WIP VERSME rally cross track

In regards to DDS formats, it depends what you want.

DXT1 = Max compression (lowest quality) with no transparency (i think)
DXT3 = Medium compression with explicit alphas, no multiple transparency
DXT5 = Medium compression with interpolated alphas, multiple transparency

Or something like that....... Also, with lower compression obviously comes higher file sizes.

In firs I used DXT1 - for road and gass textures without transparency - but as result I have lambent view, and it is very poor for driving... Now I change to DXT3, but dont konw is it good. And view much better. Do you change any options in Photoshop when you saving to DDS files?

I dont use photoshop. I use GIMP.

The only down side to using GIMP is, if you save with MipMaps, it will produce 10 of them, with no option to change how many you want.

But, on the plus side, its a hell of a lot easier to use.

Photoshop for me is standart working program ;) and I don't have trouble with it. Any way, when I saving as DDS have more options and can chose much more... But don't know what :D
screenshot049em.jpg

By antanas_j at 2010-04-27

Again, you don't need to save maps that don't have transparency as dtx3 - you just get bigger file sizes and that's all. I don't think the dtx1 has worse quality - for me it looks like it's just a matter of alpha (none, explicit or interpolated).
I've read somewhere on the Forum that somebody had problem after exporting ALL mip-maps. The topic was different, but maybe you can check this also... For my purposes I use 4-6 mip maps and it's enough. I figured that bump/specular textures can add more sharpness (and nice effects too!) than high mipmap settings. Rendering many mipmaps also makes the computer to calculate more :)
I usually go to "Sharpening..." and in most cases I choose standart (unmodified) "Sharpen Soft". In very few cases I added sharpening to the first map (default is 0).
And more again - expertise the very edges of your textures in Photoshop at highest view magnification - I cropped a big texture to small size and I always had those different looking lines there. You can send me one of "suspect" textures and I can check if I have the same effect on my machine (in BTB/RBR).

Check your 3d armco`s.

Maybe you have sections that are too long and the gmts are too big?
Maybe they are too detailed for the game?

Just a suggestion :)

EDIT: In response to your message Martinez;

The 3d armco's are the red and white barriers you have all around your track.
The GMT's are the object files that rfactor reads. Look through your track folder, sort by size and see which GMT file is the biggest.
They`ll have names like 'OBJ_23' or 'SOBJ_23'

Thanks Kris, I thought my message wasn't sent (did not see in "sent" items) - now I know :)
Ah, you mean rFactor (GMT's) - for RBR (I guess) there's similar thing - in the folder "Obects" there are XFORM files - for one of my big tracks with many objects I have more than 3000 files there, most of them are like 1kb, 50 are bigger than 100 kb, the biggest is 564kb - is it too big?
The track slows down a little, but I think for my machine it is normal thing. It's not a powerful computer any longer ;)
I was thinking that big textures harm FPS more than number of polygons, now I think it can be both. But still, it's worth to spend much time on optimizing the whole thing, also LOD's for roads, what I found lately. Big work then... ;)
The original RBR tracks are perfectly optimized as I inspected the files order, the textures etc.
It would be best thing to make exact texture's sheets with exact numbers of objects that one would liketo use - for every single track (or series of tracks), but then completely new xpacks would need to be created...

I found that my mistake is that I used grass from xpack - "Great Britain (RBR)". As result, I have 5 files 5,441 kb. :O And I see this is the main reason of low FPS... Now I making my own grass models and i think that all was is ok :)

The GB xpack is great, but maybe sometime it's worth to take just some objects/textures from there and make own - then you are sure that you don't load 15 Megs of textures for three kinds of grass only :)

Now, I think, that my firs rally track is finish. On PC with poor graphic card and old system, I have - 21 FPS. On newest PC, it's over 30 FPS.
Is any body, who want convert it to original RBR format, or learn me how to do it...

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 105 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 146 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 279 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 405 40.0%