Vote Time: RD Formula One Driver of the Year Awards

I WAS GOING TO SAY GUTIERREZ (for the lols), but what Grosjean did this season is outstanding. I obviously was going to vote for Max or Daniel, but I want to go outside the box with this one.
I was waffling between Grosjean and Alonso, as both were in severely under-performing rides but scored quite effectively. In relation to their teammate, they did exceptional. Verstappen is too easy a pick, and when you look at the firs 4 races with Toro Rosso, he was level with Sainz. And I'd put him level with Ricciardo the rest of the season. Clearly the upgrade in car affected his results positively.

@tigermilk: I agree with you about the outstanding performances of Grosjean and Alonso. Both driving, like you wrote, under performing cars. Grosjean also had some hairy moments with his unreliable Haas.
Carlos is one of the most underrated drivers at the paddock. Last year i had to defend him many times against my fellow Dutchmen, who only wanted to look at Max with orange glasses. Carlos should drive a much better car. Sadly he is a bit stuck in this STR. It will be difficult to go to another team now. Or Daniel/Max should switch teams.

Carlos deserves a better seat.

And the rain in Brasil Max blow out everybody did a very good Job like the days of Senna and Schumacher..

The problem with that race for me, is that 20 of the drivers seemingly forgot how to drive in the rain. Verstappen and Ocon remembered.
While the two of them, were clearly better than the rest during the Brazilian GP, what they did, was driving like you learn very early in your racing career. Water on rubbered tarmac is more slippery than tarmac that isn't rubbered. When there are banking, water flows to the bottom. Apply those basic knowledges, and you will know where the fastest lines are.
To see Verstappen and Ocon drive like all racing driver with a minimum of wet racing skill wasn't a wow-performance. To see 20 of the 22 "best" drivers in the world, being unable to do what most racing drivers know, was extremely disappointing.

When the media asked Max why he was that quick in the rain in Brazil he answered: "Because i am Dutch!"

Now a lot of people do not understand what he meant with that.
It is very simple: In the junior classes in the Netherlands kids use slicks, even when it rains. Therefore they learn where they have to drive in the rain. Where are the grip levels high. This lesson took Max with him. AND he has in father Jos Verstappen a master teacher in driving in wet conditions.

In Brazil people from the wall shouted to their drivers: COPY MAX!!

Only Ocon and Verstappen were driving different lines...

The problem with that race for me, is that 20 of the drivers seemingly forgot how to drive in the rain. Verstappen and Ocon remembered.
While the two of them, were clearly better than the rest during the Brazilian GP, what they did, was driving like you learn very early in your racing career. Water on rubbered tarmac is more slippery than tarmac that isn't rubbered. When there are banking, water flows to the bottom. Apply those basic knowledges, and you will know where the fastest lines are.
To see Verstappen and Ocon drive like all racing driver with a minimum of wet racing skill wasn't a wow-performance. To see 20 of the 22 "best" drivers in the world, being unable to do what most racing drivers know, was extremely disappointing.
Totally agree, it never ceases to amaze me that "the worlds best race drivers" can't seem to drive in the wet, the amount of laps run behind the safety car is depressing just because of a little rain, these guys are the "alleged" top echelon drivers of motor sport, so let them race, wet or dry.

Oh, and Perelli need to rethink their tyres, if the drivers had a half decent wet tyre, they could race harder with more confidence that they aren't going to spear off the moment they hit some water on track.
Being an Aussie I have to go for Daniel Ricciardo, he had a few bad calls from the pit wall which cost him a few podiums, which gifted Max a higher finishing position. But all in all Dan finishing 3rd in the WDC says alot, especially with the RB's being well off the pace of the Mercs I think they, RB, did well, Max included.

Personally I'd like to see all the drivers take the same car out for some laps, then we would really know who is the quickest, I'm guessing it wouldn't be Hamilton.

Last edited:
Totally agree, it never ceases to amaze me that "the worlds best race drivers" can't seem to drive in the wet, the amount of laps run behind the safety car is depressing just because of a little rain, these guys are the "alleged" top echelon drivers of motor sport, so let them race, wet or dry.

Oh, and Perelli need to rethink their tyres, if the drivers had a half decent wet tyre, they could race harder with more confidence that they aren't going to spear off the moment they hit some water on track.
Being an Aussie I have to go for Daniel Ricciardo, he had a few bad calls from the pit wall which cost him a few podiums, which gifted Max a higher finishing position. But all in all Dan finishing 3rd in the WDC says alot, especially with the RB's being well off the pace of the Mercs I think they, RB, did well, Max included.

Personally I'd like to see all the drivers take the same car out for some laps, then we would really know who is the quickest, I'm guessing it wouldn't be Hamilton.
I must say I agree with is. They are the best drivers in the world but seem to not be able to handle wet conditions.

I voted for Max as he is the "stand out" driver this year and there can't be much doubt about that. Yes, Hamilton is still the quickest guy and Ricciardo drove a better season but I don't think that is what this vote is about.

Lewis Hamilton For me! As a loyal fan i have to respect my driver. Lewis's focus and determination showed the world hes still unbeatable at his best and still hungry for the title, as a driver. Now that Rosberg shocked the F1 community and myself i am not sure who can fill up his shoes and it is quite a big shoe to fill as well. In my opinion Pascal Wehrlein is top notch driver and the most experience with the 2017 tyres. And he is very familiar with the Mercedes Program as well.

Last edited:
Let me throw some good old statistics into the mix

Races
Ricciardo 11-6 Verstappen

Qualifying
Ricciardo 11-6 Verstappen

Podiums
Ricciardo 8-7 Verstappen

This should be about current form, not future potential. It's quite clear to see that Ricciardo has outperformed Verstappen this season
That does not mean Ricciardo is the more exciting driver. When Max outperformed Ricciardo, he did it in style.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back