VR 90FPS - my personal Solution

After almost 2 months testing possibilities to put my Assetto Corsa running at VR 90fps over online sessions (such as Nordschleife Tourist with 32 connected players) I think I finally found the solution.

Recap, my setup is:
i7 7700 + 16gb DDR4 Hyperx Fury 2133mhz + RTX 2070 + 1tb HDD + Lenovo Explorer + Win10

Andrew_WOT recommend me to use the AC Shaders Patch tweaks and it did a GREAT improvement performance but not solved 100%. (thank you Andrew for the tips)
It has improved the FPS from AVG 62 to 64, it is 3,23%

So I started looking for the reason I'm having CPU Bound and I discovered a simple and basic fact: RAM memory has the responsibility to provide the communication with CPU and GPU. If you are using a slow memory kit, it will affect dramatically your FPS performance on the games.

Also I noticed there is a lot of people running good memory kit but without BIOS tweaks such XMP profiles to enjoy full speed of the equipment.

My SOLUTION:

I did a memory overclock, from 2133mhz to 3066mhz.

The bandwidth speed was improved in +-40% and the latency was reduced in +-11% from 57.4ns to 50.2ns (latency also influences a lot in games) HUGE IMPROVEMENT HERE.
(It is stable with more than 5 hours of stress tests with Aida64 and MemTest86)
check the pics

*** I removed the part what I was saying about to turn Hyperthread OFF to improve the performance. After few more tests I noticed I was wrong, thanx for the people here who has give the same feedback.***

This moment your AC fps have improved a lot.
Assetto Corsa is running with 90fps locked 90% of the time over online sessions even on Nordschleife Tourist with 32 connected drivers!

A in game benchmark on post No. 18 bellow this

Imagem 014.jpg

Attachments

• cachemem.png
    cachemem.png
    91.3 KB · Views: 490
  • cachemem t10.png
    cachemem t10.png
    91.4 KB · Views: 484
  • Imagem 010.png
    Imagem 010.png
    399.7 KB · Views: 504
  • Imagem 011.png
    Imagem 011.png
    798.2 KB · Views: 430
  • Imagem 012.png
    Imagem 012.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
let prime95 run for 30 days non stop. All went fine!
Holly sh**t, those memories must have aged !!!

For a few years now I have completely discounted memory speed.
Many of us did. This because most of the information on the internet related to this topic states that memory speeds are not relevant for game performance. Most articles did their test on synthetic benchmarks or on games following some generic scenarios where the memory speed is not a factor. Until one begins to elaborate its own specific testing and come up with interesting stats (CPU/GPU usage, fps, etc.) is when you realize it indeed matters on the equation.

The same applies to PCIe bandwidth too. On some very specific software, particularly on rFactor2, R3E, and one of the Wolfeinstein games, anything below PCIe 2.0 result in terrible performance, while seem did not matter at all for AC.

Memory speed helps massively with cpu bound situations. It basically means the cpu can offset and load information faster from the memory modules. In situations where the problem is gpu it won't be very helpful. In poorly optimized games for multiple threads (like AC) memory speed will be very useful. People for years discounted memory speed for some reason and it was around 2015 that the benefits began to be talked about again. First ones I heard mention this again was Digital Foundry in their review of the witcher 3 since their NPC AI runs through the CPU. In Novigrod the difference was incredible.

Have been playing with the settings a bit and have noticed that when the CPU is not overly stressed
the FPS is pretty much the same at 2666 as it is 3200. When the CPU stress is most noticed, you can
really see the advantage of faster ram and gain up to 15 FPS maybe more in similar situations.
This is just a snap shot of an observation, so may be flawed, at the moment it is what my system is
showing me.:geek:
It sort of agrees with some of the previous comments.:)

Since everyone here are expert. i am trying to oc my ram too, i have a gigabyte z97 mb with 16 g ram. at cpu-z i get 2 values. the nb freq is 3900mhz and my dram was 699 and then i get into bios and choose a profile and now is 799mhz. below that says fsb:Dram 1:6. is that correct. did i choose something wrong?

Since everyone here are expert. i am trying to oc my ram too, i have a gigabyte z97 mb with 16 g ram. at cpu-z i get 2 values. the nb freq is 3900mhz and my dram was 699 and then i get into bios and choose a profile and now is 799mhz. below that says fsb:Dram 1:6. is that correct. did i choose something wrong?

I think it is better to you watch few videos on YouTube about this theme "how to"... Search for "your memory type" and "overclock" ... It is a little extensive explanation for I put all here in one post. I had to watch dozens of videos. My first step was to know benchmark my memory speed... Then I jumped to overclock part..

Good luck

After almost 2 months testing possibilities to put my Assetto Corsa running at VR 90fps over online sessions (such as Nordschleife Tourist with 32 connected players) I think I finally found the solution.

Recap, my setup is:
i7 7700 + 16gb DDR4 Hyperx Fury 2133mhz + RTX 2070 + 1tb HDD + Lenovo Explorer + Win10

Andrew_WOT recommend me to use the AC Shaders Patch tweaks and it did a GREAT improvement performance but not solved 100%. (thank you Andrew for the tips)
It has improved the FPS from AVG 62 to 64, it is 3,23%

So I started looking for the reason I'm having CPU Bound and I discovered a simple and basic fact: RAM memory has the responsibility to provide the communication with CPU and GPU. If you are using a slow memory kit, it will affect dramatically your FPS performance on the games.

Also I noticed there is a lot of people running good memory kit but without BIOS tweaks such XMP profiles to enjoy full speed of the equipment.

My SOLUTION:

I did a memory overclock, from 2133mhz to 3066mhz.

The bandwidth speed was improved in +-40% and the latency was reduced in +-11% from 57.4ns to 50.2ns (latency also influences a lot in games) HUGE IMPROVEMENT HERE.
(It is stable with more than 5 hours of stress tests with Aida64 and MemTest86)
check the pics

*** I removed the part what I was saying about to turn Hyperthread OFF to improve the performance. After few more tests I noticed I was wrong, thanx for the people here who has give the same feedback.***

This moment your AC fps have improved a lot.
Assetto Corsa is running with 90fps locked 90% of the time over online sessions even on Nordschleife Tourist with 32 connected drivers!

A in game benchmark on post No. 18 bellow this

View attachment 292826

I have almost the exact same system as yours, except for a) the videocard (Mine is a GTX 1660ti - not too far off of yours) and (possibly) the Ram speed, and am getting nowhere near the performance that you report. (See my thread)

So, according to your analysis, my problem must simply be slow Ram, right? If so, how do I check on the current speed of my Ram so that I can determine whether I should upgrade? (Please note that I'm not an overclocker and don't really want to go down that road...) Also, do motherboards limit the speed of Ram they accept?

Thanks!

I have almost the exact same system as yours, except for a) the videocard (Mine is a GTX 1660ti - not too far off of yours) and (possibly) the Ram speed, and am getting nowhere near the performance that you report. (See my thread)

So, according to your analysis, my problem must simply be slow Ram, right? If so, how do I check on the current speed of my Ram so that I can determine whether I should upgrade? (Please note that I'm not an overclocker and don't really want to go down that road...) Also, do motherboards limit the speed of Ram they accept?

Thanks!

To check your Ram speed I recommend the Aida64.
That what I used. In my first post there is few screenshots with the screen of Aida64 benchmarks.
There is others softwares similar to Aida64 too..

Just checked my Ram speed after googling for how to do it. It's 2400 - not to far from yours (before you overclocked it).

I don't understand why my VR performance is much worse than yours when my components are just a bit lower grade. I can understand a slight difference, but I'm nowhere near 90 FPS - I'm at more like half that! And that's with in game graphic settings all at either OFF or MINIMAL.

So what are your graphics settings in AC when you're getting that 90FPS?

Just checked my Ram speed after googling for how to do it. It's 2400 - not to far from yours (before you overclocked it).

I don't understand why my VR performance is much worse than yours when my components are just a bit lower grade. I can understand a slight difference, but I'm nowhere near 90 FPS - I'm at more like half that! And that's with in game graphic settings all at either OFF or MINIMAL.

So what are your graphics settings in AC when you're getting that 90FPS?
Ok,

2400mhz is your Ram clock.
You should also know the speed and latency with a benchmark software like Aida64.

After this,
Let start with a correct diagnosis answering this:
Are you having CPU Bound or GPU bound?

With Windows Mixed Reality Reprojection, on the top left corner shows a Green Dot light when you are running on 90fps, if it's not, it will display a Light Blue Dot or Dark Blue Dot.

Light blue Dot = CPU Bound
Dark Blue Dot = GPU Bound

Mine case I was having CPU Bound what I fixed increasing the DDR4 speed.

So, what's your diagnosis?
If is CPU Bound, we can try an memory overclock. (Before think to buy new memory kit what I think it is not necessary)
If is GPU bound we can try to put some graphics settings on low and reduce the supersampling if you are using.

Ok,

2400mhz is your Ram clock.
You should also know the speed and latency with a benchmark software like Aida64.

After this,
Let start with a correct diagnosis answering this:
Are you having CPU Bound or GPU bound?

With Windows Mixed Reality Reprojection, on the top left corner shows a Green Dot light when you are running on 90fps, if it's not, it will display a Light Blue Dot or Dark Blue Dot.

Light blue Dot = CPU Bound
Dark Blue Dot = GPU Bound

Mine case I was having CPU Bound what I fixed increasing the DDR4 speed.

So, what's your diagnosis?
If is CPU Bound, we can try an memory overclock. (Before think to buy new memory kit what I think it is not necessary)
If is GPU bound we can try to put some graphics settings on low and reduce the supersampling if you are using.

OK - Here's my diagnosis. I downloaded Aida64. If I'm reading these benchmarking numbers right, I get:

Memory Read: 33795 MB/s
Memory Write: 34618 MB/s
Memory Copy: 30442 MB/s
Memory Latency: 58.2

As far as the colored dot in Windows Mixed Reality, first of all it is very difficult to see. But what I can manage to make out, it's NEVER green, almost always blue (can't tell between dark and light blue) and sometimes red.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back