DiRT Rally VR For Dirt Rally 1?

Just watched this preview video for Dirt Rally 2. Towards the end of the video, William mentions that VR support was provided post-release for the original Dirt Rally.

I have a Lenovo Explorer Headset (WMR) and would like to give this a try. So, can anyone provide a link to what steps to follow to get VR working in the original Dirt Rally?

Thanks!

• Deleted member 197115

Only on Oculus, you need to do some magic with Revive, I barely made it work with WMR but the performance and visual quality wasn't worth the effort.

I've been playing Dirt 1.0 in VR exclusively for over a year and recently with the NLRv3 seat mover and 4 transducers. I'm having a blast with it again. The seat mover really puts you in the action!

Granted I'm using a Rift so there haven't been any technical difficulties ( with that )

I will say that when I first started, Dirt Rally was hard on my stomach. It took me about a week playing about 20-30 minutes a day ( until I started to get queasy) to get my VR legs.

Now I love it!

Hey guys, does anyone mind talking about settings? I have been really messing around with the setting in the hopes to drive a consistent 90fps in VR and really am struggling. Is anyone else having this issue?
Hardware:
i7-4790k
1080ti
16GB Ram
Oculus Rift
-Maybe it's just not possible with this set up?

I've been running Dirt Rally 1.0 in VR for about 18 months with the following:
  • ASRock H97M-ITX/ac
  • i5-4690 ( no OC )
  • 1080ti
  • 16Gb Ram
  • Oculus Rift.
  • Fanatec CSW 2.5, CS 3.0 pedals BPK, CS 1.5 shifter, CS Hand brake
for the last couple months with
  • NLRv3 motion system
  • SimHub for tactile.
  • Derek Spears button box
I'm currently running Windows 10 Pro with patches up to date, latest Nvidia Game ready driver.

I typically launch from the NLRv3 software.

I've been enjoying it quite a bit. I do get an occasional stutter, but typically that is only when Windows 10 decides it needs to download a new security patch while I'm playing.

However it is HORRIBLE while it is loading in the beginning unlike PC2 which is almost universally solid and smooth at all times.

I think I have all the settings turned up, but I'll go check. I haven't actually run a frame rate tracking tool to see what the frame rates are. I may be falling back on ASW and rendering only at 45fps, but displaying at 90fps. I'm not sure.

What do you typically use to monitor frame rates?

I'm going to amend my earlier post. I was CPU bottlenecked. It was playable, but I didn't realize what it could feel like.

I recently went all in and upgraded to an i9-9900K with 4 banks of 8Gb RAM. I'm not saying that you need to get anything like that, but now everything feels instantaneous and synced up. The motion system responds better. The VR is much smoother, and the car feels like it responds to my inputs perfectly.

As a result my driving has improved dramatically and I'm enjoying it a lot more and playing much longer marathon sessions.

Hey guys, does anyone mind talking about settings? I have been really messing around with the setting in the hopes to drive a consistent 90fps in VR and really am struggling. Is anyone else having this issue?
Hardware:
i7-4790k
1080ti
16GB Ram
Oculus Rift
-Maybe it's just not possible with this set up?

Yeah, that i7-4790K is not a good match for a 1080ti. Definitely a bottleneck there. A six core processor is really going to be what's needed, and an i78700K would be a perfect fit.

I'm going to amend my earlier post. I was CPU bottlenecked. It was playable, but I didn't realize what it could feel like.

I recently went all in and upgraded to an i9-9900K with 4 banks of 8Gb RAM. I'm not saying that you need to get anything like that, but now everything feels instantaneous and synced up. The motion system responds better. The VR is much smoother, and the car feels like it responds to my inputs perfectly.

As a result my driving has improved dramatically and I'm enjoying it a lot more and playing much longer marathon sessions.

That's a great processor, should treat you fine for some years to come, especially when you upgrade your GPU.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 121 10.9%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 163 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 308 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 440 39.5%