VIDEO CARD UPGRADE QUESTION

So, I have an MSI Gaming X 1080 (not ti) which I've been pretty happy with. But after rF2 "optimised" their premium tracks, I'm having trouble driving rF2 in VR, it only works with reduced detail, reduced AI, and during the day, in good weather.
Any attempt to use it like I want to; at night at LeMans, with high detail and 50 or 60 AI, maybe with random rain showers etc, results in the fps dropping down to 40, which of course is undriveable, the same thing at the Nordschleife, and even at simpler tracks like Bathhurst or Brands Hatch.
So, to the ten million dollar question: if I upgrade to an RTX 3080, will that solve my problem?
For the rest of the system I have an i9 9700 @ 4.6Ghz with 32 gigs of memory on a Z 390 Gigabyte Aorus MB, so there is no bottleneck elsewhere on the system.
I know rF2 is terribly optimized for VR, but is it possible to get it to run with all the goodies with a latest gen. card?
Before I drop €900-1000 on a 3080, I'd like to hear some opinions from rF2 VR uses with more modern vid. cards.
With my present 1080, I can run AMS2 or R3E adäquately, but they can't offer rF2 levels of FFB, driving physics, weather, and of course, immersion, for which, of course, rF2 just can't be beaten.

Last edited:
Nobody has any opinion on this? I'm very surprised, but as the RTX 3080 isn't available at the moment anyway, I have time to get the info from somewhere else...

Can't help you with the 3080 but I had a 3070 for a few days and "benched" it.
Maybe that's helpful?
3080 should score about 20-25% higher.

Here are the settings-Screenshots and results. I did one lap with ai controlling the car and using the afterburner benchmark tool.
CPU is locked at 4.9 ghz with 16gb ddr4 3466 cl17.

IMG_20201114_005251_598.jpg

IMG_20201114_005413_858.jpg
IMG_20201114_005357_259.jpg
IMG_20201114_005354_686.jpg

Can't help you with the 3080 but I had a 3070 for a few days and "benched" it.
Maybe that's helpful?
3080 should score about 20-25% higher.

Here are the settings-Screenshots and results. I did one lap with ai controlling the car and using the afterburner benchmark tool.
CPU is locked at 4.9 ghz with 16gb ddr4 3466 cl17.

View attachment 419587
View attachment 419588View attachment 419589View attachment 419590
Thank you for replying and posting the results of your test. Quite honestly, looking at your test results, I'm wondering if a 3079 wouldn't be enough, I could buy one now, who knows how long it's going to be till the 3080 us going to be available. I'll be getting an HP G2 soon, and my 1080 ain't gonna cut it. Decisions, Decisions

Thank you for replying and posting the results of your test. Quite honestly, looking at your test results, I'm wondering if a 3079 wouldn't be enough, I could buy one now, who knows how long it's going to be till the 3080 us going to be available. I'll be getting an HP G2 soon, and my 1080 ain't gonna cut it. Decisions, Decisions
Yep.. I know the struggle...
My pc needs to be very silent and the kfa2 3070 I tested was louder at 35% fan speed (only activates at 30%) than my 6 other fans at full speed... It also activated the fans every few minutes when watching YouTube and opening outlook for example.
At this noise level, super annoying!

So I want an Asus tuf or msi trio x. Though I don't like msi anymore after the gamers nexus video showing some morally questionable stuff against reviewers.

I now have a tuf 3070 ordered from Notebooksbilliger.de for 679€ while I also have a tuf 3080 "pre-ordered" from the 26th September for 839€.

Guess I'll keep the 3070 to finally put this odyssey at rest. My 1070 is crying for help since almost 2 years now when I upgraded from FullHD to 3440x1440...
I wanted to buy a 2070/80 super muktiple times but kept waiting for the 30xx series.
I can't wait until March...

Not a clever decision to get a 3070 with only 8gb right now for about 130€ "scarcity fee" but screw it...

I'll have 14 days to start a return process and then another 14 days to actually return it.
By then we should know more about the upcoming cards or the then hopefully already released 3060ti.
Or about my pre-ordered, probably never arriving 3080...

If I have to pay 130€ more than msrp/uvp, I'll use every minute of the EU law for returning too :cautious::poop:

Yeah, that's the only thing which bothers me a bit, that the 3970 only has 8gb VRAM. I'm wondering if I should play plan B, that is to use the 1080 with the HP G2 and hope it runs, and wait till the 3080 is available. How well do you think the HP G2 is going to run with my 1080? At the moment I have a Rift S, and as long as I reduce the detail a bit, it runs fine at 80fps in Steam VR.

1080 for the g2 won't work well I think..
I mean rift s is 2560x1440 while the g2 is 2x2160x2160.
That's a factor of 2.53x... On the rift cv1 you can adjust the super sampling via oculus tray tool.
Is this a thing with the rift s too?
Then I'd suggest you put it to 2.5 and see how it runs. Probably around 20-30 fps :ninja: :speechless:

Can you post your rf2 graphic settings and a session setting where you're running 80 fps okayish with the rift s?
When my 3070 arrives, I'll see how it runs when I use dsr to simulate the amount of pixels of the g2!
At some point when increasing resolution, the fps should drop significantly when maxing out the 8gb vram!

I didn't really think it would work either, I was fooling myself. I'll wait for the 3080, and then buy a G2. I must learn how to be more patient :)
I‘ve had a thought : I've looked at your settings for rF2 again ( BTW, I noticed that you're still using the old UI, may I ask why?)That's where I want to be in rF2. Assuming I do buy an HP G2, would a 3070 run well enough to achieve those settings? I'm really wondering whether or not a 3080 is worth €300 more. It's difficult to find comparison tests, they all use games that're of no interest to me, hardly anyone uses car Sims as test games, at least not rF2. Is there a game that is comparable to fF2 as far as the performance is concerned. I mean, a game where you can assume that if it runs well in the test, rF2 would too?
BTW, I see you're in HH, I'm just up the road from you in HL :)

Last edited:
I‘ve had a thought : I've looked at your settings for rF2 again ( BTW, I noticed that you're still using the old UI, may I ask why?)That's where I want to be in rF2. Assuming I do buy an HP G2, would a 3070 run well enough to achieve those settings? I'm really wondering whether or not a 3080 is worth €300 more. It's difficult to find comparison tests, they all use games that're of no interest to me, hardly anyone uses car Sims as test games, at least not rF2. Is there a game that is comparable to fF2 as far as the performance is concerned. I mean, a game where you can assume that if it runs well in the test, rF2 would too?
BTW, I see you're in HH, I'm just up the road from you in HL :)
G2 resolution is 1.9x more than my monitor and with my settings, I'm already only barely above 80 fps. The g2 is 90 hz native afaik?

With a 3070 you would definitely have to lower some settings...
But you can lower some of them without really seeing a difference I think. I mean I put everything to the maximum...

About old ui: I only drive a club race every few months here at rd. I didn't bother to update anything... Heard the new ui lacks some features. And since I'm only joining a server and select a car, I don't really car hehe.

Lübeck, nice! :)

I sadly don't know any similar game. Rf2 has such a massive variance in performance and a quirky engine. I wouldn't know anything that's similar, lol..

G2 resolution is 1.9x more than my monitor and with my settings, I'm already only barely above 80 fps. The g2 is 90 hz native afaik?

With a 3070 you would definitely have to lower some settings...
But you can lower some of them without really seeing a difference I think. I mean I put everything to the maximum...

About old ui: I only drive a club race every few months here at rd. I didn't bother to update anything... Heard the new ui lacks some features. And since I'm only joining a server and select a car, I don't really car hehe.

Lübeck, nice! :)

I sadly don't know any similar game. Rf2 has such a massive variance in performance and a quirky engine. I wouldn't know anything that's similar, lol..
Thanks for the info :thumbsup: I think I'll hold out for the 3080, I don't want to be buying a new video card too often, and I think that the 3080 should last a good while.
Mach's gut und bleib gesund :)

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back