PC2 Very Frustrated - Anyone else have this...

I can practice for an hour, similar temps and weather conditions. I get to the race and the car totally handles very differently. Mostly 35-40% less grip, especially at the start. By the 5th lap, I am done. I don't know how else to drive or set up the car. Anyone get this and get over it?

Unfortunately, this game is no longer further developed by SMS or anyone. I've currently been playing F1 2019 and although less FFB, the physics are more reliable.

I can practice for an hour, similar temps and weather conditions. I get to the race and the car totally handles very differently. Mostly 35-40% less grip, especially at the start. By the 5th lap, I am done. I don't know how else to drive or set up the car. Anyone get this and get over it?

Unfortunately, this game is no longer further developed by SMS or anyone. I've currently been playing F1 2019 and although less FFB, the physics are more reliable.
I think that, unless you have some bug, your problem is in that "similar".
In pcars you have something like rfactor's realroad with some added variables, so track "heating" considers sun angle (in respect to track angle), shadows, cars passing, wind. Then you have also the track rubbering in and dirt and oil on the track in case of accidents. That accounts for quite big differences in the handling: try a practice session on the same day at morning, mid day and evening and you'll get different breaking points and grip on most tracks.
You also have to account for the pre-heated tire+tire air+brake+rim during races, it all starts at the same temperature (tire's optimal) and the pressure you get when the tires get hot is sometimes not identical to the one you get with starting on cold tires, and it can make a difference too.
I normally adjust at least brake ducts and tire pressure before every session to try to get the best grip.

I can confirm that there is less grip at the start of races. As there will be loads more AI close by, I wonder if it is linked to a drop in frame rate affecting the physics calculations if the PC is more stressed. Just wondering.

Agree with Hotak. Also, what platform are you on? Original Xbox is struggling with the game, sadly.
I rarely play online, but the general consensus seem to be that it's better to setup a private online race for testing setups etc. Even if it always will be an element of randomness, called a 'seed' at the start of every session. So no two races will ever be exactly the same, regarding track temp, rubbering etc.

See Yorkie065's excellent series (50 episodes) that explain pretty much every aspect of the game. Here's a link to the first of two episodes about seeds and LiveTrack:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back