PC1 Video settings for AMD GPU user

Cote Dazur

SIM Addict
I would be grateful if someone who has spent some time optimizing his settings with performance in mind (fps) on an AMD card, as it seems NVidia is in a better situation at this point in time, would share its findings. Share in PM please if you don't feel like justifying anything in a public thread, I will not comment.
I have a R9 270 X, Would like to have a nice compromise favoring FPS without loosing all PCars graphic appeal. I have to admit that having to restart the game everytime you change something in the graphics is a major PITA.:rolleyes:
To the WMD/Pcars fans, I don't care if it is AMD fault if it does not work so well, my GPU works well with the other SIM(s) I play, this situation is mostly damaging to PCars, as it is not good enough that I have any inclination to change my GPU brand.

I have been using a powercolor devil 270x, but today 13/05/15 I have replaced it with a gigabyte G1 gaming GTX 970, the performance is way way better, all settings high/ultra and capped at a solid 60fps. When using the R9 270x I got 60fps by setting everything to mid and environment to low. My CPU is amd fx 6300 at 4.51GHZ so as not to bottleneck the GPU, 16 gig ram. Hope this is some use to you

The current issue is actually an AMD problem, the current driver creates too much CPU overhead so they will have to fix it. The Windows 10 drivers actually provide up to 30 more fps, since the issue is mostly fixed there, but not optimized yet. AMD is expected to release a new driver for it soon.
Also some tracks, weather conditions and the amount of AI contribute to drops in FPS, for example, I have a 290X, with my current settings I run around 140 fps, when you add AI (35 AI) and weather to that mix I get 40 fps on the pit straight and around 60 on the rest of the track.

This might help you on your way:
Performance Issues:
Stuttering: If you happen to get a stuttering game-play, it might be caused because of the following:

• CPU Bottleneck: Project CARS Physics is quite heavy, even if you have a newish CPU, you might be limited here. Also if your GPU is powerful enough, it will produce a high number of frames and the CPU must cope with that.
    • Limiting the frame rate per second is a valid option. You can use and external tool (such as MSI Afterburner) or -fpscap 60 (60 as normal refresh rate for the screen) Launch Option within the game's properties in steam.
    • Closing background programs that might consume extra CPU power should help also.
  • There's also a known issue with certain Xbox controllers on where force feedback causes stuttering. Try reducing FFB to 0% to reduce stutters.
  • Use Render Frames Ahead = 2 or 3 at least
  • Very high graphics setting: It is normal that users try to bump up everything to ULTTRA on the first day. Project CARS is pretty much next-gen everywhere so unless you REALLY have a powerful system, don't do that! First try default graphics settings. Don't be affraid, it looks gorgeous either way! Don't believe me, watch it here in AdrianF1's own video
  • AMD CrossFire: AMD is actively working closely with Slightly Mad Studios to enhance the overall performance of Project CARS in ADM GPUs. Up until Driver 14.xx, Crossfire didn't worked quite well. This was addressed in 15.3 and 15.4 Drivers. If you are a AMD GPU user, stick to 15.3/15.4 Drivers
  • Also for AMD I've been pointed out that rising the power limit might ONLY without overclocking might help with performance.

My Framerate is low / I can not hit constant 60 fps
: Obtaining a high and constant framerate is VERY important in a racing game. For some users more than others. Some users might be using 120hz or 144hz monitor panels, on which higher frame rate is even more important.

• Again, Project CARS is very next-gen. Start with LOW settings, and try to raise them up little buy little.
  • Some settings have major impact, while some others not as much (described a few lines below)
  • Don't push antialiasing. Sometimes while driving you don't "need" as much AA since everything is moving so fast!
  • When racing in Rain, keep in mind that Reflections and Particles takes a major role in performance.

Graphics Setting Explanation and Impact - Suggested Setting

Resolution: Self Explanatory - Normally as high as you can go
smile.png

Windowed:
Self Explanatory - Normally NO
Texture Resolution: Self Explanatory - Keep them as HIGH - This is the last I would touch
Texture Filtering: Anisotropic Filtering - 8x or 16x for Mid-end/High-end system is fine.
V-SYNC:
Synchronizes frames output to your monitor refresh rate. Looks smoother, increase input lag - Driving with Wheel, I would suggest off. Using Keyboard or GamePad, try V-SYNC ON
Anti-Aliasing: Increases image quality by reducing aliased lines - Settings are: MSAA, HIGH, DS2M, DS2X, DS4X, DS6X and DS9X. Prefer MSAA, HIGH and DS2M methods as those are specifically built and optimized. Start with MSAA even for High end system, tune up gradually.
FXAA: different Anti Aliasing Method - It might introduce some Image Blurring. You might combine this with AA (example: AA= HIGH/ FXAA=LOW; Also you can use AA=NONE/FXAA=LOW) Using only FXAA LOW without Anti-Aliasing is very cool for Low/Mid end systems
SMAA: another AA method. FXAA and SMAA can NOT be combined. Suggested OFF to start.
Reflections: Self Explanatory - This is one of the overkill features. It looks nice indeed, but beware of performance!. Settings are off,low, med, high, ultra. Start with LOW even on high end system, If you drive Cockpit or bumper cam, you will *almost* not notice any graphical difference when keeping this to LOW.
Environment Map: Related to reflections. - Same statement as before applies. Start with LOW
Car Detail: Self Explanatory - Low/Medium/High/Ultra. Start with Medium/High. Only use ULTRA if you have very high-end system!
Track Detail: Same as before - I start HIGH with this one, use ULTRA only if you see popping effects. Otherwise keep it at Med/High
Shadow Detail: Self Explanatory. Affects performance very much. Start with Low/Medium
Motion Blur: Self Explanatory - Use it if you like it. Low/Med/High equals the quality of the blur, not the ammount applied!
Render Frames Ahead: Keeps a buffer of rendered frames for smoothness. Use 1 to reduce input lag/visual lag only on high end systems. Default value of 2 is OK for most cases.
Detailed Grass: Self Explanatory - Better grass - Performance impact is high on this setting. I use either LOW or OFF. Keep in mind that if you use motion blur, then grass will look almost the same
smile.png

Particle Level: Self Explanatory - Normally doesn't affects too much the performance since it only works when you see smoke, dirt, etc. Medium for start is fine
Particle Density: Same as before Medium
Streched Headlight Reflections: Reflections of head and taillights in the asphalt. Looks Awesome! Specially in wet conditions. Performance impact is medium. Try with this setting ON as first

This is written by Aldo Zampatti at the official forums.

This may be a temporary fix but i switched from the Omega Driver to 15.4 driver (2xVapor X R9290 non X) This driver was made for GTA 5 and also Dirt Rally and I must say night and day . I'm still playing around with visual settings at the moment my setting are mostly on and grass off , shadow ultra ,car reflections medium , bloom on . Anyway what im saying is with this driver it is running smoothly . Of course reducing any of the effects will give you better FPS so just play with the settings as I did . 15.4 driver is much better than the Omega driver.

The current issue is actually an AMD problem, the current driver creates too much CPU overhead so they will have to fix it. The Windows 10 drivers actually provide up to 30 more fps, since the issue is mostly fixed there, but not optimized yet. AMD is expected to release a new driver for it soon.
There are specific Windows 10 drivers? I could only find 8.1 drivers for my W10-64 setup.

EDIT: AMD-Catalyst-15.4Beta-64Bit-Win8.1-Apr9 is the best available and doesn't assist framerates at all on my Radeon card compared to Windows 7.

There are specific Windows 10 drivers? I could only find 8.1 drivers for my W10-64 setup.

EDIT: AMD-Catalyst-15.4Beta-64Bit-Win8.1-Apr9 is the best available and doesn't assist framerates at all on my Radeon card compared to Windows 7.
You can only get the drivers via Windows update on a Windows 10 system.

Edit: Right from the AMD website:

"Q: Which graphics driver should I use for my AMD Radeon™ GPU or AMD APU?

A: Microsoft has indicated that updated device drivers are not required at this time, as existing device drivers are compatible with the Windows® 10 technical preview. AMD Radeon™ graphics and accelerated processing unit customers should use the latest available drivers from Windows Update until official Windows 10 driver support is posted on amd.com at a later date." "

You should uninstall the 15.4 beta drivers, as they will decrease your performance.

From what I've read online it's not a driver issue at all - the game uses PhysX for it's physics, which doesn't run on AMD cards.
The game doesn't use PhysX, all physics are ran on the CPU. This is done because the consoles run AMD hardware too. It simply is a CPU overhead issue.

Nvidia have said that the game uses PhysX for particle modeling, and a couple other Nvidia products for other bits and pieces. http://physxinfo.com/news/11822/sta...clude-gpu-accelerated-physx-and-apex-effects/

On very high or ultra settings I get very poor FPS, considering my hardware (4GB 290X OC, i5@4.6GHz, 16GB RAM), it should play this easily near enough full settings. I can run literally any game, including 'next-gen' stuff like Advanced Warfare and GTAV completely maxed out and get a solid 60fps, but this runs at around 30 even on high settings. The massive amount of Nvidia advertising makes me question about SMS's motives (again).

Nvidia have said that the game uses PhysX for particle modeling, and a couple other Nvidia products for other bits and pieces. http://physxinfo.com/news/11822/sta...clude-gpu-accelerated-physx-and-apex-effects/

On very high or ultra settings I get very poor FPS, considering my hardware (4GB 290X OC, i5@4.6GHz, 16GB RAM), it should play this easily near enough full settings. I can run literally any game, including 'next-gen' stuff like Advanced Warfare and GTAV completely maxed out and get a solid 60fps, but this runs at around 30 even on high settings. The massive amount of Nvidia advertising makes me question about SMS's motives (again).
I am running on modded Windows 10 drivers, my gains were about 30 fps. My setup is almost identical to yours.

I'm on Windows 7, does this have anything to do with it do you think?
Yep, like I said, the current Windows 7 and 8 drivers have a CPU overhead issue. In the Windows 10 drivers, this is partly fixed. I run Windows 7 aswell, but I installed modded Windows 10 drivers to get partly around the problem, but as they are modded drivers, I won't recommend it.
New drivers should be released in the coming week by AMD for pCars.

PhysX is still running on the cpu. If you enable the physX on screen display in 3D settings > Show PhysX visual indicator you will see that it's running on the cpu even after making the gpu the main PhysX processor.

My opinion on the game is that it's way too heavy on the cpu when comparing it to Assetto Corsa.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 71 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 139 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 265 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 380 39.7%