The FIA is at fault here.
That kind of stuff is terrible for the sport and especially for us, the audience.

We want to watch close racing WITH side by side action.
But this **** where the overtaking guy can just push the outside guy wide in a proper Hamilton-esque move ist simply terrible.

I'll never understand why the FIA doesn't implement a very simple rule that applies to tight corners:
If you are attacking on the inside, you gotta stay on the inside.

That way the outside guy gets a change to counter and there is a much bigger chance for a great run-off towards the next corner. Which is what the audience wants to see.

If you are an idiot an leave the door open like Charles did, you deserve to lose your position.

Exciting racing would not lost if Max didnt play dirty, it would only last longer.
and i think the FIA just opened the hornet's nest with that decision

Last edited:
Hamilton is always a sly bastard when he runs people wide. Specially when running Rosberg wide because he knew there is way more pressure not to crash into teammates.
BUT Hamilton is sly within the rules: front axle ahead on exit = the line is his.
Today the front axle was leveled on exit = the line is to be shared according to the rules.
What is in question here is not if Max was "dirty" or sly. Max was just not smart enough to use the rules against Charles.
Which is actually a surprise because when Max is defending he uses tactics that are frowned upon BUT all within the rules.
Max is the best driver on the grid alongside Hamilton. But that was a brain fart.

It's just funny how in the second F3 race almost exactly the same happened, just one corner later.
Penalty was given...

I don't think leclerc wants to get his first win like this so I think it's better for him with this ruling but looking at precedents, looking at rules etc. This decision is just inconsistency at its best.

Sadly I can't find a video of the formula 3 incident but it's hilarious that it was a penalty there but not today.

Firstly I admit I'm a fan of Verstappen. Secondly I'll admit I'm a fan of hard racing. Thirdly I'll admit I'm no fan of penalties for track action.
Firstly I admit I am not a fan of Verstappen. Secondly I'll admit I'm a fan of hard racing. Thirdly I'll admit I am a fan of penalties for track action where clearly warranted. Fourth I'll admit I'm a fan of Leclerc.

No penalty in my opinion. I was just fretting the stewards decision, thinking they would drive another nail in the coffin of F1.

Un rude sorpasso a tre giri dal termine tra il primo e il secondo, nessuna penalità perché sono gare automobilistiche non gite turistiche. Lasciamo i cavilli del regolamento ai "pinocchio" della Mercedes e Hamilton

You can't blame anyone who disagrees with the race result today.

In many aspect the decision was political.

The real bottom line is that today's race will have no impact on the constructors or drivers championship and that is what counts.

For sure VER pass was dirty. Another driver on another lap would have drawn a penalty almost no question.

Myself I voted nasty pass, but no penalty. I think we need to have less regulation and more racing.

We still need rules, and perhaps today will harden the rules we have, but somehow the racing needs to prevail.

cheers

2016 Rosberg got 10 s penalty and two points on license, so its red bulls house!

This^

Let's face it, following F1 these days is just senseless. I would just say, get rid of those stupid rules and let them race again and a race like today would be kind of interesting to watch. The flexible application of the rules just makes it a no-go for me. I mean, who in gods name watches this farce, where millions and billions of dollars are spent just to see certain drivers get favored as if it was a dicing game.

Watched MotoGP instead, so could really just see the incident between Max and LeClerc ...

Honestly, I thought they are going to give the penalty, just not wanted to spoil the celebration with Austrian anthem and tributes to Niki. Quite disappointed to see them losing their integrity in the end. Formula 1 rules proved to be a joke again...

2 questions:
1) What was reaction on VER-HAM in Bahrain 2018?
2) What would be result if Leclerc going position back while going off track?

For me this was pure racing, but only because of what happened lap before this was 100% penalty. Or giving place back immediately and overtaking him in next lap, which was more than possible. But politics has won, non-merc win is done, will they allow Merc to bring updates for next race? :roflmao:

This^

Let's face it, following F1 these days is just senseless. I would just say, get rid of those stupid rules and let them race again and a race like today would be kind of interesting to watch. The flexible application of the rules just makes it a no-go for me. I mean, who in gods name watches this farce, where millions and billions of dollars are spent just to see certain drivers get favored as if it was a dicing game.

Watched MotoGP instead, so could really just see the incident between Max and LeClerc ...

This weekend I watched both races in F2 and F3 + last 7 laps of F1, time well spent. :cool: but interesting thing in F3. For going off track and gaining advantage there were multiple penalties, and for one driver they gave it in lap 9-10 and few laps later there was decision to remove that penalty. So that is also possible. :)

i can just imagine a modern era FIA drivers debriefing with Ayrton Senna
FIA: Ayrton what is your opinion on the overtaking maneuver by Max.
Ayrton: Well, If you don't go for the gap.............
FIA: Yes but, we don't really encourage gaps anymore, we would prefer you to overtake, with the assistance of DRS, on the straights only? :O_o:

This one is easy, yes Max could have left him more space but he was in front of him so Leclerc could have backed of. It was Leclerc his decision he didn't and stayed on the outside and even caused a touche. Like Max said after the race, Leclerc would have done the same thing. In all those years I've seen hundreds of these actions. Is it unfair? Maybe a little but absolutely nothing special. Certainly not enough for a penalty, which is killing this sport anyway.

This one is easy, yes Max could have left him more space but he was in front of him so Leclerc could have backed of. It was Leclerc his decision he didn't and stayed on the outside and even caused a touche.

1. They were completely even side by side, otherwise they would not have made contact with their front tires, but one would've touched the others wing, or sidepod, etc.
upload_2019-6-30_22-58-10.png

2. If you really think Leclerc is at fault for the collision you're straight up delusional.

This reads like some Verstappen-Ultra love letter, which all F1 fans really appreciate.

I call it the MAX rule!!! Max allways gets away with pushing people off track for no reason!!! There's allways more than enough room but he just can't resist pushing people off track.
Lewis does it all the time, even to teammates. Guess that alright, aye?

Last edited:
First of all. Love the poll options! Actually a poll where it is possible to vote properly :)

For the move. For me it is simple. ISC Appendix l, Chapter IV 2b)
Overtaking, according to the circumstances, may be carried out on either the right or the left.
A driver may not deliberately leave the track without justifiable reason.
More than one change of direction to defend a position is not permitted.
Any driver moving back towards the racing line, having earlier defended his position off-line, should leave at least one car width between his own car and the edge of the track on the approach to the corner.
However, manoeuvres liable to hinder other drivers, such as deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track or any other abnormal change of direction, are strictly prohibited.
Any driver who appears guilty of any of the above offences will be reported to the Stewards.

You are not allowed to force another driver off track. That is quite clearly what have been done here. Verstappen never made the pass, he went on the inside, but never actually passed Leclerc until he punted him off. This isn't touring cars (and to be fair, such a move is not allowed there either).

I can see why the FIA didn't dare to penalize him, but this opens it up for later this year, force others off the track is now legal if you are side by side. It was an amazing drive from Verstappen, the Red Bull in his hands was able to get much out of the tyres compared to the rest - so on pace it was a deserved win. However, this one. Shouldn't been his.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 302 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 210 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 202 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 152 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 269 13.7%