Video of the Day: A lap around the Berlin ePrix track

The-circuit-layout-for-the-2015-DHL-Formula-E-Berlin-ePrix.jpg

Yesterday we finally saw what
Berlin’s Formula E track will look like when the series arrive there in May, and now thanks to Formula E’s official YouTube channel we get a rough idea of how it’ll be to drive around.

Of course with three months still left until the race, there’s no infrastructure set up on the “Apron” of Berlin’s closed Tempelhof airport, but for now the BMW i8 (the series’ safety car) navigating the cone-marked layout will have to do. And already it seems as if the broken up airport tarmac surface could be very bumpy and slippery for the Formula E cars, which already have skinny grooved tyres and regularly slide on more normal street circuits. It’s possible with this layout that there are a couple of double-apex corners as well, and not being on public roads means it mostly breaks from the need for chicanes.

Tickets are now on sale for the inaugural Berlin ePrix, which will be held on May 23rd.

Watch the video here in RaceDepartment's video gallery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aprreciate the article, but:
Is this a joke? This looks like my local Autoslalom track meeting.
It's much too narrow for two wide racing and pylons as track markers? Really?

EdiT: Just reread the article and the pylons are temporary and there will be real infrastructure in the future.

Crazy, i live 7 minutes by car from this airport and never heard of this :O_o:.
Will this be a temporary circuit or will it stay there the whole year?
Here's hoping it will be open to the public, seems like the perfect place for trackdays.

Crazy, i live 7 minutes by car from this airport and never heard of this :O_o:.
Will this be a temporary circuit or will it stay there the whole year?
Here's hoping it will be open to the public, seems like the perfect place for trackdays.

i doudt it will stay there after the event one principal of the Formula E championship is they are racing on temporary tracks and that all the sessions are on the same day so built the track, do the event and then remove eveything so it can be all done in 2 or 3 days max.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 325 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 224 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 217 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 282 13.4%