PC2 Various Project CARS 2 Previews, Interview and Pre Order Details

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 2 Pre Order Details.jpg

Slightly Mad Studios have revealed pre order details for the upcoming Project CARS 2, with plenty of content on offer for those who put down money early on the new game.

As has become tradition in the gaming industry over the years, players who choose to pre order a game in advance of the official release date will be eligible to receive various perks unavailable to those who purchase once the game is out in the public domain.

In the case of Project CARS 2, Slightly Mad Studios have confirmed the new title will ship in two special edition variants, Standard and Deluxe.

The Standard Edition includes:
  • The Full Game
  • The Japanese Car Pack, featuring
- Honda Euro Spec Civic Type-R
- Honda Project 2&4
- Nissan Skyline GT-R (R32) Group A
- Nissan 280ZX IMSA GTX

Standard Edition is available for Xbox One (£49.99), PlayStation 4 (£49.99) and Windows PC (£44.99).

The Deluxe Edition Includes:
  • The Full Game
  • The Season Pass
  • The Japanese Car Pack, featuring
- Honda Euro Spec Civic Type-R
- Honda Project 2&4
- Nissan Skyline GT-R (R32) Group A
- Nissan 280ZX IMSA GTX
  • The Motorsports Pack, featuring
- Jaguar E-Type V12, Group 44
- Panoz Esperante GTR-1
- Audi V8 DTM
- Opel Astra TCR

Deluxe Edition is available for Xbox One (£74.99), PlayStation 4 (£74.99) and Windows PC (£69.98).

In other news Project CARS 2 Game Director Stephen Viljoen spoke recently with Nvidia about the game and what to expect come release later in the year:

Project CARS 2 will be available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC 22nd September 2017.

Project CARS 2 - Esperante GTR-1 - 2.jpg
Project CARS 2 - Esperante GTR-1.jpg
Project CARS 2 - Honda Civic Type R 2.jpg
Project CARS 2 - Honda Civic Type R 3.jpg
Project CARS 2 - Honda Civic Type R.jpg

The Project CARS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment is the place to go for all the latest news and discussion around this exciting new game from Slightly Mad Studios. Check out the sub forum, get involved in the discussion and join our community as we await release later this year!

Will you be pre ordering Project CARS 2 prior to release in September? Do you think the additional content will be worth the risk of buying before reviews surface? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
@traind I have no issue with DLC that adds to a game, but when you get ones that is obviously cut out of the release just so they can sell it back to you is ridiculous. Or, when the game is released with little content, and the developer charges to add more content.

You also have to consider the price of the game + all of the DLC when you want to see how much a game will really cost you. Take PCars 2 for example, the base game will cost $60. There is the Deluxe Edition, which includes the Japanese pack, Motorsports pack, and season pass for the DLC. This $60 game is now $90. It would be even more expensive if all is bought separately.

You are taking quite the liberty interpreting the birth of DLC and paid online access. The issue here isn't also DLC extending the life of a game, it's the DLC being ingame content pieced out of the package and placed behind an additional paywall.

The only liberty I am taking is telling you the industry perspective that birthed dlc (at a high level). "We are giving our customers much more value per dollar than other entertainment options but they balk at paying more. How can we receive an appropriate relative return for value provided while also keeping our relationship with them?" They considered subscription models and raising new game prices and ended up with dlc. And it worked.

Sure a few companies abuse it but all PCars 2 is doing is saying we will reward you if you preorder with a few extra cars. That benefits them and they are giving you a reward. But people complain about it. It's simple.... if you want those cars pre order or you'll have to pay separately later. Do you go into a restaurant and order a meal then demand dessert be given to you for free? After all, they've already made the desert shouldn't it be given to you for free?

I didn't expect everyone on this site to like the reality of dlc or the truth behind it. Some whiny gamers begrudge anything they have to pay for. I have talked to many developers (4 trips to E3 in years gone by amongst other things) and they work their ass off. But the vocal internet want it all as cheap as they can get it.

I'm going to pre order it the night before release. Download it and have a play. If it feels better than 1 I will keep it. If not it will be getting refunded. It's pretty black and white for me. Although it is looking tempting.
Is this doable with steam refund policy?
I know the 2 hour 2 week rule but are u sure it flies with pre order?
If so I'll do the same. Even after swearing i would never touch an sms product again, it looks promising.

I'm very unsure about this game. I'm not part of the group that hates on the first game, in fact, I've enjoyed my fair share of it. But after that I got AC, then I got AC's DLCs, and AC is so much superior in almost every aspect. And Kunos is anything but done with AC, which kinda makes me doubt about PC2. Especially price-wise, it has the tag of an AAA game and before it has been released, we know there will be more than 2 DLCs, and you'll get only one for free if you preorder. I don't feel I'll get as much value for money.
I am not ruling out the game by any means but I'd wait. Perhaps Youtubers who get early access will be able to paint a better picture for us.
Totally agree

Is this doable with steam refund policy?
I know the 2 hour 2 week rule but are u sure it flies with pre order?
If so I'll do the same. Even after swearing i would never touch an sms product again, it looks promising.
Yeah, its 48 hours for a direct refund i beleive. During a 2 day period they allow maybe up to 4 hours of gameplay. (Might not work all the time. My friend got a refund within a day for playing a game for 4 hours). But if you are past the 2 day mark than its pretty hard to get a refund if you have over 2 hours. Steam are great with this stuff. They understand pre-ordering a game could go wrong. You might not like playing what you see. For all the hate some people can give them they are pretty fair. Heck even EA gave me a refund a day ago after owning a game for more than 10 days because of a technical issue i could not fix. :) It also helps being really polite and understanding towards the person you are talking to in support.

I don't understand what the cry is about,

(numbers are just eample)
just becasue they chosen to hire more poeple so that they can make 150 cars at the time when they are focused on development, and chose to put 50 cars as DLC , that doesn't devaluate the game any more or less , when compared to some company that released game with 50 cars, and then released 100 cars as a DLC later on , once they have more money to pay for it

in the end, you both payed for 150 cars and it's really up you if the $$$ is worth it or not

just because the visual model is done, it doesn't mean that all aspect about the car is done, so perhaps it couldn't be released anyhow

this sense of "ownership" or entitlement, or however I should call it , ... if people didn't know those car existed , nobody would care, but suddenly it's all un-fair ,
really don't understand this approach

if game is sold to me with 12 cars, and each year I get another car as DLC, that's imo a bad practice
if I get 100 cars with another 50 , it's really up to me if it's worth it or not

as an example, I really like Forza games, but not to a point where I would be buying DLC cars, because the base game has enough cars., and even if there was a car in DLC that I really really want, the somewhat less realisitc physics doesn't really make me buy it

but I could really care less if the cars already exist or not at the time of purchase, it doesn't change anything !!!

people put into their game what they want, not everything that's available
if that pisses you off then fine, don't support such company

I personally have bigger problem with companies that are trying to sneak un-licensed cars and series into their 10 years old engine ...

Yeah I feel like I came across a bit negative in my first post. Project Cars 1 was a game i had been excited for since 2013. I remember sitting in French class watching videos of the game with my friend instead of doing work. We were so hyped for the game. And when it came out I don't think we were disappointed. But we were sad. Pcars website had promised a co-op career style gamemode. Oval racing (Indy) and much more that never made the cut. At the time i was not too happy but after reflection i realise game development can be hard and somethings might never work out how you expect. Whilst i would not say I am Project Cars' biggest fan... it has given me nearly 100 hours of gameplay. 3 hours of that was spent attempting to get the 98t round Spa beating my time in time attack mode (No Assists, Full boost) I was so spurred on by the fact i could not beat my time it took me 3 hours to best it. restart after restart. Whilst it may seem odd. it is up there as one of the greatest gaming moments I have had as a user. Conquering my Everest after 3 hours of torture.

For me Project Cars lacked the road connection feel rFactor 2, AMS, R3E, AC and even iRacing had spoilt me with. Looking at videos of Project Cars 2 it looks like slide control, and the overall limit of adhesion seems to be very consistent.
I am optimistically excited. I have been let down by games before and I'm sure it will happen again in my lifetime. But Project Cars 2 looks promising. I am eagerly awaiting September :)

Do you go into a restaurant and order a meal then demand dessert be given to you for free? After all, they've already made the desert shouldn't it be given to you for free?

A la carte - gaming. iRacing and R3E is much better to compare with then.

I'd rather pay a higher price at once, and get a full game, then pay money every other month... The positive side is that you don't have to actually buy the DLC to race with people that have the DLC.

I am very much aware that the price for games have not gone up together with inflation, so it is cheaper today than it was 10 years ago. That doesn't change my feeling that I pay for something that's been chopped up, instead of an actual full game.
I guess this is why I basically never buy DLC's as well.

sliding in the RX car definitely feels good and controlled/expected :)

A la carte - gaming. iRacing and R3E is much better to compare with then.

I'd rather pay a higher price at once, and get a full game, then pay money every other month... The positive side is that you don't have to actually buy the DLC to race with people that have the DLC.

then buy extended editions that include season passes and your problem is solved

"We are giving our customers much more value per dollar than other entertainment options but they balk at paying more. How can we receive an appropriate relative return for value provided while also keeping our relationship with them?"

This is a circular argument. It's like welfare. When one state (or country) raises their tax rate, the other state says "Whaaaaaa....look at how little we tax! We need to raise it to be more in line with the competition because we are hurt so so bad! Whaaaaaa!" So, the rate keeps climbing until smart consumers go elsewhere. Don't let anyone fool you into believing that companies deserve sympathy, like people do...because they don't. They are as cold as the government, without Sovereign Immunity.

If not for the console kiddies, this would never have happened. $49 for Assetto on the console was a complete fraud. pCARS, in the other hand, was a good deal. Even if pCARS were free, crowd funding made then rich for a long long time.

I remember sitting in French class
Huh. Didn't know they are still teaching French. :laugh:

This is a circular argument. It's like welfare. When one state (or country) raises their tax rate, the other state says "Whaaaaaa....look at how little we tax! We need to raise it to be more in line with the competition because we are hurt so so bad! Whaaaaaa!" So, the rate keeps climbing until smart consumers go elsewhere. Don't let anyone fool you into believing that companies deserve sympathy, like people do...because they don't. They are as cold as the government, without Sovereign Immunity.

If not for the console kiddies, this would never have happened. $49 for Assetto on the console was a complete fraud. pCARS, in the other hand, was a good deal. Even if pCARS were free, crowd funding made then rich for a long long time.
:laugh:
It isn't a circular argument.... its called a free market. Products can be sold up to the limit consumers accept the value proposition. No perceived value, no sale. Companies can try to maximize profit within that relationship. That limit is different for everyone ----which I am ok with.

But I find most dlc arguments ridiculous. It really is like asking for dessert to be free because it is already made or should have come with the meal. The great thing is you have the choice. If the restaurant won't give you dessert for free find another one that will.

And yes i see your point about sympathy for companies. 30 years in the workforce will give you that perspective. But also remember that companies are made up of people. And the game development industry is one of the most turbulent for employees. If revenue streams aren't consistent, people get laid off. DLC actually helps avoid that scenario, believe it or not.

Products can be sold up to the limit consumers accept the value proposition.

Do you ever wonder why console games (that's what we are talking about really) are, in essence, controlled by a Japanese company and another company that has been sued on two continents for anti-trust violations...and settled one (Bush Jr. got elected to save them in the U.S.). Do you ever wonder why console games are either $50 or $60, with most the latter? Is that a free market? Strange that Sony and Microsoft charge the exact same. Ever wonder why Microsoft's approval process for patches is basically akin to technological censorship? Ask a developer if you know one. I do. Ever wonder why millions of people who invested in pCARS wanted to sue...because they paid to "fund" the game, which SMS said was in lieu of a publisher...and then went straight to a publisher while charging the rest for a game where the developer outright lied about ovals and IndyCar? Ever wonder why Wii users threatened to sue SMS for lying to Wii users about the actual existence of the game?

If you actually study reality and history, instead of listening to your economic professor's platitudes, you will have the right answer. You don't see Kunos lining up to refund console players because they failed to deliver a product that was fit for the purpose for which it was advertised?

I'm not saying that everyone deserves a lawyer, I'm saying buyer beware...but that doesn't assume that the buyer is a corporate apologist. Quite the oposite in fact. The days of fair and balanced competition is long long gone, at least in N. America and Europe. Ironically, the Iron Curtain is where it exists mostly (with a dash of the Mob).

So next time you want to lecture us with how great SMS is, you might want to get the facts first, instead of platitudes. SMS is not looking out for you, but looking out for themselves. And they certainly aren't entitled to some pollyannish stroking of their business practices. They were quite large before...and nearly ruined Shift. No...scratch that...they did ruin it...because they were told to, and like all corporate underlings...they do what they are told. Sh*t rolls downhill in the corporate world. But also, fish rots from the head.

I'm actually looking forward to pCARS2 on the console, but I'm under no illusion that they are just your average joe trying to make a buck. They lost that title after pCARS1. Go try to make a console game and you will quickly find out just how anti-capitalistic the practice is. What they are now is significantly well-funded corporate developer with much money to burn...which happens to have good intentions, from the console SIM angle. I can respect at least that...because I want them to prevail over a bigger monster...Turn 10.

Reactions: Bez
Do you ever wonder why console games (that's what we are talking about really) are made by a company that has been sued on two continents for anti-trust violations...and settled one (Bush Jr. got elected to save them in the U.S.). Do you ever wonder why console games are either $50 or $60, with most the latter? Is that a free market? Strange that Sony and Microsoft charge the exact same. Ever wonder why Microsoft's approval process for patches is basically akin to technological censorship? Ask a developer if you know one. I do. Ever wonder why millions of people who invested in pCARS wanted to sue...because they paid to "fund" the game, which SMS said was in lieu of a publisher...and then went straight to a publisher while charging the rest for a game where the developer outright lied about ovals and IndyCar? Ever wonder why Wii users threatened to sue SMS for lying to Wii users about the actual existence of the game?

If you actually study reality and history, instead of listening to your economic professor's platitudes, you will have the right answer. You don't see Kunos lining up to refund console players because they failed to deliver a product that was fit for the purpose for which it was advertised?

I'm not saying that everyone deserves a lawyer, I'm saying buyer beware...but that doesn't assume that the buyer is a corporate apologist. Quite the oposite in fact. The days of fair and balanced competition is long long gone, at least in N. America and Europe. Ironically, the Iron Curtain is where it exists mostly (with a dash of the Mob).

So next time you want to lecture us with how great SMS is, you might want to get the facts first, instead of platitudes. SMS is not looking out for you, but looking out for themselves. And they certainly aren't entitled to some pollyannish stroking of their business practices. They were quite large before...and nearly ruined Shift. No...scratch that...they did ruin it...because they were told to, and like all corporate underlings...they do what they are told. Sh*t rolls downhill in the corporate world. But also, fish rots from the head.

I'm actually looking forward to pCARS2 on the console, but I'm under no illusion that they are just your average joe trying to make a buck. They lost that title after pCARS1. Go try to make a console game and you will quickly find out just how anti-capitalistic the practice is. What they are now is significantly well-funded corporate developer with much money to burn...which happens to have good intentions, from the console SIM angle. I can respect at least that...because I want them to prevail over a bigger monster...Turn 10.

Okey Dokey. Please excuse my earlier posts. I wasn't aware this was a fiction only thread.

I do not mind DLCs as long as it is well priced and the content is good. Most games in the market had done a pretty good job with DLCs so far. Heck, I had been hoping for some DLCs in Dirt 4 or Dirt Rally as the content feels rather thin compared to some games like R3E, Pcars or AMS.

It is scummy when SMS doing all these DLC stuff with Pcars 2 but this is pretty much industry practise now where literally every game has this sort of nonsense preorder DLCs. The retailers want these little carrot on the sticks to push preorders if not they won't put your game at the front of the store.

Heck, even AC did this with the console release yet most people here are ok with it. Ah, the classic "if it does not affect, then it does not matter" mentality.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 75 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 111 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 151 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 288 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 417 39.9%