the headset?

Upvote 0
You do not need to wear reading glasses in a VR headset. The lenses in the Rift are focused at 2 meters. So if you can see an object 2 meters away clearly without glasses, you do not need them in the Rift.
I'm nearsighted (can't see clearly beyond 30 cm), so I need my glasses. My glasses have a thin frame and I can wear them in my Rift without any problems. The glasses do not touch the lenses of the Rift. No eye strain whatsoever.

Upvote 0
I have never had any trouble regarding sickness in VR. DirtRally is quite the rollercoaster in the beginn, but my brain got used to it instantly (lucky me!). In real life I still get squeezy on boats though.

Another thing I observed, since driving in VR, I most of the time drive with my mouth wide open - not sure if I did that using the trippel setup. I'm sure I've seen lots of rally drivers with the same ":laugh::laugh: problem" on close-ups whilst hammering through some scarry stages.

I'm only driving DirtRally for now, I tried to keep my mouth closed, did not work at all - it's not a real problem apart from dry lips if driving too long :roflmao::roflmao:

Any similar observations? Other behaviour you changed unconsciously whilst driving in VR?

ps: what should I try with my HTC Vive regarding track-racing? I'm not a big fan (yet!), but I'm keen on a further experience apart from DirtRally. NO experience whatsoever in trackracing (did a few RX events in DirtRally), an easier start than I had with DirtRally would be nice (I struggled a lot, having not driven any racing game before with steering wheel etc.)

Upvote 0
Decided to install project cars to test VR.
Nordschleife at night, a nice thunderstorm, using a GTR 3 car is simply amazing and no other game can provide this at the moment. I noticed PC has that much more details surrounding the track (lots of different tree assets for example), which makes it much more believable. The track details go beyond the first layer of trees other games provide, it really is a green hell and in the distance you can spot more tree and hills.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 342 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 230 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 231 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 174 7.9%