Vettel / Ferrari Escape Further Punishment from Baku Incident

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Vettel Investigation Closed - No Further Action.jpg

Sebastien Vettel and his Ferrari team have escaped further punishment for the contact between the German driver and his Mercedes rival Lewis Hamilton at the recent Azerbaijan Grand Prix.

Having served a 10 second penalty for the incident under safety car conditions during the race itself, it became clear that the governing body of Formula One wished to look at the incident in more detail following the conclusion of the last Grand Prix in Baku.

The contact between Hamilton and Vettel occurred following what the Ferrari driver considered to be a brake test under safety car conditions, resulting in Vettel making contact with the rear of the #44 AMG Mercedes car. Vettel would then vent his frustration with the British driver by pulling alongside the Mercedes and gesticulating at Hamilton, eventually making wheel to wheel contact before returning to his track position behind his championship rival.

At the time of the race Vettel refused to admit blame for the contact, however it appears that the four time World Champion has gone back on his original position and admitted fault for his behaviour with his main title rival.

In a statement to fans on his website, Vettel said:

"During the re-start lap, I got surprised by Lewis and ran into the back of his car. With hindsight, I don't believe he had any bad intentions. In the heat of the action I then overreacted, and therefore I want to apologise to Lewis directly, as well as to all the people who were watching the race. I realize that I was not setting a good example.

"I had no intention at anytime to put Lewis in danger, but I understand that I caused a dangerous situation. Therefore, I would like to apologise to the FIA. I accept and respect the decisions that were taken at today’s meeting in Paris, as well as the penalty imposed by the Stewards in Baku. I love this sport and I am determined to represent it in a way that can be an example for future generations."
Following a further investigation by the FIA it has been decided that no further action will be taken against either Vettel or the Scuderia Ferrari Formula One team.

The FIA's statement in full:

Following an incident at the recent Azerbaijan Grand Prix involving a collision between Car 5 (Sebastian Vettel) and Car 44 (Lewis Hamilton), Sebastian Vettel was today invited to attend a meeting at the FIA’s Paris headquarters. He was accompanied by his Team Principal Maurizio Arrivabene. He reviewed the incident together with a panel comprised of FIA Deputy President for Sport Graham Stoker, FIA General Secretary for Sport Peter Bayer, FIA Formula One World Championship Race Director Charlie Whiting and FIA Formula One World Championship Deputy Race Director and FIA Safety Director Laurent Mekies.

During the Azerbaijan Grand Prix, stewards officiating at the event issued a 10-second stop-and-go penalty to Sebastian Vettel, the most severe penalty immediately applicable before displaying a black flag notice to the driver. Sebastian Vettel also had three penalty points applied to his FIA Superlicence, taking his current total to nine.

However, while respecting the Stewards’ decision, the FIA remained deeply concerned by the wider implications of the incident, firstly through the impact such behaviour may have on fans and young competitors worldwide and secondly due to the damage such behaviour may cause to the FIA’s image and reputation of the sport.

Following detailed discussion and further examination of video and data evidence related to the incident, Sebastian Vettel admitted full responsibility.

Sebastian Vettel extended his sincere apologies to the FIA and the wider motor sport family. He additionally committed to devote personal time over the next 12 months to educational activities across a variety of FIA championships and events, including in the FIA Formula 2 Championship, the FIA Formula 3 European Championship, at an FIA Formula 4 Championship to be defined and at the FIA Stewards’ seminar. Due to this incident, President Jean Todt instructed that no road safety activities should be endorsed by Sebastian Vettel until the end of this year.

The FIA notes this commitment, the personal apology made by Sebastian Vettel and his pledge to make that apology public. The FIA also notes that Scuderia Ferrari is aligned with the values and objectives of the FIA.

In light of these developments, FIA President Jean Todt decided that on this occasion the matter should be closed.

Check out the Formula One sub forum and catch up on the big talking points. Drop us a message in the comments, create your own thread or join in with the existing discussion, all here at RaceDepartment!

Do you think the decision to not punish Vettel further was the correct one? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Thank god all this is over... Whilst I get it was a big story/incident, it was blown wayyy out of proportion... But the media will do that.

Last edited:
I didn't think he should've been further punished, they punished him in the race, it's done... move on.
But going through all this circus for a slap on the wrist looks pathetic.

Last edited:
Common peeps, during the race a stop&go was decided by the stewarts. I expected and wished for a black flag which didnt came. Vettel served his stop&go....incident happened, penalty served...we move on. But not the Fia as the are shocked by the public opinion and start to think afterwards.
Penalties should be given and served during a race...not afterwards.

Good, people get frustrated all the time, it's human nature, the FIA wanted F1 to keep a balance between human in machine, if they had banned him, then I guess basic human concepts of emotion and mistake aren't included. We have seen far more controversial stuff than a tire bump. And Vettel's apology (probably written by the team) I think is enough to excuse an action he was already penalized for. He was guilty of dangerous driving, and got penalized for it. The end.

Anyone bringing Thier sport into disrespect should be punished, stewards at the race can only give instant penalties. He never even admitted to it on the day, so a harsher punishment should be applied. The public outcry was mostly because he never said sorry for being a Dick
It's the Stewards job to recognize the incident and penalize accordingly ;)

can't be punished twice, already got penalty in race. if there had been anything more should have been done ONCE properly at race or after that race. SO go go go Seb! :cool: (pure media pressure caused FIA to react...:poop:)

In FIA should punished te stewards for their very poor deciscion in the race and Vettel and Ferrari then only should be warned for a lack of self consciousness. But once a penalty is given it should be done. Even if the punishment was not sufficiënt.

But compared to ASO and UCI, there isn't that much wrong with FIA. ;)

I have been taken points for less in the mini league in here!! Racedepartment should learn from the FIA and let the kids play free:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.2%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 146 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 277 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 402 40.0%