View realism

Background; I am a fairly competent IRL track driver. I've driven cars ranging from 60s sportscars and saloon cars, MX5 to a Porsche around the track. I can easily get up to speed and feel very confident. I drive within a limit because generally, I don't want to trash my own car.

Coming to sim racing from a long time away — I followed what seems to be the "correct" course of action — namely cockpit view with a calculated FOV. I feel quite confined, and I don't feel smooth or competent.

I was getting on well enough until a few days ago I experimented with a few different views and FOV. This was triggered after driving the Lexus in ACC, which has significantly better side view over the 911 I was driving before. All of a sudden I was hitting tight apexes because I could see them properly.

I ended up with the bonnet view and a slightly wider, but not silly wide, FOV. All of a sudden my driving is much more consistent, I can judge tight corners and speed better. I am judging corner entry speed better and getting the car where it should be on the track.

So whilst a calculated FOV might be "correct" — I reckon placing the car is a bit more realistic with a wider view. In truth when driving IRL you don't see the cockpit like you do in cockpit view - in fact your brain sort of removes all that and all you see is a great view of the track. You see apexes because you can move your eyes and your head to look for them.

TDLR; I reckon cockpit view is a lot less realistic than it appears to be, and that a wider unobstructed view is quite a bit more realistic than it's "arcade" reputation gives.

It is a trade-off. Ideally, the sense of speed is ideal and you can see what you need to in order to be on line consistently but many sim racers use the real FOV as a guide because the monitor can't cover the 210 degrees of vision you get in a car without even moving your head. They then often widen from there to what they can cope with. There is a reason why people swear by triples and by VR and to a lesser extent TrackIR or even just software look to apex. They all get you varying degrees of vision improvement and correct FOV at the same time.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 335 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 227 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 171 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 290 13.4%