Vettel victorious over hampered Hamilton

hampered: "hinder or impede the movement or progress of..." Mercedes were set for a year of dominance again and Hamilton seemed to be the one who'd lead the Mercedes dominance this year. This didn't turn out to be true in Malaysia, therefore he was hampered. Similarly he could've stood a better chance of winning if it wasn't for Mercedes getting their strategy wrong. I'm no Hamilton fan I'm just pointing out Mercedes didn't get the strategy right at all and Ferrari did. Hope that further explains it for you @Leonardo Chaves @Ho3n3r

hampered: "hinder or impede the movement or progress of..." Mercedes were set for a year of dominance again and Hamilton seemed to be the one who'd lead the Mercedes dominance this year. This didn't turn out to be true in Malaysia, therefore he was hampered. Similarly he could've stood a better chance of winning if it wasn't for Mercedes getting their strategy wrong. I'm no Hamilton fan I'm just pointing out Mercedes didn't get the strategy right at all and Ferrari did. Hope that further explains it for you @Leonardo Chaves @Ho3n3r

Fair enough.

But Wolff said that they did not make any mistakes.

Just had a wonderful time watching the Malaysian GP, felt how awesome to see Seb, Kimi - and especially Ferrari, they are getting back on the race, they are in thirst of victory, and that thirst is relieving gradually

A very enjoyable race to watch. Great performance from Ferrari and a well deserved win for Vettel. I think the discussion about his talent is closed now. As Bram said a bit strange for a four time WC. Also the rookies performed very well. Sainz, Verstappen and Nasr did a hell of a job. Also a positive point is that Marussia Manor completed their first race. This kind of racing we, as fans, want to see. I only hope their will be more races like this

<mod edit: english only on the forms>

daumen3.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say they've got a good chance of winning in Singapore. But not much else from that.

I think a bit much has been made of Ferrari's pace in yesterday's race. Ferrari are very good at managing the temperature of their tyres when they were at critical levels, which is why they were suddenly faster than Mercedes on the long runs.

I don't expect this to continue because except for Singapore, no other race is as hot as Malaysia, so Mercedes will continue to trash the competition in anything that isn't 35C and 90% humidity, which is 17 out of the 19 races this year.

How do you know that was the deciding factor? And how can you be sure?

But Wolff said that they did not make any mistakes.
You're not wrong, but looking back, would you have pitted - and double stacked which cost Rosberg a lot more time to wait for a safe release - both cars during the safety car so early on in the race, 1st and 3rd down to 6th and 9th resulting in Vettel leading and saving on tyres even more so whilst Lewis and Nico had to fight through to the front by that point Seb was long gone. At least far enough ahead to lead until the end.

How do you know that was the deciding factor? And how can you be sure?
Because they were analysing it after the race on SkyF1. And even Ferrari stated that their car handles it's tyres in the hot temperatures better, which it does.

In the cooler weather races (races with a track temp of <60 degrees, which is every other race), Mercedes will be right back out to 30 second leads. Just watch.

You're not wrong, but looking back, would you have pitted - and double stacked which cost Rosberg a lot more time to wait for a safe release - both cars during the safety car so early on in the race, 1st and 3rd down to 6th and 9th resulting in Vettel leading and saving on tyres even more so whilst Lewis and Nico had to fight through to the front by that point Seb was long gone. At least far enough ahead to lead until the end.

I don't think I would have pitted so early, But I recon the car setup played a role in there decision to pit early. They might have known how long the tyres were going to last, & how fast their pace was & calculated that they had the pace to get to the front in no time at all. Wolff & company must have been having big discussions with the team this week so far as to where they lost the race.
The safety car helped the Ferrari to win the race IMOA. That helped them save the tyres for a longer first stint that they turned into a 2 stop.
Question is, will Ferrari be able to win another race this year? I reckon they could. The win has given them a huge boost, that they can win races. It makes this year in F1 very exciting. I just hope Kimi's luck turns & he ends up running with them in the front. Teams are going to work extra hard now that it was so close up front.

Someone please Nico that he can swallow now, we know it is hard but just swallow.
:D

That's a "flexible" interpretation of hampered, the only thing that "impeded" Hamilton today was tire deg which is a normal part of racing and part of the performance envelope of his car.

About strategy, you look at Vettel not pitting during the safety car taking those tires to 11 more laps after the release and making a 2 stop strategy work, seems like a no brainer right?

But given the tire deg that Mercedes had 2 stops was ranging from a hard proposition to impossible, when the safety car was called Mercedes had 7 lap old tires at that point and believed they couldn't go very far with them, which is why they pitted early.
People often think they know better but without access to the data you can't really say that, Hamilton's stint on mediums suggest he couldn't take them nearly as far as Seb.

I think a major issue for Mercedes was the fact Lewis did next to no running at all during FP1 and a minimal amount in FP2 (which is also what I think the OP meant as hampered in the post title). With the way Mercedes work with their drivers, they share the data between both garages and they'd have probably been able to push for a setup that would have comfortably given them victory.

Mercedes gapped Ferrari by 34.5 seconds after the safety car came in in Melbourne (an avg of 0.63 secs per lap) and in Malaysia Ferrari only managed to gap Mercedes by 8.5 seconds after the safety car returned to the pits (an avg of 0.17 secs per lap). Time will tell if Ferrari can mount a challenge. However, basing a conclusion on the two races that have run, I can't see Ferrari having any real hope of mounting one untill the end of the season, and I think if it does happen then it'll be down to Mercedes slipping up horribly on strategies, or the development of the Ferrari outpaces the development on the Mercedes in all departments (which I doubt it will).

• Deleted member 161052

Great win for Vettel plus a great podium jump made by him! (BTW I like podium jumps)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 120 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 163 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 307 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 440 39.6%