Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Vandoorne Engine Spa.jpg

The hilarious engine grid penalty rule strikes again in Spa, leaving home driver Stoffel Vandoorne with a 65-place grid drop for Sunday.

Making it so Vandoorne will have to begin the race from the very bottom of the grid tomorrow, yet more woe would be piled on the Belgian driver as Honda confirm they have once again changed engine in the McLaren car, adding to the previously amassed 35-place penalty for the use of an upgraded unit prior to the beginning of the weekend.

Unfortunately for Honda, McLaren and Vandoorne the changes to the Power Unit mean Vandoorne will revert to an older specification, making do without the upgraded parts developed by Honda for this race.

Free Practice 3 and Qualifying continue later today. For all the news and laptimes, check out our Discussion Thread and join the conversation.

65 place penalty... what if they have to change anything else this weekend. This shows how strange FIA rules and regulations of today are. :whistling:

• Deleted member 6919

This part of F1 is just stupidity and has to be sorted...

He might as well be starting from Hungary with that grid drop.
It gives him just as good of a chance.
It's a stupid rule and quite frankly 'team-killing' for the lower budget organizations when it happens.

Yep, especially since it cant do fast corners either. Alonso's Honda conked out because he took Pouhon flat...
The chassis actually looks half decent, what a shame.

I'm just sitting here, thinking about the ridiculous penalty.
Then it comes to my mind that it is for the case of other drivers getting something like 35 grid penalty or 55 grid penalty so they can decide the order of the last places...
Then I think about it again: still ridiculous :rolleyes::laugh:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back