Vega56 upgrade dissapointment

Greame Champion

Technomaniac
Hi all,

So I have been looking to upgrade my GTX970 for a while and at the weekend a hotdeal came up with ebuyer via ebay. I got a vega56 for £200, happy days I thought.
Did a fresh install of windows and but on the latest AMD drivers, fired up assetto corsa compotizione and to my disappointment I went from about 80FPS with the 970 to 97 FPS with the vega. The graphics also seemed jittery not smooth. This was my first radeon card and it has now been returned. Just wanted to know if I was expecting to much FPS wise as all the reviews said it was a beast at 1080p.
Just wanted to add with the 970 my cpu is always around 60% when the GPU is 100% and the vega was the same.

Thanks Greame

Honestly, there's very little to go by. It might've been normal, or it might've not.

Also, there are often issues when you swap from nVidia GPU to AMD or vice versa.

Honestly, there's very little to go by. It might've been normal, or it might've not.

Also, there are often issues when you swap from nVidia GPU to AMD or vice versa.

Hi Martin,
As Emery mentioned I was hoping that others may have made this upgrade and posted their findings. I certainly did not see a 55% increase and accept that many other variables apply.
Regards Greame

Hi Dud,
Like I say the CPU was showing 60 ish % in the AMD software. I have sent the card back now as I always buy Nvidia as a rule, this deal was to good though and I had to go for it :) .

In Windows that doesn't prove anything since you only get a CPU load for all cores combined. You wouldn't learn if there is a single thread pegging a single core at 100% for a while. You can download better tools (shouldn't have to), but the point is that downclocking to find out where bottlenecks are is pretty much bulletproof and the software can't screw up.

I was running AC on ATi until very recently and was very pleased, including performance. I'd debug what is going on.

In Windows that doesn't prove anything since you only get a CPU load for all cores combined. You wouldn't learn if there is a single thread pegging a single core at 100% for a while. You can download better tools (shouldn't have to), but the point is that downclocking to find out where bottlenecks are is pretty much bulletproof and the software can't screw up.

I was running AC on ATi until very recently and was very pleased, including performance. I'd debug what is going on.
Thanks for taking the time Dud. I have now settled on waiting for a good price on a GTX1660ti as I am at 1080p. Hoping to pull the trigger at around £200 so may have to wait a bit.
Cheers Greame

Morning all,
So last night I did some testing and tried using vysnc with Rfactor 2 and assettocorsa comp. The results with my current setup were very pleasing so I have some questions :)
I have a MSI GTX970 with a 4690K CPU at 4.4mhz and when I run with vsync 60 fps afterburner showed me some good numbers as follow:
Rfactor 2 was awesome CPU hardly used and not able to max out the GPU with everything turned up. (very pleased and the gameing was awesome).
Now Assetto corsa compotizione is running very well but I was able to max out my cpu with vsync enabled but running at 71 degrees (is that ok?) The GPU was also near 100 % . This was with just a few things turned down in an AI race with rain.
So now I am starting to wonder if it will be worth upgrading my GPU at all, what do you think?

Many thanks Greame

Morning all,
So last night I did some testing and tried using vysnc with Rfactor 2 and assettocorsa comp. The results with my current setup were very pleasing so I have some questions :)
I have a MSI GTX970 with a 4690K CPU at 4.4mhz and when I run with vsync 60 fps afterburner showed me some good numbers as follow:
Rfactor 2 was awesome CPU hardly used and not able to max out the GPU with everything turned up. (very pleased and the gameing was awesome).
Now Assetto corsa compotizione is running very well but I was able to max out my cpu with vsync enabled but running at 71 degrees (is that ok?) The GPU was also near 100 % . This was with just a few things turned down in an AI race with rain.
So now I am starting to wonder if it will be worth upgrading my GPU at all, what do you think?

Many thanks Greame
71° is totally fine in my opinion. The automatic down throttling would kick in at around 90° so in my opinion everything below 80° is okay.
Below 70° is better but hey, you don't plan on running the cpu another 10+ years I guess.

About upgrading: put the "resolution" scale to 50% in assetto corsa competizione. It will look very ugly but you'll lower the load on your graphics card while maintaining the same level of detail that the cpu has to do.
Then deactivate vsync and also deactivate any active fps limiter and see what your fps are now.
This will show you what your cpu is able to put out and therefore would be the new limit if you upgrade your graphics card.

One thing about this: your cpu might not go up to full 100%. That's because most simracing titles can't use all cores of your cpu.
The cpu will be the limit, although not fully used. I call it "single thread performance limit".

Anyway, disable vsync, disable fps limiters, put resolution scale to 50% and run the same race again to see what a gpu upgrade would lead to regarding fps :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back