Vintage Racing Enthusiast Advice

Hey yall.

I have just gotten fully into sim racing for the first time this year. I grew up going to 1960s club races with my Dad (he flagged and later on drove), and fell in love with that era of racing, when the drivers had real balls and actually shifted and worked to drive the cars.

Just love that era, and want to build most of my sim racing leagues, races and cars around the the pre-1980s time period.

Would be SO COOL to do leagues that recreate the 67 Grand Prix season with the old tracks and all the rest.

Note that i do know that there is vintage sim racing sub-culture still out there around the game Grand Prix Legends, but i don't want to use such an old game with its poor graphics and feedback. However, i am sure the guys over there would know where to steer me for the vintage sim racing enthusiasts, so will ask over there also.

With that in mind, what are the right places to go, etc to get find others that are focused on vintage sim racing? What are the best vintage sim racing forums and leagues. Where are the portals into the vintage sim racing sub-culture?

Thanks!
Randy
:)

On that note, what about Caterham leagues? Like a sim racing version of the Caterham Academy, where a group of drivers drive a whole season using the same Caterhams.

As far as i can tell, iRacing only has the Lotus 49 for vintage cars. I assume that there are Lotus 49 seasons or some such in iRacing, just getting into all of this, a beginner for sure

There are several vintage mods for rF2. Legends of 67 simulates the 67 F1 season. Some of the Lo67 cars are better modeled than others (4 stars on Steam workshop). There's also the 79 F1 mod which I believe is 5 stars on Steam workshop. There's a 50's sports car mod, 4 stars. The 50's sports cars are all derived from the cobra fitted with different noses. Available historic tracks include: Le Mans, Monza (with and without oval), Monaco, Spa, Longford, East London, Rouen, Hockenheim, Jarama, Paul Ricard, and a few others I don't recall. A available on Steam Workshop.

AMS 2 has some vintage stuff. Lotus 49, Brabham, and 2 generic cars from 68 F1. Period tracks are Kyalami and Imola. Several others can pass for 60's tracks. AMS2 plans several more historic tracks. There's also several mid 70's cars: lotus 72e, McLaren, Brabham, and 2 generics. No modding for AMS2 so stuck with what developer provides.

There are also some vintage mods for AC along with a fair number of period tracks.

Thanks
So far have only played AC, so don't know yet about AMS2, rFactor2, etc. I have found already almost all you mentioned above in AC, including the 70s Can-am cars.

What i was looking for the most though is where do the people that want to race in vintage leagues and using vintage cars/tracks go? What websites cater to this? What leagues? Forums? Where do i find the vintage sim racing scene?

Thanks
Randy
:)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back