Versus v Versus v Versus

I5 v I7

GTX980ti v GTX1070

Triple screen v VR

I'm looking at getting a new pc budget £1000 - £1500. I;ve been looking around and I'm not going to rush but it would be nice to get some other peoples thoughts. I currently have an Acer Predator G605 and although it's ok it's only mid spec and my I5 4570 struggles with some of the games at times. I could upgrade but because it's Acer, I can only go up to an I7 4790 with the current motherboard but I want something to last 5 years because it's getting expensive to be a pc gamer. I upgraded from a GTX770 to GTX970 a year ago and that is a fine card but I'm sure it's the cpu that is slowing games down. For example, Euro Truck 2 I have to have on medium to low settings and even then it doesn't run great. Arma 3 I struggle with that and obviously games are going to need more and more power. what do you think? Cheers

That config looks solid, my only concern would be the CPU cooler. Stock Intel coolers are crap, so if it's mounted with that, you might have to save some for a proper one.

However, don't expect to be able to run ARMA 3 properly on even the strongest of a config. It's just too badly optimized, I'm happy if I can reach a stable 50fps on my config. And Euro Truck 2 is DX9, with all its limitations, so you might have fps drops even on the lowest settings in some cities.

Upvote 0
That config looks solid, my only concern would be the CPU cooler. Stock Intel coolers are crap, so if it's mounted with that, you might have to save some for a proper one.

However, don't expect to be able to run ARMA 3 properly on even the strongest of a config. It's just too badly optimized, I'm happy if I can reach a stable 50fps on my config. And Euro Truck 2 is DX9, with all its limitations, so you might have fps drops even on the lowest settings in some cities.
So with what you say about Arma and Euro truck which I agree with, I'm thinking I'll maybe wait a bit.

Upvote 0
Don't misunderstand, your plan is well laid down and is absolutely the way to go for long-term. I'm kinda the same, buy a whole new system every about every 5 years, maybe do a GPU upgrade in between. ARMA and ETS2 will get better performance, it's just that they won't get flying, stable framerates due to how they are built. But for example sims will be grateful for the upgrade, and if you're planning on VR, the GTX10xx series is absolutely what you need. Not only for the performance, but their VR specific optimization that can render the two viewpoints from a single scene, instead of doing it by rendering everything twice. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Don't misunderstand, your plan is well laid down and is absolutely the way to go for long-term. I'm kinda the same, buy a whole new system every about every 5 years, maybe do a GPU upgrade in between. ARMA and ETS2 will get better performance, it's just that they won't get flying, stable framerates due to how they are built. But for example sims will be grateful for the upgrade, and if you're planning on VR, the GTX10xx series is absolutely what you need. Not only for the performance, but their VR specific optimization that can render the two viewpoints from a single scene, instead of doing it by rendering everything twice. :thumbsup:
Yes well vr is probably where I'm going I think but I've been looking at some reviews for freshtech and some really good some not so, complaints about cheap parts.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.5%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 325 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing