VR crashes pc when loading into track

I'm using Oculus Quest 2 and loading the game though Steam VR. When selecting track hitting "start" my headset black screens then my PC goes into what I'm assuming Sleep mode or just plain shuts down. I had it Working like it should for a couple day but now its doing this. Everything is up to date and the cord is fine just not sure what kills it. Game is put in VR screen mode and the Oculus App says its connected and ready to play. Any ideas on what might help it playable again?

I’m having exactly the same problem when using CSP 1.75 preview and Sol 2.0.2. Game runs fine on the monitor but crashes the game, the computer and the Oculus Quest 2 when I try to run it in VR. When I remove Sol 2.0.2 and roll back to CSP 1.60 everything runs fine in VR.

Last edited:
I’m having exactly the same problem when using CSP 1.75 preview and Sol 2.0.2. Game runs fine on the monitor but crashes the game, the computer and the Oculus Quest 2 when I try to run it in VR. When I remove Sol 2.0.2 and roll back to CSP 1.60 everything runs fine in VR.
THIS WORKED! 1.60 runs like normal. The only problem is the sky is missing, just a black void. any idae if other CSP's work without the crash?

Thank you both SO MUCH. I dumped about a day trying to get Assetto Corsa running and had the exact same symptoms described as the OP. (Sleep mode too)

I was running CSP 1.73 (Custom shaders patch), and SOL. (Guessing approx ver 1.5 - don't know how to check)
Switching to CSP 1.60 = success! I could leave SOL enabled.

Frame rates over beta V29 Air Link aren't amazing, and seem to drop really bad when drifting tight corners. (Feels like 15fps and becomes temporarily undrivable). Otherwise it's fine and I was able to turn out a few laps.

I'm just dumping all my information here for the next person.

Oculus Quest 2 headset
- Using V29 software, Air Link beta. Worked w 72hz, tried 90hz to try and get a smoother feel and I think it got worse unless sitting still. Will try wired later when cable arrives via amazon in 3hrs.
- Air link setup = PC -> CAT5E -> TP-Link AX11000 router (Verified 1000mbps ethernet connection) -> Dedicated 5ghz 4800Mbps Wifi 6 SSID for the headset.
Turns out that is super overkill and likely in the future, no more than 500Mbps would be used for the Quest 2. (AMD is also currently hard-limited to 100Mbps, Nvidia 200Mbps as of 6/2 for Air Link)

RX 580 GPU on 21.5.1 drivers. On my main 2D monitor, the game looks like it is running smoothly. I dumped many of the settings low to start. I think my framerate issues are just because of Air Link's current limitations.

Thank you, rolling back to CSP 1.60 made it work with an Oculus Rift S but no sky

I wonder if any other settings of newer CSP versions is causing these crashes, I tried disabling all "VR Tweaks" but still nothing

Is anyone else able to run their game in VR with latest CSP versions ? Doing so either crashes my whole PC or AMD drivers timeout, I have a RX580 4GB graphics card with i7-10700k CPU and 32GB RAM

Thanks for this, I spent 2 hours trying to find a way to fix it to no solution. I still have no sky but at least the vr works now, I guess I have to wait for new updates.

Just to share the solution i found is to remove csp through CM and manually download and install it (i used 0.1.60).

The problem with mine (Oculus Rift S) was it crashed the PC when a certain track+car combo is loaded (not sure which - mine was Nordschleiffe tourist with bunch of GT3s).

Not sure what is going on for you guys but it's definitely not the norm, every version of CSP I've tried recently (.60, .68, .74 and now on .75) has worked faultlessly in VR (with versions of Sol to suit), and the AC Custom Shaders VR channel doesn't show anyone else having issues with recent versions of CSP and/or Sol in VR.

Oh and black sky is typically a combination of CSP and Sol that don't work together (ie Sol 2.0.# requires a minimum of CSP 1.63, Sol 2.1.# requires CSP 1.69 and above).

Last edited:
I have the same issue with latest csp.
csp 1.60 works as expected with vr.

I'm using an amd vega64 with a dell visor (wmr hmd)

according to google it seems that there are a lot of people with the same problem and hardware.

I think the problem only affects AMD cards. I have an RX 570. There is a workaround to get it working with CSP 1.75. In Content Manager (assuming you use it), go to the Video section of native Assetto Corsa settings and set the custom resolution to 0 x 0 x XXHz or your Headset's resolution (2160x2160 and 4320x2160 both worked for me). This resolution is actually meant for the monitor but somehow it affects the headset's resolution. The only problem I have is the Headset's resolution is significantly degraded in game even though you define a custom resolution. Hope the developer fixes it.

Last edited:
Just an update from me since I had the same issue here as you can read in my post of the 3rd June

I just gave up after many months of raging trying to make that thing work

Note that I'm working as an IT support technician for multiple companies at the time I write this so I know what I went into

After trying everything, I assume it's just the AMD drivers that are at fault on this one and it's not surprising to be honest

Even FiveM (the modded online version of GTA) was working for only 10 mins before crashing for the same driver timeouts with the AMD card and there was no VR involved...

On the hardware side AMD cards are very good but the problem is on the software side, the drivers are better now than what they were some years ago but here is the proof that AMD still have improvements to make

AMD drivers are known for their poor reliability when you start going a bit "unusual" shall we say just like our case here where we are trying to have multiple mods displayed in VR

I just upgraded to a Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super graphics card and the VR with all the latest versions of SOL, CSP and CM just worked on the 1st try, only thing changed was the GPU and of course the drivers going with it, I didn't reinstall the game or anything

I wish I could help more all the people here that are struggling with an AMD card just like I was but I assure you I did all I could and nothing worked, using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) countless times, trying almost all AMD Radeon Software and drivers I could find, tweaking many Assetto Corsa and Shaders patch settings...

I used my AMD RX580 for a year which was an impressive upgrade from the Nvidia GTX 745 I was struggling with in the past because of its lack of power but I just couldn't stand looking at my Oculus Rift S lying on the table unused because of those damn AMD drivers timeouts

As a conclusion, I recommend using a Nvidia graphics card if your use involves more modding for VR because of the drivers stability

Last edited:
I'm using Oculus Quest 2 and loading the game though Steam VR. When selecting track hitting "start" my headset black screens then my PC goes into what I'm assuming Sleep mode or just plain shuts down. I had it Working like it should for a couple day but now its doing this. Everything is up to date and the cord is fine just not sure what kills it. Game is put in VR screen mode and the Oculus App says its connected and ready to play. Any ideas on what might help it playable again?
If you updated the Oculus then that your problem. The new update is not compatible with your graphic card or your graphic can not handle the update. So if possible go back to the previous software version. If Not you have to upgrade your graphic card to handle to power of the Oculus 2.

I also have SOL / CSP issue. I'm running SOL 2.2 and tried running 0.1.60 and like everyone else got the black weather / sky. So I updated CSP to 0.1.74 and the weather works and VR works however it doesn't render to my main screen correctly. I have a widescreen monitor so want to to render full screen (two reason:1. my boy sometime watches me 2. I record and post to youtube) With it not rendering fullscreen it doesn't look right at all. Does anyone have a solution to this?

Good that you sorted the black sky issue, had you read the accompanying documentation with Sol you would've read it requires CSP 1.69 and above. To enable full screen on your monitor try disabling 'custom VR mirroring' in settings>custom shaders patch>vr tweaks.

Who knows its helpful for the black sky problem:
first, check if the combo CSP and SoL is the right version combination, as you can read here above or at the SoL section.
second, read this, https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/black-sky.212116/

Another point, I doubt that an AMD RX470 or RX480 can handle AC in a decent VR mode. I did have an RTX1080 but even at its overclocked stage, it was still overflowing by AC in VR. Try to run AC-VR with an AMD RX470/480 in the lowest graphic settings, maybe its not capable to run AC in VR.

Hi

first thanks to all that have shared their tests. I think i've found the solution

My PC
RX580 8gb
Oculus Quest2

Simptoms
when launching from CM monitor goes to sleep and crashes

Solution
Sol is the problem. I've been able to play with CSP 01..7.7 but you have to disable weather and sol post processing. Or use a another script to manage weatherFX (screenshot of weatherFX config)

I could play on CSP 0.1.6, i couldn't play on CSP 0.1.7.3 if Sol or Weather FX enabled.

Hope that helps!

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2022-03-22 202548.png
    Captura de pantalla 2022-03-22 202548.png
    645.8 KB · Views: 110
After some testing. I installed sol 2.2 manually as the guide says and I've been able to play with weather FX controlled by SOL, but not enabled in postprocessing. As soon as enabled there (any profile) It doesn't work

Attachments

• sol2.2.png
    sol2.2.png
    565 KB · Views: 96
  • postposhut.png
    postposhut.png
    542.7 KB · Views: 197
please separate the problems.
Post processing is not Sol. If you enable postprocessing and switch to default in weatherFX, for the weather script. Does it run?
Second. If you select "Sol" in weatherFX weather script and you enable Post Processing, which ppfilter do you use?

Further, what do you mean by "it does not work"?

Last edited:
please separate the problems.
Post processing is not Sol. If you enable postprocessing and switch to default in weatherFX, for the weather script. Does it run?
Second. If you select "Sol" in weatherFX weather script and you enable Post Processing, which ppfilter do you use?

Further, what do you mean by "it does not work"?
Hi Peter

I recall testing Sol and default, and both ending in dark/sleep monitor and no VR, like the problem described at the start of the thread

It's not really a big issue as I can play without PPfilter

thanks for the help and great job on CSP

Attachments

• ppfilter.png
    ppfilter.png
    125.3 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 340 15.5%
  • < 2 years