VR and texture size oddities

ashasha

Premium
I'm running a 1080ti and just noticed that by turning up the texture resolution on just about everything in Content Manager my performance has improved dramatically when running in VR (rift). It not only looks better, but I can maintain 90fps most of the time (as long as I don't run a huge number of cars). Once I start bringing the texture resolution down my framerate drops. Nothing overclocked; my CPU is a Ryzen 7 2700X and I'm running 16GB of 3200MHz ram.

It's the weirdest and most backwards thing to me. I just assumed that lowering things would improve performance, but the GPU just backs down to about 50-60%; once I slam it with high texture it cranks up to about 95-97% and only dips at the beginning and in a few spots occasionally for a second or two.

Am I insane? I literally can't turn anything else up in there except to go to 8X MSAA and then it starts to complain.

• Deleted member 197115

Which specific settings you are talking about, there is no Texture resolution settings in AC.

i5 2500k, GTX 1070 Ti. Max world detail, msaa 4x, SS 2.3, max quality pp, reflections toned down, shadows minimized. Can race against 10 ai maintaining requirements for ASW most tracks. What bogs me down seems to be # of ai. Yet to try msaa at 8x.

PS that's racing in Oculus.

Typically these are the things you want to turn down to improve performance. You're saying cranking them up makes performance better in VR?
Yeah. For some reason I can't get the GPU to crank up to push 90fps without making it work harder. I have everything for power set to performance.

Now I haven't had a chance to follow up on this much because I have been messing with the latest version of SOL and the shaders which were causing all kinds of weird issues (since resolved to some degree) so I basically burnt an entire day on that.

• Deleted member 197115

Did you try this?
upload_2019-4-2_21-45-37.png

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline