Vettel No Fan of new 'Shield' - 'Halo' Could Make a Comeback?

Just make this formerly known as a MAN's sport, remote controlled! Driver's sitting in the box, or even their home's with Playstation or Xbox-controller on their hand's. I can already see it, Alonso try to get going and yelling- THIS IS A PS2-controller!!!

The problem with the curvature isn't new at all. Does anyone know the Lancia Stratos? Back in the days, it was declined as one of the most dangerous cars in motorsports because of the curvature of its windscreen. So, the FIA should already have considered that problem with the "Shield". Tbh, this whole headprotection-thing becomes more and more stupid.

OT: IIRC even the original quattro was modified to have a more upstanding windscreen (on the shorter model) after drivers complaints.

Regarding distortion, surely something can be done about it. Even if if ends up flatter with an angle for the side surfaces (it would cause some dead-zones, though).

I get y
Well LMP cars are closed cockpit therefore there´s no confusion with normal vision.
But in a roadster this kind of curveture should be pretty bad
I get your point here but I think if the vision at the edges of the glass get distorted it's more of a design flaw. The "shield" Red Bull tested last year didn't have this problem. It's
entirely possible to build such things without getting any effects like that

How about red flagging the race when you are going to put a recovery vehicle in a critical runoff area in wet conditions?

The cars are fine as is!

Yep. The FIA frankly had blood on their hands over that Bianchi incident, and it was glossed over, swept under the rug. They seemingly got away with that calamity.

"Safer than it has ever been" Pfft, that's not what you said when Bianchi got ****ed.
I seriously doubt the halo or any other device that has been proposed would have saved Bianchi.
PS: I didn't feel at the time or since that it should have been red-flagged. It was just a freak accident...

Guys are always going to complain about anything which they view as an obstruction, relative to what was there prior.
Give it about three races and they'd all get used to it pretty quick.
It's very similar to the first time I sat in a Learjet 35 cockpit.
I was quite aware of the windshield. It was almost claustrophobic.
Three days later, I didn't even remember it was there.
You tend to adapt to that stuff fairly quickly.

Look at lmp cars, they got pretty much the exact same curveture...has not much to do with that
stop saying bullshit, totally not the same curvature.
Have you ever seen the size of a LMP1 windscreen, the aera ?
and you compare this to the aeroF1screen ?

did you read what Vettel said ?
could be useful because HE tested it.

that's a good point. may be Red Bull's aeroscreen concept had less curvature. shield was sexier tho.

DErQYGKXkAQsd-k.jpg:large

another solution would be a more bubbled design for the screen, may be seek more inspiration on jet fighters canopy solutions not necessarily closing it entirely

like one comment above said, "anything but the halo".
Put a roof on it and it is a helmet on wheels.

stop saying bullshit, totally not the same curvature.
Have you ever seen the size of a LMP1 windscreen, the aera ?
and you compare this to the aeroF1screen ?

did you read what Vettel said ?
could be useful because HE tested it.
Calm your tits man lol
I read it and I know it's not the exact curveture but it is a well known problem with curved glass and you can get rid of the problem if done properly.
No idea why you are so angry but i recommend, you stay chilled a bit more...

Fed up of all this safety stuff. The risks should be accepted. It's still safer than driving on the road when you compare stats.
I'm sorry to show my favourite picture once more today, but it sums it up.............
rULt7kP.jpg

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 90 7.6%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing