Vettel / Ferrari Escape Further Punishment from Baku Incident

The problem Stewards have at top events no matter what sport is the future of the sport, they give out harsh penalties" there wrong too soft there wrong" .Major incidents be it directly or indirectly FIA has the responsibility, They have to way up what's good for the sport, and the costs to revenues. Slapping vettle with 5 point deduction would still keep the championship alive. All this would of been sorted had he just said sorry to Hammers private or openly, Openly he would of got some respect, now he's just another driver your not sure what he's going to do,

It's simple:
  • He should have been DQ'ed during the race!
  • That didn't happen >>> so everybody move on with your lifes!
But the argument that F1 drivers should be role models for you and me on the public roads... that is the biggest bullcrap ever because they are paid to drive fast and make their employers (car & hardware tools manufactuers, soft drink producers etc.) shine to the viewing audience so we buy their products.

In 2016 NFL viewers dropped 8%. Pundant's say this was due to decisions of the NFL commission. Die-hard fans will continue to watch.
Time will only tell if the FIA's decisions were correct or not, at least from the standpoint of the average viewer. My personal concern is for the longevity of F1 (as a die-hard fan), as well as the safety of the drivers.

In 2016 NFL viewers dropped 8%. Pundant's say this was due to decisions of the NFL commission. Die-hard fans will continue to watch.
Time will only tell if the FIA's decisions were correct or not, at least from the standpoint of the average viewer. My personal concern is for the longevity of F1 (as a die-hard fan), as well as the safety of the drivers.
I don't think the Viewership will drop due to this "incident" In fact it might even increase the popularity as it has been overly publicised. Since 2014 onwards there has been a surprising influx in British formula 1 fans and Mercedes Fans. This is probably due to the wide coverage of Lewis and Nico's battle during this time. Rivalry usually breeds publicity for the drivers involved and in their home countries.

There also seems to be this weird thing about British people getting all patriotic when the opposition is German... Football is another example other than F1. I have also experienced this at first hand in many instances of gaming, British player is getting beat or is beating a player who is from Germany, Almost 9 times out of 10 that poor German person will get called a "Nazi" in game chat. Whilst I understand it does seem to be the latest generation (Past 10 years) that are guilty. Once again this is not every British person on a video game, But there are sadly people out there that do this.

You can also see examples of this on social media, Posts over the past couple of years for example at Spa 2014 there were numerous posts on social media saying "Ban the cheating German pr!ck" Instead of addressing Nico by his name, they rather his nationality. I think because F1 is such a worldwide sport you will get the countries of the drivers rooting for them, And with the increased coverage from Liberty Media who are doing an outstanding job I see the sport only getting more popular.

Regarding safety, I think the only thing currently risking a driver is the absence of head protection. Whilst serious injury will be inevitable with how fast they are going regarding how quickly they slow down, there is not much else to be done.

BTW The second paragraph was just an example of the point I was trying to make, If you would like me to remove it due to the use of the term "Nazi" Please let me know and I will do so. I'm not here to offend anyone, and I hope it does not offend anyone... but if you think I should I will remove it. Other than that have a nice day :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob
Allow me to talk out of both sides of my mouth for a moment... :D

1) Vettel better get his **** under control and not pull any stunts like this for a while. Whether Hamilton brake checked him or not, Vettel is ultimately responsible for how he chooses to react.

2) A little "black hat/white hat" drama is generally the best thing that can happen to a sport, and Formula 1 is no exception. The current crop of racers seem to be pretty flat to me from a personality perspective - it's not the most unpleasant thing as a fan to see a little fire out there now and again.

In FIA should punished te stewards for their very poor deciscion in the race and Vettel and Ferrari then only should be warned for a lack of self consciousness. But once a penalty is given it should be done. Even if the punishment was not sufficiënt.

But compared to ASO and UCI, there isn't that much wrong with FIA. ;)

The FIA should sit their lazy, rich asses in Paris and STFU. Then, Liberty should promptly fire half of them and tell the other half to stop the nonsense or NASCAR is going to be the new sanctioning body. That should get their attention.

I don't think the Viewership will drop due to this "incident" In fact it might even increase the popularity as it has been overly publicised. Since 2014 onwards there has been a surprising influx in British formula 1 fans and Mercedes Fans. This is probably due to the wide coverage of Lewis and Nico's battle during this time. Rivalry usually breeds publicity for the drivers involved and in their home countries.

There also seems to be this weird thing about British people getting all patriotic when the opposition is German... Football is another example other than F1. I have also experienced this at first hand in many instances of gaming, British player is getting beat or is beating a player who is from Germany, Almost 9 times out of 10 that poor German person will get called a "Nazi" in game chat. Whilst I understand it does seem to be the latest generation (Past 10 years) that are guilty. Once again this is not every British person on a video game, But there are sadly people out there that do this.

You can also see examples of this on social media, Posts over the past couple of years for example at Spa 2014 there were numerous posts on social media saying "Ban the cheating German pr!ck" Instead of addressing Nico by his name, they rather his nationality. I think because F1 is such a worldwide sport you will get the countries of the drivers rooting for them, And with the increased coverage from Liberty Media who are doing an outstanding job I see the sport only getting more popular.

Regarding safety, I think the only thing currently risking a driver is the absence of head protection. Whilst serious injury will be inevitable with how fast they are going regarding how quickly they slow down, there is not much else to be done.

BTW The second paragraph was just an example of the point I was trying to make, If you would like me to remove it due to the use of the term "Nazi" Please let me know and I will do so. I'm not here to offend anyone, and I hope it does not offend anyone... but if you think I should I will remove it. Other than that have a nice day :)

What a breath of fresh air. Nobody should be afraid of saying anything, as long as it's not a personal threat or a threat of violence. That includes racism, sexism, and gay hating. Also includes men hating, Trump hating, and German hating. There is no such thing as "hate speech"...only threats. In fact, if you ban the use of "Nazi" then you might be a Nazi. lol.

As an American, I see this British bias too. It's, quite frankly, all over F1. It doesn't bother me, because it's all fan driven and their country is so rich in open wheel racing. They are all based there, sorta. The problem is, the Italians (nobody rivals their passion) and the Germans (nobody rivals their attention to detail) don't get press coverage due to the language barrier and the British media (Sky is as bad as it gets) dominating the sport. Personally, I love to watch DTM, because of Varina :inlove: and their promo peices are very creative. Plus, it's great racing. I think Mattias Ekstrom is the best driver in the world right now. To me, the Germans have a wonderful sense of humor and aren't as repressed as the British (stiff upper lip and all). But the British are funny as hell at times, even though it's much more dry...Germans are so direct and a bit cruel, but it works for me.

All this is generalization I realize, but I'm trying to address your point in a decent way. Where I fault Germans is not being open enough. For instance, running as a "Nazi" in Germany or saying you are one...is illegal. lol. WTF? Do they not realize that's what the Nazi's did? Gotta love Merkel. lol. These days, they are self-flagellating, but they don't need to. When I was there in the late 80's, nobody in Germany would talk about it. I was just curious, but they were appalled I would ask. Dumb American...but German guilt, I guess. I took that as a good thing...unless you take it to censorship.

People don't realize how funny Vettel is...and he does it all the time. He's clever and smart in his humor too. He tells stories about human nature (when Rosberg said in the press conference "I really wish Ferrari were closer" Vettel chimed in "well, it's settled then...I'll see you in your garage in an hour and you will give me your blueprints" or similar). Two Germans (actually one German and one German from Monte Carlo), but Rosberg wasn't real. He was stunned actually. Vettel is not just quick on the track...I think he's the *real* spokesman for F1 right now. As for nations and what they like...this little spat and the FIA reaction? 90% of Americans think it's quaint, I'm sure. This is piker stuff. Try 230mph wheel banging and get back to me.

But I do disagree about head protection. It's over if they close the cockpit. Once again, Welcome to IndyCar Mr.Vettel.

Last edited:
I hope Seb wins the upcoming Grand Prix. Then mr Lauda is in danger of blowing up and mr Hamilton (and all the Vettel haters) have got something new to whine about.

Will leave this here...
https://www.redbull.com/au-en/daniel-ricciardo-f1-driver-diary-austria-2017-red-bull

"The big talking point out of the race was the incident with Lewis and Seb – told you I'd come back to that – and everyone seems to have an opinion about it. So here's mine. There's a view going around that Seb got off lightly with the penalty he got, but to me, that's only because he ended up beating Lewis, and that only happened because Lewis had his own issues with the headrest. If that hadn't happened and Lewis won, which he looked like was going to, and Seb was, say, fifth or something, then there wouldn't be as much noise about it. For me, a 10-second stop-go penalty, the one Seb got, is the biggest penalty you can have without being black-flagged. There's no bigger time penalty because you lose 20 seconds in the pits, and then you have to be stationary for 10 seconds. A light penalty in my view would have been if the stewards had added 10 seconds to his race time at the end, and I would have agreed that a penalty like that wouldn't have been enough. But I thought what they did was fine, and I don't think what he did was enough to be disqualified. So for me, it was the right penalty. What he did wasn't right, but it wasn't dangerous – we were doing 40km/h – so it was more silly than anything. It's done, and I don't think it should drag out any more. Somehow I reckon it might get discussed in Austria though!"

This. Should've been black flagged, he didnt. Hardly the first time the stewards/FIA didnt have the balls to do the right thing.
Did you guys read what Daniel Ricciardo, an actual F1 driver who was there and participated in that race, had to say on it? Please educate yourselves.

Ricciardo could have been an astronaut for all I care, its so well documented there cant be any shadow of doubt about the black flag.
Always funny how the internet experts know it all and of course better than the people who are actually involved. Why are you not an F1 official?

As a sort-of Vettel fan, I would have been pissed at a more severe punishment, but not as pissed as a double punishment would have made me. Not that it matters too much because I'm just an armchair warrior, but I think that his move was pants-on-head idiotic, no matter if intentional or not. You can't make those kinda calls livid with rage. Glad that Ricciardo weighed in on this, glad that it's closed for now (hopefully for good), here's hoping everyone cools their jets so we can enjoy those racing gods have it out. Without the shenanigans.

Always funny how the internet experts know it all and of course better than the people who are actually involved. Why are you not an F1 official?
You're a very condescending person. I have my opinion about it and I feel the stewards were wrong. I'm entitled to that opinion. Any intentional hitting another driver SHOULD be given a black flag, regardless whether it happened at 1 or 200mph. I see why the stewards decided no further action due to lack of evidence (Vettel flat out admitting of intentionally hitting him).
You're obviously entitled to disagree with me, but do it in a proper manner.

You're a very condescending person. I have my opinion about it and I feel the stewards were wrong. I'm entitled to that opinion. Any intentional hitting another driver SHOULD be given a black flag, regardless whether it happened at 1 or 200mph. I see why the stewards decided no further action due to lack of evidence (Vettel flat out admitting of intentionally hitting him).
You're obviously entitled to disagree with me, but do it in a proper manner.
And you seem a bit sensitive. Sorry if I have hurt your feelings. You are entitled to have an opinion, true, and so am I. And I still find it funny how people know better than the actual drivers and officials. And belittle them if they are not of the same opinion ("Ricciardo could have been an astronaut for all I care"). And I am the condescending one? Whatever you say.

Calling what happened an incident is like classifying bumping someone's shoulder as battery. People are getting too soft these days.
Jesus Christ, what a perfect example to illustrate my point.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 217 14.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 115 7.7%
  • < 5 years