Vettel & Webber Feud Could End In Tragedy

Former world champion Jacques Villeneuve has likened the current feud between Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber to the one which killed his racing driver father.The Red Bull duo brought simmering tensions to the boil at last weekend’s Malasysian Grand Prix when Vettel overtook Webber to win the race despite both drivers being instructed by their team to hold their positions.

Source: YallaF1

Villeneuve’s father, Gilles, was tragically killed in a 1982 accident while trying to beat the qualifying time of then Ferrari team-mate Didier Pironi.

The pair had fallen out at the previous Grand Prix at San Marino when Pironi defied team orders to pass Villeneuve on the final lap for victory – a situation Jacques believes Vettel and Webber would be wise to take heed of.

Villeneuve believes that Sebastian Vettel was ' just plain wrong" to go against the teams orders. He also claims Vettel's behaviour was "stupid" to go against the team's requests, which were to remain behind his 'teammate' .

Villeneuve told ESPN: ‘It’s easy to make excuses but in the end, Vettel’s got the win and the points. Mark has nothing. It was a deliberate decision by Vettel. The team give you the contract and pay you the money, and so you do what they want you to do. It’s very simple. Ignoring is just plain wrong. The best example is my father and Didier Pironi. Just look at the problems that caused. (Vettel’s) behaviour was just stupid. Such negative energy does not help the team. If he now needs help from Mark, he cannot be sure he will get it.’
View the Post on the Blog

I agree. Disobedience will cause rift. I hope Vettel learns his lesson.
Thing is, now they will both be pushing while ignoring orders too. It could end up with someone getting seriously injured or worse...

Hopefully the team will calm it down - they reportedly have. But Webber just will not trust Vettel again.

Re typo - ty I didn't even notice when I did this at 3 am *Doh*

I don't actually think this will cause injury, safety measures that are in place now will prevent that. The only problem I could possibly see occurring is a repeat of Turkey '10. I think Webber has been quite coy about this and people seem to forget he defied team orders at Silverstone a few years ago but the only difference is that Vettel held his position.

Despite the fact that I disagree with Vettel's behaviour, I do not see a remarkably higher risk with the two Red Bull drivers racing each other than with any other drivers.

Villeneuve is taking this completely out of context (as usual). Nowadays, there are no more qualifying tyres that last only one lap (his father crashed on the inlap), turbo engines that produce more power than the car can handle (especially in qualifying spec) and the cars are generally much, much safer.

Villeneuve is taking this completely out of context (as usual). Nowadays, there are no more qualifying tyres that last only one lap (his father crashed on the inlap), turbo engines that produce more power than the car can handle (especially in qualifying spec) and the cars are generally much, much safer.
Agree Markus. Don't let this thing go bigger then it already is. Just wait and see when the emotions are cooled of a bit. Both Webber and Vettel are professionals en lets hope they behave that way.

The race in which Villeneuve died was right the one after Pironi "betrayed" him. I don't think that those two weeks in between can really be considered to be the "problem" he's speaking about.

you know I just re-watched the interview of sky crew with Horner and Marko right after the podium.

Horner obviously was trying to avoid the subject by commenting "team this team that" and when asked about what Mark meant about "he (vettel) will always be protected" and he replied "I don't know what he meant by that"

that to me is the biggest lie ever, and even a biggest revelation of Vettel Racing Team, I mean RedBull Racing, what also kills me is Helmuts reply saying that "it was just too late to call once he got past mark" and he changes the subject by saying "Mercedes have a clear 1 and 2 driver" and then "we let our drivers race"..

hmmm trying to change the blame to saying RB is a free to race team. I lolled someone pop his second give him a working second eye so he can stop blindingly defend his grand son.

Neither Helmut, or Horner, or anyone had a clear answer, and this "behind close doors apology and talks" Is a bunch of bull:poop:. Ferrari came out loud and clear and took all heat when this happened in 2010, but it was halfway through the season with a down performing Felipe.

and to top it all, not only Vettel shows the kind of team RB is, but also the type of people they have as managing it and owning it, the owner itself which I could give three rats about his name, goes and "text message" Mark about the incident? are you serious? do Austrians have like no class? that is weaker than your gf texting you after she literally cheated on you. Yeah, is that bad, no backbone from the top to the bottom, not even for a simple talk, and then people wonder why the world hates RB, they just lowered themselves a lot more they could probably smell hell from where they are at.

RB will never be the same, and it will take some time for it to heal and not be remembered.

Second warning for attacking/insultin other members. Three strikes will be out.
Diego,I think I told you last year that smoking crack is bad for your health and it messes with your brain..so throw that crack pipe in the gutter and go draw a f1 painting instead..

the owner itself which I could give three rats about his name, goes and "text message" Mark about the incident? are you serious? do Austrians have like no class?

Well Webber is in Australia at the moment isn't he? And I guess Dietrich Mateschitz is on the other side of the world, so a text message is fine if you ask me. What else can he do? Send him a love letter or a box of chocolates? :)

Plus Dietrich Mateschitz and Mark Webber have a great relationship. He's probably the only reason why Webber is still there at Red Bull, as DM gives out the contracts doesnt he? I bet Horner, Newey and Vettel want Webber to go away and not disrupt their team like he has done for the last 3 years or so.

Well Webber is in Australia at the moment isn't he? And I guess Dietrich Mateschitz is on the other side of the world, so a text message is fine if you ask me. What else can he do? Send him a love letter or a box of chocolates? :)

Plus Dietrich Mateschitz and Mark Webber have a great relationship. He's probably the only reason why Webber is still there at Red Bull, as DM gives out the contracts doesnt he? I bet Horner, Newey and Vettel want Webber to go away and not disrupt their team like he has done for the last 3 years or so.

come on, if the guy has time for a quick visit in freezing cold Barcelona testing to show up for 5 minutes, he doesn't have time to have a personal visit to a guy who also helped RB win the WCs?

Mateschitz is probably Mark's strongest supporter in the team. From what I read he is no Vettel fanboy and much more of a "true sportsman".
At least I have seen nothing that would suggest otherwise.

Interesting... People saying Webber will not help Vettel when he needs it. Since the race finished, I have not been able to think of one instance where Webber has assisted Vettel in a race - so what has changed from before?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 346 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 240 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 238 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 299 13.4%