Video Compression programs?

K

Kyle Evers

• Kyle Evers

Anyone know of some good programs where I can compress a video file size from 1.22GB to about 950MB so I can upload it onto YouTube? I want to keep the same framerate and quality, just a little smaller file size.

• Kyle Evers

'Any Video Convertor

They have a free version - go for that. It;s kinda hidden away....

And 950MB? That will take a year. That's the size of a two hour long video.....

O.o The video is like 2m30s...

I made a video not too long ago and it was like 3m30s and the file size was about 2.02GB.

Virtualdub
and heres a guide to convert to 1280x720 HD for youtube.
http://fast-apex.com/hdvideos.html
Guide also contains links to the needed codecs.

Yeah, I have Virtual Dub. I watched a tutorial on YouTube on how to compress the size. I got it to 191MB but a little quality was lost, not much however. I'm uploading the video now, I'll post it when it's finished :D

• Kyle Evers

Of course now YouTube is being annoying and it won't upload :(

• Kyle Evers

Well no it gets about half way or so then it gets an error. If the resolution was too large it would be brought down to scale automatically anyway.

Hm.
I always upload 1280*720 to youtube. A movie of 1 minute is about 30MB when converted well.

Oh and I can upload to Youtube on 105KB/s which is my maximum upload (1mbit)

• Kyle Evers

That'd be a pretty low quality video. I have an 39MB version of the video I made but the quality is meh. It looks good to me at 191MB. But of course the original 1.22GB version was best.

Edit: YouTube is so stupid. I cannot upload anything. I tried multiple times and it isn't working. Guess I'll have to put the low quality version on Metacafe or something.

That'd be a pretty low quality video. I have an 39MB version of the video I made but the quality is meh. It looks good to me at 191MB. But of course the original 1.22GB version was best.

Edit: YouTube is so stupid. I cannot upload anything. I tried multiple times and it isn't working. Guess I'll have to put the low quality version on Metacafe or something.

You are not using the right codecs. A full 1080p 2hours movie is about 6gb when encoded in x264.

• Kyle Evers

You are not using the right codecs. A full 1080p 2hours movie is about 6gb when encoded in x264.

The video is in .avi. I converted it to .mpeg4 but the quality just completely got lost. Can anyone recommend a good program for conversion? I think converting it might make it work when uploading it, as .mpeg4 is a suggested codec by YouTube.

Virtualdub works fine for conversion. Make sure you have the xvid mpeg4 codec and the lame mp3 audio encoder installed.
Ive attached the settings I use for encoding from 1920x1200 fraps captured video to 1280x720. Just remove the .txt extension and load the processing setting from the file menu in vdub.

The original video is about 7.29GB compressed down to around 160MB.

When uploaded to youtube and processed you get the watch in HD option. Personally I think the quality is good. You have to expect some loss if compressing video.

http://www.youtube.com/user/UnrealRacing

There 3 vids there that will let you see the results

Ricky

Attachments

• 1280x720HD.vcf.txt
    5.5 KB · Views: 343
I think YouTube's limits are 10 minutes or 100Mb. Bram put me on to Blip.TV and there doesn't seem to be a limit there so I suggest trying that.

I must admit though that it does seem very large for a 3 minute video.

AVI is are lossless compression = HUGE file size and very "lossy" quality...I wish that there was a way to get FRAPS to out put to Mpeg 2 just so it would be easier to convert fromt there. Also, Sorenson Squeeze, is a good encoding/transcoding program for this type of this...I don't know the cost, but it works well in the workplace!

• Kyle Evers

When I upload to YouTube I convert to an AVI container with a mpeg4 codec with mp3 audio using 'Any Video Convertor'.

Works out fine.

Okay, I'll try it out. I think I've used AVC before, not sure.

• Kyle Evers

I converted it to MPEG-2 and uploaded and check out the terrible quality it is now.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0QGcqTPyOU[/ame]

YouTube gets the middle finger :D

YouTube do say to upload in a mpeg4 format.

And then of course wait until the back-end procerssing is finished.

Blip is much better. You can upload as an FLV, not lose too much quality and it's ready to watch straight away.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 75 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 111 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 151 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 288 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 418 39.9%