DiRT Rally 2.0 Very poor sense of speed !

I just installed the latest version of DR 2.0 and immediately noticed the sense of speed was utterly poor !

The speedometer is showing 170-180 km/h but it feels more like I'm driving at about 70-80 km/h

I have tried to change the FOV but that makes absolutely zero improvements !

Am I missing something here ?

For me when using correct fov value with my display and distance feels a bit slower than "real speed", like if I'm doing 100km/h it feels more like 80km/h, this can be fixed if I put fov slider 2click higher but I haven't done it. Higher speed sensation could actually make me slower but could prevent some of the driving errors but idk.

I use incar view where seat can be moved and that is affected by the fov slider.

Fov slider adjustment is in vertical degrees from all the way left position 30degrees to 70 degrees at very right. Maybe first put correct/closest fov value what u should use and then adjust it higher until sense of speed is more correct (and try bonnet/hood view too and then have fov slider maxed to right).

Test some of the bad handling cars with crazy amount of power like Gr B 4wd AUdi, Peugeot, Lancia and Gr B rwd BMW M1, Lancia 037. If u are only driving modern cars (2000cc, R5 etc) those handle better which could give feeling that u are not going fast when cars are very stabel and planted all times, all bumps are absorbed well by the suspension etc.

Last edited:
For me when using correct fov value with my display and distance feels a bit slower than "real speed", like if I'm doing 100km/h it feels more like 80km/h, this can be fixed if I put fov slider 2click higher but I haven't done it. Higher speed sensation could actually make me slower but could prevent some of the driving errors but idk.

I use incar view where seat can be moved and that is affected by the fov slider.

Fov slider adjustment is in vertical degrees from all the way left position 30degrees to 70 degrees at very right. Maybe first put correct/closest fov value what u should use and then adjust it higher until sense of speed is more correct (and try bonnet/hood view too and then have fov slider maxed to right).

Test some of the bad handling cars with crazy amount of power like Gr B 4wd AUdi, Peugeot, Lancia and Gr B rwd BMW M1, Lancia 037. If u are only driving modern cars (2000cc, R5 etc) those handle better which could give feeling that u are not going fast when cars are very stabel and planted all times, all bumps are absorbed well by the suspension etc.
I got fed up with Dirt Rally 2 (again) and went back to WRC 10 !
Ahhhh what a glorious feeling to feel the speed for real !

There's lot of stuff that affects sense of speed. It will be best with Triples with about 150-180degrees of visibility, then comes VR & superultrawide 32:9 that gives you about 100degrees. It will be worst with a single 16:9 display but it's still correct because if u have a same visibility out of a real car that matches 16:9 screen size infront of you it will feel that you're driving very slowly even at +150km/h speeds.

Last edited:
There's lot of stuff that affects sense of speed. It will be best with Triples with about 150-180degrees of visibility, then comes VR & superultrawide 32:9 that gives you about 100degrees. It will be worst with a single 16:9 display but it's still correct because if u have a same visibility out of a real car that matches 16:9 screen size infront of you it will feel that you're driving very slowly even at +150km/h speeds.
I have a 46" monitor and with WRC 10 the sense of speed is totally awesome !

I do not experience any discomfort in any game. Here is the link to the calculator https://dinex86.github.io/FOV-Calculator/ It is not necessary to set the exact value, I usually make the FOV a little wider.
Doesn't matter what fov setting is used in DR 2.0 the sense of speed is completely absent ! Maybe that's why Codies use such blurry graphics to give the fake impression of speed !

Last edited:
Doesn't matter what fov setting is used in DR 2.0 the sense of speed is completely absent ! Maybe that's why Codies use such blurry graphics to give the fake impression of speed !

I had to turn off the WRC10 sharpening, which is the default, "blood out of my eyes" :) In DR2.0 you can turn off TAA to remove blur, but I'm afraid that won't help - WRC 10 ruined your senses forever :)

I had to turn off the WRC10 sharpening, which is the default, "blood out of my eyes" :) In DR2.0 you can turn off TAA to remove blur, but I'm afraid that won't help - WRC 10 ruined your senses forever :)
The only thing I turn off in wrc 10 is motion blur !
A racing game's first priority is sense of speed !
Otherwise it's totally useless ! ( Codemasters take notes ! )
Really looking forward to the Belgium and Acropolis stages !
I'm totally confident that they will give me the adrenaline fix I need !

The sense of sped is particularly bad in the wet an area where this game is very poor in my opinion, the game slows down a lot, the cars all feel terrible.
It is almost as though the people writing it know nothing about rallying, wet weather tyres are VERY good, and often the cars have similar grip in the wet as they can use softer compounds and the edges of the tread bite in more.

That's me driving in Argentina, how does sense of speed look in that video, is it any realistic?

I'm using 49" 32:9 superultrawide display with vfov of 38degrees which is correct value for me based on distance to the display (about 50cm or 20 inches) combined with Natural Point Track ir5 +pro clip

Sense of speed can feel more off if road is wider and there's open areas around, compared to being surrounded by cliff walls everywhere.

Or here's another example of more real life experience:
- u are driving 75mph (120km/h) on a 4-8 multilane highway with open areas to the side VERSUS
- u are driving(speeding) 75mph (120km/h) in european city centre on a narrow 2-lane street (with roadside parking) and parked cars + tall buildings are surrounding you.

I bet driving 75mph (120km/h) in that european city street feels faster (or more dangerous).

Last edited:

That's me driving in Argentina, how does sense of speed look in that video, is it any realistic?

I'm using 49" 32:9 superultrawide display with vfov of 38degrees which is correct value for me based on distance to the display (about 50cm or 20 inches) combined with Natural Point Track ir5 +pro clip

Sense of speed can feel more off if road is wider and there's open areas around, compared to being surrounded by cliff walls everywhere.

Or here's another example of more real life experience:
- u are driving 75mph (120km/h) on a 4-8 multilane highway with open areas to the side VERSUS
- u are driving(speeding) 75mph (120km/h) in european city centre on a narrow 2-lane street (with roadside parking) and parked cars + tall buildings are surrounding you.

I bet driving 75mph (120km/h) in that european city street feels faster (or more dangerous).
That stage is relatively slow with few or no fast straights so it does in no way reveal the problem of bad sense of speed !

I just installed the latest version of DR 2.0 and immediately noticed the sense of speed was utterly poor !

The speedometer is showing 170-180 km/h but it feels more like I'm driving at about 70-80 km/h

I have tried to change the FOV but that makes absolutely zero improvements !

Am I missing something here ?
The sense of speed is always relatively low with games that have an adjustable and realistic FOV. That is the case with DR 2.0. If you want a sense of speed try games that have an unrealistic FOV. Lots of arcade games have unrealistic FOV. That is why people who have been playing arcade games for a while and start with simulators often complain that there is no sense of speed.

The sense of speed is always relatively low with games that have an adjustable and realistic FOV. That is the case with DR 2.0. If you want a sense of speed try games that have an unrealistic FOV. Lots of arcade games have unrealistic FOV. That is why people who have been playing arcade games for a while and start with simulators often complain that there is no sense of speed.

I've played Assetto Corsa from day 1 and never felt a poor sense of speed !
Since Codemasters are pure arcade devs shouldn't the sense of speed be awesome ?

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 348 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 480 38.9%