VR 90FPS - my personal Solution

After almost 2 months testing possibilities to put my Assetto Corsa running at VR 90fps over online sessions (such as Nordschleife Tourist with 32 connected players) I think I finally found the solution.

Recap, my setup is:
i7 7700 + 16gb DDR4 Hyperx Fury 2133mhz + RTX 2070 + 1tb HDD + Lenovo Explorer + Win10

Andrew_WOT recommend me to use the AC Shaders Patch tweaks and it did a GREAT improvement performance but not solved 100%. (thank you Andrew for the tips)
It has improved the FPS from AVG 62 to 64, it is 3,23%

So I started looking for the reason I'm having CPU Bound and I discovered a simple and basic fact: RAM memory has the responsibility to provide the communication with CPU and GPU. If you are using a slow memory kit, it will affect dramatically your FPS performance on the games.

Also I noticed there is a lot of people running good memory kit but without BIOS tweaks such XMP profiles to enjoy full speed of the equipment.

My SOLUTION:

I did a memory overclock, from 2133mhz to 3066mhz.

The bandwidth speed was improved in +-40% and the latency was reduced in +-11% from 57.4ns to 50.2ns (latency also influences a lot in games) HUGE IMPROVEMENT HERE.
(It is stable with more than 5 hours of stress tests with Aida64 and MemTest86)
check the pics

*** I removed the part what I was saying about to turn Hyperthread OFF to improve the performance. After few more tests I noticed I was wrong, thanx for the people here who has give the same feedback.***

This moment your AC fps have improved a lot.
Assetto Corsa is running with 90fps locked 90% of the time over online sessions even on Nordschleife Tourist with 32 connected drivers!

A in game benchmark on post No. 18 bellow this

Imagem 014.jpg

Attachments

• cachemem.png
    cachemem.png
    91.3 KB · Views: 483
  • cachemem t10.png
    cachemem t10.png
    91.4 KB · Views: 481
  • Imagem 010.png
    Imagem 010.png
    399.7 KB · Views: 495
  • Imagem 011.png
    Imagem 011.png
    798.2 KB · Views: 426
  • Imagem 012.png
    Imagem 012.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:
for me the best solution was this https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9odbvz/fixed_old_oculus_home_runtime_w_instructions/
no oculus software at all. all games straight to head display. with i5 4670 and gtx1080 i get everything max and stable 90 fps. i used the oculus home and had ss1.5 and everything else minimum, no shadows , not reflections. now i cant explain it but its smooth and amazing. not only on assetto corsa. i play rf2 too. 3 lvl aa and 2 of level detail. ingame all full except reflections to low.

• Deleted member 197115

If you are on WMR, disable temporal reprojection, it's borked at the moment and will take you into 45fps when you can run 90 with it disabled.
I had mixed results with HT on and off, with AC it does not make it worse but doesn't help much either, unless you also push clock higher, other titles utilizing more threads can suffer though.

If you are on WMR, disable temporal reprojection, it's borked at the moment and will take you into 45fps when you can run 90 with it disabled.
I had mixed results with HT on and off, with AC it does not make it worse but doesn't help much either, unless you also push clock higher, other titles utilizing more threads can suffer though.

Andrew, the issue what you mentioned about the WMR Reprojection is real.

Yesterday I did some tests with it turned Off and it has worked somehow better than on Auto.
Now it's running, I don't know how to explain, but it feels more buttery than before.

I will edit the first post with this precious tip.

Thx

• Deleted member 197115

There were lots of complaints about that on Steam, I wasn't taking it seriously initially until did controlled test running AC replay in VR with fpsVR active. With reprojection on Auto GPU was loaded higher, pushing me into reprojection when things were getting busy, with it off, there was enough headroom letting me stay at 90 fps.
I believe it was one of the recent WMR updates that broke things.

I would be interested in someone having the k version to test whether or not memory speeds making a difference when the cpu is pushed to let's say 4.7 GHz.
On my old I7 2600k there's maybe 2 fps difference in the cpu limit between 1333 MHz and my current 2133 MHz.

I'll give the lasso a try to disable ht ingame. Not sure if it's possible with my cpu+mobo combo but I'll report back!

Thanks for putting this report/guide online. Good findings and I see no misinformation in it like it's sadly often the case with online forums.. :thumbsup:

I would be interested in someone having the k version to test whether or not memory speeds making a difference when the cpu is pushed to let's say 4.7 GHz.
On my old I7 2600k there's maybe 2 fps difference in the cpu limit between 1333 MHz and my current 2133 MHz.

I'll give the lasso a try to disable ht ingame. Not sure if it's possible with my cpu+mobo combo but I'll report back!

Thanks for putting this report/guide online. Good findings and I see no misinformation in it like it's sadly often the case with online forums.. :thumbsup:

RasmusP,
Did you overclock your CPU?
What is your memory kit? DDR3 or 4?

I think your CPU is still good nowadays and the problem is your memory speed.

And I think the memory speed will affect the game speed in any CPU.. there is a lot of videos on YouTube making this kind of benchmark.. like this

RasmusP,
Did you overclock your CPU?
What is your memory kit? DDR3 or 4?

I think your CPU is still good nowadays and the problem is your memory speed.

And I think the memory speed will affect the game speed in any CPU.. there is a lot of videos on YouTube making this kind of benchmark.. like this
Yes I did. 3.4 to 4.4 GHz :)
My memory is ddr3 and therefore already basically the maximum that's possible. DDR3 goes from 800 MHz to 2133 MHz while the mainstream memory was/is 1333 or 1600.
I had 1333 MHz memory from 2011 until last year, overclocked it to 1600 in 2016.
Now I got 2133 MHz memory from a friend who upgraded to amd ryzen and ddr4.

I tested all sims, Witcher 3, battlefield 5, assassin's creed, video rendering and cinebench. Basically no difference from 1600 to 2133. 1333 to 1600 is a very tiny difference too.
Only dropping it down to 1033 MHz dropped fps by around 5%.

So for my cpu it really does not make any difference overall but maybe that would be different without the cpu being overclocked... Gonna set my cpu back to default next week and test the ram speeds again!
And of course your cpu has a completely difference architecture so memory speeds might have a way bigger influence to performance!

Yes I did. 3.4 to 4.4 GHz :)
My memory is ddr3 and therefore already basically the maximum that's possible. DDR3 goes from 800 MHz to 2133 MHz while the mainstream memory was/is 1333 or 1600.
I had 1333 MHz memory from 2011 until last year, overclocked it to 1600 in 2016.
Now I got 2133 MHz memory from a friend who upgraded to amd ryzen and ddr4.

I tested all sims, Witcher 3, battlefield 5, assassin's creed, video rendering and cinebench. Basically no difference from 1600 to 2133. 1333 to 1600 is a very tiny difference too.
Only dropping it down to 1033 MHz dropped fps by around 5%.

So for my cpu it really does not make any difference overall but maybe that would be different without the cpu being overclocked... Gonna set my cpu back to default next week and test the ram speeds again!
And of course your cpu has a completely difference architecture so memory speeds might have a way bigger influence to performance!

Based on these YouTube memory benchmark videos, and my personal experience, I'm still thinking the 2133 DDR3 or 4 will affect performance on games, mainly for VR.

By the way, after my overclock, cinebench r15 and geekbench4 just increased the performance in 4%. But the performance in game a lot...

just out of interest, ( i5 6600k @ 4.7Ghz , Gtx1080 , 3440 x 1440 monitor )
set ddr4 to 2666 Mhz.
AC
full field 23 Ai,
all setting at or near max,
at start 100 fps
then set ddr4 to 3266 Mhz.
No difference in fps at all. Oh dear.:(

I started this post talking about VR experience over online sessions like Nordschleife with 32 connected drivers. To summarize:
- with DDR4 2133mhz the ASW kicked in 90% of the time.
- With DDR4 3066mhz 90fps is locked 95% time.
- For non online sessions, for both memory speed scenarios I always got 90fps locked.
- Thousands of YouTube videos making benchmark fps comparisons with a common result: Higher DDR4 speed affects the FPS performance.

I'll make a video of my personal experience.

Thx for your reports!

just out of interest, ( i5 6600k @ 4.7Ghz , Gtx1080 , 3440 x 1440 monitor )
set ddr4 to 2666 Mhz.
AC
full field 23 Ai,
all setting at or near max,
at start 100 fps
then set ddr4 to 3266 Mhz.
No difference in fps at all. Oh dear.:(

Keep in mind that on not all scenarios or "use cases" you will see a difference. On your specific test are you measuring FPS from the cockpit or outside cameras?
As I explain on my experience, I was curious about both my CPU&GPU holding back usage while suffering low FPS on certain cameras views on a particular track/turn. What I could measure was a very high number of triangles and complex scenery (based on the rendering stats AC app) on them that I hardly match on regular situations (like being inside cockpit). Your numbers looks quiet good for your specs, just do not know which cars, track, grid position, etc. are being used.

interesting to see this on AC regarding ram speed, this is a similar conclusion that hardcore VR users of a flight sim, IL2 sturmovik report. They seem to find a 10FPS gain for every 100 mHz increase in memory speed up to about 3600 mHz and it begins to resuce FPS per mHz ratio from 3600 to ~4000 mHz which is about the fastest real world memory speed I have seen applied to sims in VR

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 80 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 314 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing